Microsoft signs patent deal with LG, now milking 70% of all US Android smartphones
0. phoneArena 12 Jan 2012, 09:01 posted on
Microsoft has just announced that it has signed a patent deal with LG over Android phones, tablets and other devices, but also for Chrome OS…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bloodline (Posts: 704; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
rather that than sueing trigger happy apple
8. snowgator (Posts: 3350; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
And I would be all over praising Apple if they, Samsung, HTC and all the others must hammered out these types of deals.
2. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Wow so microsoft realizes how powerful Android is and would rather own it than compete against it...not surprising.
5. Mozarrt (Posts: 297; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
And Google blocking Windows Phone 3rd party apps to use Youtube...not surprising.
6. jellytime (Posts: 135; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
They probably do this so they can use the money to improve wp7.
9. snowgator (Posts: 3350; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
While no one really knows or those that know are not saying, yes most rumors say that the money they get from Android does go to support WP. Would make sense.
3. eddieoliveira (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
What is the IP from Microsoft that Android is infringing?
4. bossmt_2 (Posts: 443; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
This is what happens when you own a real patent, not hyper vague patents,
10. snowgator (Posts: 3350; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
By the way, it says a lot for the huge cash cow that is Android that manufacturers can sign these types of deals and still make millions off of Android. I cannot wrap my head around these huge numbers.
12. Tux4g63 (Posts: 118; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
They are not making as much money as we all think they are. Android is hugely popular with consumers, but that is because a lot of the content is free. It is not a hugely profitable "cash cow" like iOS, and even WP7 apps make more money on average. The manufacturers are taking a hit when they produce Android phones, because margin wise, believe it or not, Android phones still lag behind blackberry devices.
13. cdgoin (Posts: 391; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
IF ANYONE saw Windows 6.51 you would know what they are infringing on.. for that matter any of the previous WindowsMobile creations. MS Invented the smart phone when they merged the PDA with the phone in 2000. Everyone forgets that there is a lot of tech patents that different companies have to pay for.. I think Kodak is getting like $1 on any digital camera/smart phone out there because of their patents.
22. dallas90733 (Posts: 36; Member since: 06 Mar 2011)
CD, I am looking at a a window 6.1-6.5 HTC Mogul and I have my SGSII in my hand, where is the infringe you are referring too?
The ONLY two thing these phones have in common is Custom Roms and removable battery..and we all know you ALWAYS have to pull the battery from Microsoft wm-6xx
Microsoft should buy back ( FULL PRICE) anyone who brought this junk
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7030; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
M$-PATENT TROLL. How can u be so proud of youself M$ when youre just bad as Apple. They might not as well make Android products. This is really pissing me off
15. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
fandroids get mad because Apple wants their money( by suing).. now.. but is ok for MS to get it in monthly installments...
17. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Fandroids get mad because Apple sues to ban, not for money.
C'mon gallito. Really?
18. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Maybe if Android would be more "original" instead of copying, well...
21. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 433; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
original like having a pulldown notification bar and live widgets? oh wait.... Apple invented those back in 2000 they just didn't implement them till 2011....
19. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
look CC Apple will gets its money.. they can get it in a lump sum by suing or in monthy payments by settlement.... they want the money now..... sorry forgat you were an Android user and have to repeat it... keep forgetting
16. jibraihimi (Posts: 713; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
This is the reson Steve Balmer looks more happy when a new android phone is launched....... Because he's earning more revenue from the droids, than from his own WP7.......... :)
20. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 433; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
so.... im confused on the "mutual beneficial" part of this..
25. Penny (Posts: 1398; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Microsoft benefits by getting cash. The infringing companies benefit by getting licenses for the patents in questions and are therefore protected from being sued for those infringements. I'm guessing it goes even beyond that and allows the OEMs to use some other patents in Microsoft's portfolio at reduced/no cost.
23. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Microsoft has ALL the biggest Android manufacturers under its' patent portfolio. That's pretty impressive. They said they have 70% of all Android manufacturers.... so 30% are doing something different that doesn't infringe on MS's patents. I'm curious as to why HTC, Samsung ect... don't circumvent the patents that MS holds like the other 30% are doing.
PA: Please find out what patents these are
24. systamatics (Posts: 63; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
what ip thing!! and why cant google work around it?!