Microsoft shows a 7" Windows 8.1 tablet with quad-core Intel Bay Trail (video)
1. tech3 (unregistered)
4. raunak (Posts: 490; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
But thinness is impressive. And it's not a retail product.
14. boosook (Posts: 780; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Actually, the nexus 7 is thinner IMHO... what's more it has a huge bezel!
18. raunak (Posts: 490; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
Nexus 7 is underpowered (more so when you compare it to this) and running Android whereas this is running Windows 8. Not fair to compare.
And again, this device's purpose is to SHOW W8.1 can support small tablets, why would care about it's design or bezel??
5. bon24x7 (Posts: 169; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
but will have more to offer than any other non windows tablet of same size..
7. raunak (Posts: 490; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
And more apps than any other non windows tablet because it can run Bluestacks, old windows apps, and ofcourse apps made specifically for W8.
13. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Error sorry to dissapont you but no.....no it won't have more apps than non w8 tablets....
23. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
as the wp store has 20000 apps, blustacks has more but you need to pay for it.. and old windows apps have hardly over 5000...so no windows 8.1 will have no where near the amount of apps as android or iOS
27. 7thspaceman (Posts: 903; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
buddy if this thing runs windows 8.1 it can run windows 7
windows vista ,windows XP, windows 2000, software.
you must be new to computers there are more than 100000
desktop programs for this Tablet to run the problems with 7 and 8 inch tablets are Price and are the screens too small to really see what you are doing. you might need a
stylus to use word menu items
10. red_fox (Posts: 39; Member since: 07 May 2013)
I agree, the OS is good but the device looks ugly.
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yuck hideous looking, should'ev been the design of the L9 series
2. clevername (Posts: 1407; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Also shows how a wp8.x phablet could have a windows 8-ish ui
6. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 346; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
If Windows 8.1 can be on 7 inch tablet ,then why not on 4 & 5 inch smartphone? Come on MS abandon Windows phone 8 & put Windows 8 pro on 4 & 5 inch smartphone.
29. haseebzahid (Posts: 1775; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
because x86 chips aint so cheap only top flag chip might have not mid ranges
36. -box- (Posts: 3571; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Thanks, but no thanks (for now). I like having 2-day battery life from my Windows Phone, something not yet achievable on the same scale with full Windows. Yet.
12. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
Whatever this prototype looks like...
...Microsoft takes their "loosing" into consideration...
- 8" inchers
- Office included
- new BayTrail platform (ARM like power/battery)...
it looks like they know that they lost the fight - but they are going to win the battle!!!
15. boosook (Posts: 780; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Office in an 8'' tablet... I guess that's what everyone was waiting for! ;-)
19. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
I bought Note8 last week, being a "MS fan" it was a decision after a lot of disapoitment with W8 that i use on my another Tablet PC, devices that are currently on the market etc......so untill these 8" inchers come to the market it will take some time...lets see.
17. GJanee (Posts: 196; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
my only concern is the 2400mAh battery and the projected 5hr usability time. but nevertheless quite a considerable option for a windows 8 tablet.
20. sennarose88 (Posts: 49; Member since: 18 Jun 2009)
Windows (and its desktop apps) really need high DPI support. The interface looks very small, and the scaling mode only makes the icons blurry.
21. khaldoon (Posts: 23; Member since: 17 May 2013)
This summer will be just awesome with the new windows 8.1 , IOS 7 , and Jellybeen 4.3 !!!! Can't wait to see the phones that will host these incredible OSs !!!!!
25. mishooo111 (Posts: 30; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
the desktop mode is just hilarious on this size of screen
windows phone 8 would look better in my opinion
30. vslayer (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
dude this may be short in terms of windows rt apps but this tablet has HUGE selection of legacy apps wake app dude
31. TuanGugu (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Full Windows OS on a 7 inch form factor? BEAUTIFUL... Just need to know performance of the new Intel Atom processor, the pricing and battery life.. Then I might even reconsider buying the Galaxy Note 8.0!
32. speckledapple (Posts: 877; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Wonder what type of programs/games it can handle.
34. max9777 (Posts: 57; Member since: 11 Dec 2011)
The bezel is big enough and then they add that colored cover??? so what the tablet becomes 10 inches with a 7 inch screen?? Lol..
IT does look very catchy, it would be even nice if it was much smaller bezels on it.
35. krimHD (Posts: 106; Member since: 23 May 2012)
this is what MS would have done ever since, its all good, but now i can just imagine how a nokia win8 tablet would be :D