Microsoft sends "ditch that old apple" notes to potential Lumia customers
As CNET’s Chris Matyszczyk reports, Microsoft is sending emails to potential customers literally advising them to “ditch that old apple.” A photo of a bitten and not-so-fresh apple accompanies the text, plus the details: “You deserve something better, like the Nokia Lumia 1020 with a 41 MP camera. Trade in your iPhone 4S and get a Nokia Lumia 1020 or 1520 for free with a 2-year contract."
Yes, the Lumia 1020 is undoubtedly superior to Apple’s iPhone (regardless of model) when it comes to photography. But perhaps not all customers see Windows Phone - and the Lumia 1020 in particular - as being better at anything else. Moreover, many of those who bought an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4 a few years back are probably already owning a new iPhone 5S, and won't switch because they're too familiar with the iOS ecosystem. But we can't blame Microsoft for trying, right?
Unfortunately for Lumia and Windows Phone fans around the world, it doesn’t look like Microsoft has similar offerings for non-US customers. At least not for now.
1. sgodsell (Posts: 1249; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Talk about a desperate plea from Microsoft. Buy our stuff please. They are even willing to give you a free lumia 520 when you buy a year of Xbox music. I guess selling 8.2 million lumias during the holdidays was not good, because the previous quarter they sold 8.9 million lumias. And Nokia sells over 90% of all WP devices. Well considering Android sold 220 million during the same time period.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I find it amusing that all Microsoft/Nokia does is bash the competition yet they're struggling in the mobile world.
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5794; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Maybe it is time for MS to re-think their marketing model? If they are trying to convert someone from iOS or Android to WP, I would think talking about the benefits of WP might be more persuasive than saying your current OS is for sh*t. Of course, if WP doesn't offer any benefits over iOS or Android, that is another kettle of fish....
12. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Indeed! And what's more amusing is that they're putting their latest products on the same level as that "old apple".
41. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3552; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Well, Microsoft obviously has you same haters in fear that WP is actually good because you hate WP but you comment negatively on more WP articles then your platform of choice...
Maybe you guys secretly like WP, but are just to scared to admit it... Besides, why would you read so much about something that's not good?... Its because WP is good isn't it.....
42. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Leave these stupid trolls and haters on their own rodneyej1. Nothing will stop them from trolling WP as they feel insecure as WP is actually better than their laggy and cartoony looking OSes.
45. SleepingOz (unregistered)
LMAO! You, butthurt WP fanboys, can keep telling yourselves that, if it makes you feel better about the subpar platform you're supporting. But NB that reality is a whole different story.
47. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Your talking about reality while you live in your imaginery world where Android is the best OS? Guess what, it is a laggy, bug infested mess only at the top cuz of the ultra-ultra cheap Chinese and other handsets.
48. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Well, I've never mentioned Android being the best here. Must be what's on your mind. Glad you do think so.. =] Which is best is subjective though. But, like it or not, fact is Android is the most advanced and most capable mobile OS out there. I'm not talking about marketshare here, I'm talking about flexibilty, versatility, features, ecosystem and support(oems and 3rd parties), which WP seems to be lacking. Again the same old fallacious arguments, android runs perfectly smooth on low end phones like the Moto G, yet offers much much more than high end WPs.
Bug infested? Really? What bugs are you talking about?!
But then again for delusional WP fanboys like you, I have only one thing to say, keep deluding yourself if it makes you feel better for support a subpar platform. =]
51. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3552; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
If the platform is so "sub par" then why does it interest you so much?
52. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Really? Does it?
8. ihavenoname (Posts: 1402; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Microsoft has been desperate since Windows 8 came out and it's getting worse. Microsoft thinks that it's cooler than it actually is.
14. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1587; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I like how when it's Microsoft, it's desperate, but anyone else it's perfectly ok. It's called marketing, get over it.
30. Liveitup (Posts: 1252; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Yet despite all that you stated Android and iOS are copying Windows Phone
55. rgb66rgb (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Feb 2014)
I have willingly and thankfully given up my iphone 5 -- total crap device. Love my lumina 1020, and no, not through this offer.
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 11450; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
MS is getting desperate, and why? Wp8 is already a great platform, but not too many iOS, or android users will be jumping ship. I wouldn't mind having a lumia, but nothing replaces my 5s, it's just that damn good.
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Exactly. No WP8 can beat the experience from an iPhone, especially the 5S.
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 11450; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Why do u think they're taking this approach?
13. Finalflash (Posts: 1765; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
To go for the bad boy route, they want to make it look like they're the tough cool guys in town. But it's insulting the intelligence of their potential customers.
15. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1587; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Now watch them have record sales ahahahahahha
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Microsoft and Nokia are thirsty for market share. That 3.8% global isn't anything against the 92% both Android and iOS accumulate. They want what they can't have.
PS - Getting a iPad Mini w/ Retina soon in Space Gray. :)
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 11450; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You'll love it, the form factor alone is reason enough. I have the 64 gig white one, it's a huge step up from my iPad 3 in terms of speed, looks, fluidity, and comfort. I don't think I'll ever buy another full size iPad, and to think I actually though small tablets were a waste lol. +1 thanx for the response.
29. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1319; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
The two OS's are a lot "mature" than WP, and that is why you didn't expect WP to shoot to over 20% market share. They're still growing. Something that may not have happened with most other mobile OS.
And you can't tell what they can't have. Things may change in favour of ios or against Android. Or in favour of WP alone.
35. nokia12 (Posts: 324; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
But they don't even have 5% market share after 3 years.. that along with low sales in holiday quarters.. also keep in mind even that 4 % market share around 70 % of the share is controlled by low end Lumias like 520,620,610,710 .. people just aren't buying mid to high end lumias.. and i can gurantee that whatever they have managed is because of NOKIA and not windows phone.. Remove NOKIA name and their sales will fall.. People just don't like Tiles maybe you do or a few others do but that is a very small group of people.. Windows phone doesn't offer anything Unique or special than android and iOS so that people will jump ship and those who have jumped is because OF NOKIA and their Awesome Pureview Cameras
40. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I'm sorry if you feel offended by the following:
You aren't a true Nokia fan. If you were, you would support Nokia's every move regardless of whether they chose Android or WP. Instead bashing about the low marketshare of Nokia & WP, which only non-Nokians would do, you being a Nokia fan don't support Nokia. So what if it chose WP over Android? If you didn't like the move you could always move away from Nokia. And about the low marketshare in 3 years, let me remind you and everyone else that the iPhone didn't get REAL consumer attention until the iPhone 4 was released, which was a great phone and sold superbly well. WP is growing fast. No one can deny that. Its already the second most popular OS in 24 markets. The only reason it struggles with overall marketshare is because it doesn't sell well in key markets like the US, China & Japan. However, that will and should change soon after Microsoft have full control of Nokia. Being a Nokia fan, I'm happy that Microsoft bought Nokia since Nokia was struggling by itself and instead of being eventually bought by a Chinese company or any other American tech giant, I would have preffered MS purchasing Nokia. Whether you like WP or not, you must always support every move of your favorite company.
39. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Three years later and WP only grabbed 3.8%. Seems to me it's struggling a lot.
46. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1319; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Struggling compared to the top two, but growing.
49. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
At the rate it's going, it won't hit over 6% by the end of this year.
53. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1319; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Again, you wouldn't know. The marketshare of Android may go down at the end of this year while that of iOS and/or WP rise. But that's just a possibility. WP doesn't seem to be going down.
37. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Aren't all companies thirsty for marketshare regardless of their position in the market?
43. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Is it why WP is selling better than the iPhone in many markets??
3. cleat-glitch (Posts: 93; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
they would just give you store credit...an that may not even equal the value of the lumia
36. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5794; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
How do you figure that MS is only giving you store credit? The ad is pretty specific - bring in a working iP4/4S with no cracked screen, water damage, etc. plus the original accessories that were included with the phone (earbuds + charger), and with a 2 year contract, you get a free L1020 or L1520. That isn't store credit that may not even equal the value of the L1020 or L1520.
4. Xenaz (Posts: 93; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
This kind of stupid ads will only keep customer away from you, MS
5. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
People keep forgetting that every company tries different ways to try to market their products. Microsoft aren't desperate since the sales of WP devices is increasing everyday. However, most trolls won't understand this and will keep on hating on this article.
16. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1587; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Exactly, this Microsoft haters don't understand. Any different type of marketing other than their beloved Apple is sad and desperate. The haters are the ones that are sad and desperate!
19. bucky (Posts: 1441; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Nobody here is even offended. I have no clue what your talking about.
28. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1587; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Please read comment 1, 2, 7 and 8 then. I'm sure there is more but I shouldn't have to find and read them for you.
32. bucky (Posts: 1441; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Where is the blind hatred and desperation? I only see opinions that everyone sees in both android and ios camps.
Maybe you should read them yourself before posting, let alone recommending someone else read them
11. sianto (Posts: 65; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
So this is what the new CEO does, try to make Apple look bad. And doing so while your own promised notification center is already delayed 1.5 years.
I have a bad feeling about Microsoft.
17. elitewolverine (Posts: 1614; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
So when samsung ran ads for two years straight against apple on how much 'more awesome' their phones were and that iphones were for old hippies and not cool young kids, that was cool?
hmmmmm droid/apple fans are desperately blinded
18. bucky (Posts: 1441; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
To me, MS just doesn't have anything that differentiates itself. That feature that everyone wants. Apple has the cloud macs, and ease of use, android has customization and selection. I just don't see anything that stands out for MS.
25. bucky (Posts: 1441; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
The iPhone and htc one are also great quality.
34. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Yet HTC isn't able to sell millions of Ones
38. hurrycanger (Posts: 1134; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Okay... then Nokia has the camera part left.
That's the only reason the Lumia flagships are for anyway. At least according to many of their commercials...
44. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Meaning of flagships for Fandroids - quad/octa core CPU, 3/4 GB RAM, 4000mAh battery
Meaning of flagships for REAL smartphone users and fans - any amount of cores, but the interface should be smooth and lag-free, any amount of RAM as long as the apps run fine ans fluid, any amount mAh of a battery as long as the OS utilizes it perfectly and offers great battery life.
I respect iPhone users on this front as they want an ACTUAL flagship never minding the specs, unlike stupid fandroids who are only after the specs cuz their OS lags on any number cores present on the phone
50. hurrycanger (Posts: 1134; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
lol, did you just went full....
1. Most Android flagships now don't even have 3gb of ram. The Note 3 is the only flagship to have that.
2. Most Android flagships now don't have octa core CPU.
3. Most Android flagships now don't have 4000 mAh battery. (Is there any?)
4. Fandroid =/= Samsung fanboy
5. The CPU in the iPhone 5S is a good one. The number of cores doesn't really matter as long as the CPU itself is good. The Moto X also works very well with its dual core (the rest aren't cores for performance).
6. Lumia 1520 has the same specs as most popular Android flagships nowadays.
* The Lumia 1520 must be a flagship phone meant for Fandroids? Oh yeah~~~
Still, since you went off topic there, I would like to get you back on it. What stands out for Microsoft's WP OS? Don't get on the "lag" game again cuz I my Galaxy Mega 6,3 is pretty smooth. You can look up its specs. :)
21. papss (unregistered)
Hmm a 1020 or 1520 for an iPhone 4/4s? Not a tough decision unless you are stupid.
26. hurrycanger (Posts: 1134; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Looking at the Lumia 1020 on AT&T website, I can see that it costs only $100 on a two year contract. You are actually getting $100 for the iPhone 4/4S in this "deal".
I agree with your statement. I have to say that one should clearly stick with the old 4/4S/S2 unless he/she is stupid. ;)
27. bucky (Posts: 1441; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
The iPhone is worth $250 easily if it's in good shape on kijiji/craigslist. You honestly think that's a good deal? Honestly?
22. hurrycanger (Posts: 1134; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Microsoft is desperate, yet they still have to fool customers with that "free with a two-year contract". Bogus. It's like getting $100-$200 off a phone, not free. A used 4S can still be sold for around $200. Microsoft is just buying it at "market price" and you have to buy a Lumia 1020 or 1520 in exchange.
Most iPhone users better off sell the used 4S then use that money toward an iPhone 5S or something.
54. puckhead (Posts: 76; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Only Microsoft first sgroogle now ditch that old apple lmao