Microsoft said to be working on its own Windows Phone 8 handsets
0. phoneArena 21 Jun 2012, 16:42 posted on
Microsoft may not stop at tablets - they are reportedly working to build their own smartphone as well, despite the risk of OEM flight...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. downphoenix (Posts: 2687; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Looks like the Nokia buyout going on behind the scenes is on schedule.
22. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
If MS will do this, then nokia will surely scratch they're head thinking what's next? MS should continue what it's doing right now. We don't need a phone from MS which doesn't have any experience like nokia when in terms of building a quality product. MS should do what Google did with Galaxy nexus. Continue their partnership with nokia and build a flagship phone for the platform.
3. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
after the surface announcement I'm looking forward to what microsoft can put out. I still have night mares about the kin though.
4. downphoenix (Posts: 2687; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
The Kin was't a bad product, it was just marketed badly and forced onto a smartphone phone even though it wasnt a smartphone, it was just a feature phone slightly beefed up. Verizon is the main failure here, any of the other major carriers would have properly treated it as a feature phone and it could have been a decent success on another carrier.
5. Penny (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Well, this rumor was to be expected. It's hard to tell if this is a legit possibility because it would be very easy for someone to throw out this guess right now after Microsoft announced its own tablet.
6. jtech (Posts: 101; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
Its does indeed sound like microsoft will buy out Nokia and use them as the phone sector, but who knows maybe maybe not
7. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1063; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Microsoft is really starting to look like a mix of google and Apple. Sounds good on paper .
8. Ruckus (Posts: 277; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Let's just hope they don't "red ring" ^_^…
On a serious note I'm rather anxious to see if they do! Competition only benefits us the consumer!
9. pegasso (Posts: 225; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
no one will buy Nokia Lumia knowing current Lumia phones won't get any WP8 update
(and there will be no WP8 phones until october).
now, MS is leaving Nokia and working on its own phones...
i wonder what will going to happen to Nokia for the next three months?
10. rinawan (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
yap, i agree.. Why Lumia 900 wont get WP8 update too?? :)
27. SherlockHolmes (Posts: 125; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
No the current phones will get the Win 7.8 Update !!
24. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
WELL IF U DIDNT WATCHED THE ANNOUNCEDMENTS THEY USED lUMIA DEMO PHONES FOR WIN8
11. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
why would it be bad for Nokia? The reference device is built by Nokia, if MS release their own phone, it will probably be made by Nokia. More $$ for Nokia.
It's no different from Google who also make their own andriod phone in direct competition with their other OEM.
28. tegradragon (Posts: 68; Member since: 23 May 2012)
Thats Google with MASSIVE other companies you're talking about. Samsung, HTC to name a few. Nokia is a company hanging by a thread right now. Samsung's quarter profits are equivalent to what Nokia earns in 5 years.
And how does it make sense when you say Nokia will earn money??
30. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
fact is Nokia is still selling millions of phones. India, China, South East Asia. UEA...
Aside from Smartphone, and WP, Nokia is selling lots of feature phones, internet access is not prevalent in most other countries, and super costly. Most countries do not run with under sea super cable like Singapore or South Korea.
USA is just a new market for Nokia, and that's a smartphone market. Yes, Nokia will be finished, if it depends only on the North American markets.
That said, the Lumia 900 have to be restocked from carriers a few times, since it's launch a month ago in Taiwan, China, Singapore....
31. tegradragon (Posts: 68; Member since: 23 May 2012)
Fact is, I'm an Indian. So being a local i know the condition. Given there are 1.3 billion people here, but Nokia's figures have been on a dive. People have been opting for phones by local manufacturers which throw in a touch screen and stuff at pretty much the same cost Nokia has been providing low-end 12 key-pad phone. Nokia is in a big crisis and if Microsoft starts making its own phone, Nokia will go bankrupt.
12. kanagadeepan (Posts: 760; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Well, this time they don't bring the TORTOISE shaped KIN again, let's hope...
13. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
They´re just gonna do what google does with the Nexus.
14. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
15. tiara6918 (Posts: 1910; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Maybe microsoft shouldn't be making its own windows phone 8 just yet. Let's first see how many windows phone 8(made by nokia,htc,samsung and huawei)can be sold.
26. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
they are setting the refrence design for OEMs as they stated in Surface presentation so other OEMs can have some baseline benchmark
17. snowgator (Posts: 3346; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
It's possible. MS sure has a ton of pokers in the flame. It will be interesting to see what is true and what ain't. Also will be interesting to see what works and doesn't. Tough to tell anymore.
18. SmartPhoneStream (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
I'm very interested, as an Android user i really don't know what to expect when i switch to windows phone 8 when my upgrade is up, I really like the Surface but i think i'm going to have to go with the ASUS Taichi
19. hung2900 (Posts: 873; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Nokia's stock will go down more. I think that's Microsoft's strategy to buy out Nokia.
20. rpankaj (Posts: 29; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
if Nokia is hardware partner, then they have a lot of pennies to sit n count.. If they r not, then they have nothing just to sit n watch ios, android n Microsoft selling products.... no one will buy nokia wen ms release its wwin8 phone
21. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
Nokia would be dead if MS releases a killer WP8 device. No one will get a Nokia device.. but Nokia could also very well be the hardware partner, so yea.. i guess it depends on how much MS values Nokia.. if MS goes with some other brand, say HTC for example, Nokia sales will nose dive and the company will be forced into bankruptcy. and then, possibly, MS might buy Nokia and do to Nokia what Google is intending to do with Motorola.. ah well, we have to wait and see
23. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1314; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
The Nokia 900's body I believe will get a new high def screen and the new internal Electronic guts to run Windows phone 8 but my guess is it will be a branded a Microsoft
smart phone because things look so bad for Nokia that Microsoft will have to buy Nokia and use Nokia's expertise to make Microsoft Branded smart phones and Tablet
computers. "HELLO Microsoft Mobile device manufacturing devision" Looks like it will be in business by September 2012
25. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
What if the contracted manufacturer is indeed Nokia itself? Duh...
32. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1314; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Microsoft is Opening brick and motor stores they need stuff of their own to sell in them
so they will sell their own branded smart phones in them and their Oem partners will get mad and sell only one model of windows phone 8
33. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yes! my dreams are finally coming true! Windows 8 phone & tablet by microsoft...
34. cdgoin (Posts: 383; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
All I know is I have stocked up on a FEW Dell Venue Pros.. I LOVE the DVP phone, and could care less if its Android or WindowsPhone (Although I prefer WP). But I want a QWERTY Portrait slider that is NOT a blackberry. MY hands and big thumbs can NOT use a onscreen keyboard. Even found the one on the HD7 too small.