Microsoft releasing "Switch to Windows Phone" app to lure Android users
0. phoneArena 25 Apr 2013, 09:49 posted on
Early last year, we did a series of articles about what an Android user should expect if they were to decide to switch to Windows Phone 7. We found that aside from the lack of Google apps, the switch probably wouldn't be as difficult as you might expect for the common user. Obviously, it would be far trickier if you are a Google power user. Well, it looks like Microsoft might have come across that series, because there is a new report that the company is planning to launch a "Switch to Windows Phone" app to lure Android users...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I will definitely switch to WP next time! I will!
MARK MY WORDS!! $_$
11. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
The Things you can do on An Android Phone , r the things u can neva do on any other mobile platform (Currently)...it is close to my pc experience...so its a No for me ..i am a Power User !!!
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Well, I'm a "mediumcore" gamer, not hardcore, so I need to wait for the WP Store to increase more games. And I love smartphones, that's why I'm always interested on many smartphones. (iPhone not included) :P
17. Lboogey6 (Posts: 281; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
thumbs up for the last part lol but yea idk just nothing appealing to me about windows for some reason. i'd actually take the z10 or the new bb phone coming in the fall (provided the apps that i use come)
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
In my opinion, BB and WP is not bad at all, only those idiots keep bashing them.
By the way, good luck with your choice! :)
23. designerfx (Posts: 76; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
what does hardcore-ness have to do with any specific type of phone?
25. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Hardcore = Android
Mediumcore = Windows Phone and BlackBerry
Jailbreak = iOS DUH! :P
(If you know what I mean)
29. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
If you are still referring to gaming (like your previous post), "hardcore" doesn't apply to any of these platforms. That term should apply to PCs and consoles only.
32. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Huh? But if you see the smartphone reviews, you can hear the reviewer said "hardcore gamer", I swear I heard that!
45. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
All thumbs down by Nokia wp users™
Theres no Android fans or users on this posts®
49. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Actually, there're few Android users including me and you and StreetNerd and noim1.
51. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Thats right, just imagine all the htc sony samsung and android users were posting here, there wouldev been 80 thumbs down.
By android users. But sadly all of the regular posters are not posting or are bothered to come on this article™
75. lyndon420 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I don't thumb down...that's for douches who can't justify their decisions.
74. lyndon420 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Uhmm hello? And what am I - an urbanphantom?
86. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oops sorry, I almost forgot you two!
Ok, and there are few Android users including lyndon420 and urbanphantom too!
53. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
TROLL to the rescue, huh? You must have a lot of free time to burn away for nothing...
35. StreetNerd (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
why would u play games on a phone?! baby much?
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Why won't you play games on a smartphone? I don't get it!
16. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 9954; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Just being able to do those things doesn't make it the best choice.
26. eliasafram7 (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
man please for one time keep calm and don't make any comment because each time u do ur comments are thumbed down more than up
62. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3537; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
See that's the thing, at least there is a choice. It may not be the best thing for some people, in that case they have the choice to not do it. For others it is the best thing, and they can choose to use it. I don't know what it is about people these days who are afraid of choice. If they're indecisive or prefer someone else having control over them, I don't know. But just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it, but if it's not there in the first place, all you're doing is limiting your choice and potential.
89. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3537; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Wow, being thumbed down advocating for choice. Hope you're living in a police or totalitarian state, otherwise you're gonna be unhappy.
15. joey_sfb (Posts: 5180; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
What the point of forcing myself to use a lesser platform. My money is always to get the best value for me!
24. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nobody forces you. It depends on what you're interested or what you want. I choose Android is because that's what I want, I will choose WP next time is because I'm interested on it.
It's simple! :P
28. jsdechavez (Posts: 715; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Some people are so closed-minded (like iOS) they're so not willing to adapt or atleast try out new ecosystems. Maybe they need to be jailbroken first.
81. joey_sfb (Posts: 5180; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I did try out lumia 920 in a store. Out of the 8 apps that I use regularly, only one exist on WP platform, with no sdcard and removable battery its also a compromise in my book. Plus the phone is much thicker than note 2.
Anyway, hope you find it to serve you well.
2. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
This is actually a pretty good idea. The biggest issue with getting Android users into the WP ecosystem is the apps. Maybe something like this could stimulate growth for WP.
12. designerfx (Posts: 76; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
nobody should use WP, as they're suing everyone for patnts. That is already well known.
Why support a company that's competing by suing?
18. moolotovzz (Posts: 24; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Chill mate, nobody spends more in corts than Samsung and Apple ;) They should switch to BF, COD of CS deathmatches though, would be fun to whatch :D
20. designerfx (Posts: 76; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
I would like that to happen instead of lawsuits for all of these companies. Honestly, when that was requested by notch I think it was a great idea.
Meanwhile, you are correct that apple spends the most, followed by barnes and nobles defending themselves, followed by MS, followed by possibly google or samsung (unsure). Doesn't mean it's all for the same reasons, though. It just means that all that money has no business being spent in lawsuits.
55. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
When you feel ready to give your house and car away for free, drop me a line, okay? If not, then shut-up about the immorality of patent based lawsuits. It's strictly a matter of protecting what is rightfully yours, and Nokia does not owe it to Google, Samsung, or HTC to give them a free ride...
63. tigermcm (Posts: 851; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
If im not mistaken MS gets companies to just pay royalties. The company suing everyone for patents is APPLE you speak of
19. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 9954; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
WP already has more consistent support and more stability with their OS. I think the apps is what's stopping many people from making the switch.
42. 14545 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
What proof do you offer to validate this claim? Seriously? We get you have an irrational hate for android, but just stop already.
76. lyndon420 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Lack of apps yes, but more likely due to it being uncustomizable. You may not understand this yet but a lot of people like to be unique and different from everyone else. Choice goes a long way.
82. Aeires (unregistered)
Exactly why I'll never switch to a Windows Phone. What color you want your tiles isn't my idea of customizing a phone.
I started with Android when the G1 came out and you could go through the entire market in less than a day. Lack of apps didn't worry me, the complete freedom to do what I wanted to my phone far outweighed app count.
I would buy a Nokia Android phone if they made the jump though.
83. jroc74 (Posts: 5961; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Maybe, just maybe...I know this is a wild idea....ppl just like Android better? Or dont really like or want WP that much?
Other OS's might offer more in those dept....but Android is doing just fine.
46. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Its not apps, its the closed restrictead os, wanabe of Half android and ios™
56. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Closed restricted OS? It's called security - oh wait, that doesn't exist on Android. No wonder you find the concept alien!
WP is just fine, and paid bashers like yourself have no credibility.
3. Astro551 (Posts: 46; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
not sure if saying "we have equivalent of your phone" is enough to sway android users. though it's a good start for those "lack of app" fearing souls.
5. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i say this app is good on android since it will let u know before what u want rather u get pokerface -_- after buying like "wt**F i wasnt told of this thing or that thing" good job MS
6. lhtbinh1909 (Posts: 89; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
ok my next phone will run WP if WP has good keyboard layout in my language
been waiting for it since WP 7
7. mydi.maus (unregistered)
apple should make iphone APP too.to lure andriod /windows/blackberry.(if DISAGREE thumb me UP)
9. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol does they need it all apps come from apple >> to other OS i asume if not entirely true while i am not the fan of IOS i would not lie
30. jsdechavez (Posts: 715; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Haha. A colleague of mine just got a new Galaxy S3 and she's so disappointed the carrier had no available stock of the HTC 8S that she just had to immediately find a Windows Phone launcher for it pronto. She's so happy with her Live Tiles. And it looks like an Ativ S now too.
10. amats69 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
nice try..but for now ill stay with Android for Mobile and iOS for Tablet
22. designerfx (Posts: 76; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
now this is suspicious, why would someone thumb down amats's comment?
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1425; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
lol, Apps? Of all the things they could promote they go for apps? Seriously Microsoft, get your sh*t together
31. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I think you're missing the point. The biggest downfall to moving on to WP from Android is the difference in the apps. This new app could help quite a few people make a more educated decision on whether they want to make the switch.
84. jroc74 (Posts: 5961; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Whats funny about Apple and MS is Google didnt and doesnt really have to resort to these things to get ppl to try or want Android. They just offer it to the world....and let the chips fall where they may.
Says alot about Android. At one time it was 1-3 phones....depending on which year you wanna start from. The G1, 2008 or the Droid 1 and Eris 2009. Going up against Win Mo, BB, Palm and the iPhone...
33. lyndon420 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Yeah...like this app will ever make it to Google's Play Store.
59. lyndon420 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
An app on a competitors app store that is designed to try and take you away from your current ecosystem? If it happens, then I guess ms will have to let Google do the same in an effort to lure people away from ms's ecosystem. Correct?
66. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2696; Member since: 26 May 2011)
As far as I know, the Play Store has no rules to that effect. WP very well could. Apple almost definitely does.
68. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2696; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Oh and also, why do you think Microsoft has put out this news? If Google squashes the app, suddenly everyone has a go-to example of how Android isn't really open. Of course, Google should just make the distinction that Android is open but the Google layer isn't, and that includes the Play Store. This could force that issue if you're right on Google's reaction.
73. Topcat488 (Posts: 1391; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Last time i read/heard, Google tossed out "Adblock Plus", so I don't think Google would give a damn about who thinks their not open!!! Especially what MS is doing with those "Scroogle" Ads... ;/ I'm Android for Life Baby!
79. lyndon420 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
You make a good point. So Google could let it in and ms will go down in current history with the least downloaded app in the Play Store lol. If the day comes that Google suddenly feels desperate for sales then they might pull the same stunt. But...I think the time has come where Google should start scaling back apps from other ecosystems - apple (for example) to my knowledge hasn't released any of their apps to other platforms.
34. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I will never switch too windows. As much i love nokia hardware but it won't let me switch not in a million years
41. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2696; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Good to know you're keeping your mind open...