Microsoft realizes Windows 8 UI is silly, starts referring to it as Modern UI
0. phoneArena 10 Aug 2012, 11:02 posted on
We'll just come right out and say it, Microsoft has some major issues with naming that it needs to sort out. First, the company decided to reuse the name of its tabletop touchscreen (only seen on network news) for its new line of tablets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I'd like it if they sticked to Metro, because it reminds me of South Park. :P
2. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
On Engadget I read that Microsoft chose to go with Windows 8 simply
3. WinC76 (unregistered)
Well, this does sound a lot better. Windows 8 UI just sounded awful.
4. alexandermatthews (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I read somewhere the reason they are going away from Metro UI is because a company over in europe uses the name Metro and they were going to sue. It's a shame really because Metro is the perfect name for their UI. Considering they were going with Subway Metro tiles as the reference.
8. chuckhriczko (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Yep. A German company by the name of Metro AG had Microsoft change it
5. Avinash.Meeniga (Posts: 15; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
naming it " Live UI " would also be nice
10. Gawain (Posts: 405; Member since: 15 Apr 2010)
That's a winner right there. I don't much worry about what they will call it. I don't care for Android OS much anymore, iOS is driving me crazy, and as much as I hope BB OS 10 is a hit, I suspect it will show failures in some other fashion that will grind me away. I've dabbled in WP7 before and am very excited about the WP8 changes...so here we go!
27. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Please tell me what is soo much more better about windows phones from an android phone? or even apple (other than apples price range) but still what is soo much more better about windows phones that would make you leave, and/or overlook these two?
31. jojobells (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Sep 2011)
I think Adobe has several of "Live" named products. ex: LiveCycle, LiveMotion, Flash Media Live Encoder...
That could be a problem for MS...
42. levvy (Posts: 33; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Give thanks to God,you suggested a very nice name and the company is not the Apple. if it were Apple, then Apple would sue you for patent infringement as you used the ipatented term of them. Hell, you are lucky.LOL
6. djripster (Posts: 138; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Wonder if they will ditch Windows someday and call it XOS it goes in line with one of their most popular products, the XBox and Windows 10 is not too far around the corner..
:P But I am sure Apple will have something to say about the choice of using X and OS
17. chebner (Posts: 172; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
What? Does Apple own Roman numerals now too?
22. djripster (Posts: 138; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Well they appararently own the rectangular shape and the words app and store :)
Wouldn't mind owning an XPhone or an XSlate someday
7. cityeighteen (Posts: 40; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
Despite the official name change, I'm still going to call it Metro UI. I've been used to the term ever since I started using the Zune HD in 2009, and I just can't think of another term that makes sense to me.
14. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Same here. Although I just started using WP only last December 2011, I am now so used to saying metro to describe the UI so I'll continue doing it. Let Metro AG sue me! Never thought i would but I have now come to love the metro UI by the way!
9. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
MS UI might be ok since it will stick to MS always :P
11. Hammerfest (Posts: 380; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Renamed it for ya MS old buddy old pal...
Been on since DOS, and used WM2002 all the way through WM6.5, when WP7 came out I tried it for a good month before jumping over to Android. The "metro" ui is just FUGLY and HINDERING if you truly multi-task and like to take control of your system and do things the way YOU want to.
20. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Whether or not you like the design of Metro, saying that it hinders multitasking is just silly. The Windows Phone system has limitations on multitasking, Metro has nothing to do with it. If WP could truly multitask, Metro would be just as nice as Android 4.x for switching tasks.
40. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
lol... android can't "multitask" properly either. If you want "true multitasking" try Symbian, which in my opinion is the only platform that does it correctly.
I expect things will improve once Intel launches its next generation of 22nm SOC's. In theory a 64 bit X86 smartphone is not out of the question, however a lot of work would need to be done to make it a reality. Either way, android is toast over the coming years.
15. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Although I like metro better, I'm not averse to calling it Live Tiles. I think it describes the beautiful UI very well. I have come to love this UI so much since I started using WP last December 2011.
26. Jyakotu (Posts: 832; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Live Tiles actually sounds perfect for the UI. Despite the press pictures of the WP7/8 UI, seeing them in person is WAY different. There's a lot of activity going on with the tiles themselves due to them updating and whatnot. Yeah, MS should definitely use Live Tiles for the UI name. I'm excited for Windows 8 and I'm definitely going to install it for my laptop.
28. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
floor tiles UI... but this is pathetic... microsoft is really bad at making names... metro UI sounds good but i really dont know why or what make them change the name...
but Live UI is wayyy better than Modern UI....
i like BlackBerry 10 UI..Flow UI...
13. Aeires (unregistered)
MS8. They are tying their ecosystem together across all their products, why not? They also have named each iteration of Windows.
16. phitch (Posts: 214; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I know what they should call it -- Windows useless front end ui! Because 99% of the programs are going to make you switch into desktop mode anyway.
18. GoBears (Posts: 437; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I like modern much better. Metro just reminds me of those skinny jean wearing pansies getting manicures at the beach haha.
23. djripster (Posts: 138; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
If its going to be around for awhile just call it UIX
As in XBox
30. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
that sounds good.. but itthink Metro UI is best... but if they dont like it.. live UI sounds good.. but for me flip UI.. since its campagne ad is "your life is just a flip away" (its the campagne of WP lumia here in the Philippines)
33. AeroPrime (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Dude they cant use the Metro UI thats why i am suggesting.
32. jtech (Posts: 101; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
I like Matrix UI or hoew about HD UI since the Zune HD's UI inspired it. Or Windows UI
35. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1367; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Yoo Microsoft this may seem trivial to you but if you want People to like your Windows "8 Style UI" tiles please round off the corners of the Tiles. People have been found to like to look at rounded off objects more than objects with sharp corners on them. Also it would not hurt to put some artful design in the Windows "8 Style UI" tiles
they look too bland and Blocky. some of the OLD windows Icons look better
39. GoBears (Posts: 437; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
They can't. Apple patented rounded corners, remember?