Microsoft plans to boot Chrome, Mozilla off of Windows tablets
0. phoneArena posted on 10 May 2012, 15:06
It turns out that Microsoft has no intention of allowing competing browsers onto Windows RT ARM-based tablets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 15:34 3 2
thanks for throwing that up. The RT version is the "lite" version of W8. The higher end intel x86 tablets will be full W8, and thus not applicable.
Also, I just dont think that it will stand for very long. If enough W7/W8 users cry foul to make them think they will lose business, they will change positions on the issue.
Also, there is next to no way for them to lock out Google Music since it has a browser based client for non-android phones. My music library is safe. :)
21. Nick040489 posted on 10 May 2012, 15:49 2 1
If you don't much like Phonearena's journalistic standards then why exactly are you reading this story? If you aren't confident with a news site giving you accurate news then why come to it. I honestly get my news from a lot of sites. Some of them say the same thing some don't.
Also I'm not sure how you figure Windows RT is not Windows 8. It's a version of Windows 8. That means it's Windows 8! Today's tablets are different from tablet pcs. You know because of the hardware. Windows 8 pcs whether they are like tablets or not are not tablets. Tablets today include ARM processors and they are a lot cheaper than tablet pcs. So your so called "facts" about the subject aren't very reliable.
25. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 15:52 1 1
windows RT is basically the upgrade to WP7 as it stands. Its not full windows8, which is why it gets the little "RT" at the end. Its for ARM based devices only.
Windows8 tablets get the full W8 treatment like the desktops do. There is actually a pretty substantial difference between W8 and W8-RT. For comparison purposes its like wondering why iOS and MacOS are not exactly the same.
30. Nick040489 posted on 10 May 2012, 16:00 1 1
I understand that. Both 8 and RT have the same code. Yea it's modified for what it needs to work on but that's my point. He said that Windows 8 and Windows RT aren't the same thing. They are with differences in configuration.
33. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 16:06 0 0
The look of both versions will be the same, and yea it may be based on the same code, but there is a lot of different code in each one. Both a 4x4 truck on super swampers and a ferrari are automobiles and share similar parts like engines and tires, but their uses are quite different. RT is a split off the same branch as W8 on the MS tree, but it is still a split.
32. bigdawg23 posted on 10 May 2012, 16:01 3 0
You might want to do some research yourself. I can put Skyfire on my iPad 1, iPad and Former iPHone. Google doesn't block apps on my HTC Vivid with ICS. I can use many browsers.
As for IE, until IE 9, their browsers BLOW. They are slow and a security vulnerability. Chrome launches instantly and no sluggishness.
37. Scott_H posted on 10 May 2012, 16:10 1 0
Hi Stevey - thanks for taking an interest in the article. I'm well aware of the distinction between the ARM and x86 versions (having in fact written some of the articles breaking the distinction some months ago), but Google and Mozilla both planned to make web browsers for Windows RT as well and just realized that Microsoft won't allow any outside developers to make a browser or a media player for Windows RT (it's not just us, take a look around the web, it's a big stink).
Also, I'm afraid you are flat-out wrong about the iPad. While it's obviously true that OSX apps don't run on the iPad, and Apple is fairly restrictive of how much novel code you can put into an alternative browser, you are allowed to do it, and many people find they prefer those alternative web browsers, such as Skyfire, Opera Mini, and Dolphin.
So exactly as indicated in the article, Windows RT will be more restrictive on what developers can make for the mobile OS than iOS is.
8. theBankRobber posted on 10 May 2012, 15:31 4 2
Its only a matter of time, Microsoft can't touch the bright minds of XDA. The more control they try to have, the more hackers will push to break through. After getting hit hard from the Motorola patent infringement suit recently, I guess this will be there way of getting back and Google. Lol
38. LordOfTroll (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 16:12 1 2
Moto will get it from the antitrust on that soon, quit saying something totally unrelated to this.
55. theBankRobber posted on 10 May 2012, 17:06 1 0
Anti trust??? Haha LMFAO, we saw how the whole WIFI thing worked out. Im sure Motorola has their reasons for doing what they did as Microsoft had their reasons for suing android OEM's .
15. taco50 (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 15:38 1 7
This is interesting. Looks like Windows wants to lock down their tablets beyond anything Apple does. I wonder what android fans responses will be?
18. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 15:42 8 2
that your a troll. Why do you care what "android fans" think about a Microsoft product? shouldnt you be asking Windows Phone users what they think??
Seriously, WTF is wrong with you.
19. troybuilt posted on 10 May 2012, 15:47 4 2
I know, I was thinking this myself. Why do we care what MS does with their products? I think taco has smoked some bad crack or something. Taco needs some serious psychiatric help.
23. Cwebb posted on 10 May 2012, 15:50 6 1
Stop feeding the troll, just let him ramble on to himself
26. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 15:54 5 1
i..just.. cant.. help .. it.. anymore. its like playing wak-a-troll. Been doing it so long its more reflex than anything.
67. Non_Sequitur posted on 10 May 2012, 17:45 1 1
Oh my gosh. So true.
29. troybuilt posted on 10 May 2012, 15:58 3 1
That's why I call him iTroll. You give him facts and he still doesn't understand. I don't know why he keeps trying. It must be the Apple OCD he's on today.
66. Non_Sequitur posted on 10 May 2012, 17:45 1 0
47. gallitoking posted on 10 May 2012, 16:55 0 5
he cares because he has an opinion and since the ball is in some else court.. see if you guys responded the same.?...
22. Sniggly posted on 10 May 2012, 15:50 3 1
You got our response. Not buying a Windows tablet if they lock it down.
49. gallitoking posted on 10 May 2012, 16:56 0 3
so you will buy the crap tablets that Androids makes..hmmmm
50. Sniggly posted on 10 May 2012, 16:58 3 0
It's your (uneducated) opinion that they're crap.
51. taco50 (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 16:59 0 4
No they are crap. That's why no one buys them. Without heavy subsidies android is dead
53. wassup posted on 10 May 2012, 17:03 6 0
that's why it's rising in market share isn't it?
PS, let's see iPhones sell at $600-800 a piece, without subsidies, apple is dead.
58. EclipseGSX posted on 10 May 2012, 17:16 1 1
"Without heavy subsidies android is dead" pffffff HAHAHAHA
60. taco50 (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 17:24 0 3
Check put android tablet sales for a reference on how android does without subsidies
61. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 17:28 2 0
i didnt know android only sold tablets. And until this last quarter, Android was set to over take iOS as the main tablet OS. When ICS replaces honeycomb as the defacto tablet OS on a wide scale, it will start to slide back into android's favor.
62. taco50 (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 17:31 0 3
That's what you said about honeycomb.
84. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 19:08 1 0
It sells cause its an Apple product. Anything apple makes will sell. Cause its a fashion can't u see and understand. Its a prestige thing. Looooook im cool im typical. ...
90. remixfa posted on 10 May 2012, 21:03 2 0
yea and honeycomb took a lot of market share. compared to ics its sub par. i b!tch bout HC flaws all the time, because unlike you im honest. ics is flawless.. its a different ball game
119. gallitoking posted on 11 May 2012, 13:48 0 1
lololol.. please ICS has been out 6 months ago and is only in about 3 tablets.. please...
63. gwuhua1984 posted on 10 May 2012, 17:33 2 0
Go ahead and look up tablet market share, and you'll find Android eating into Apple tablet market share. Android devices sells way more outside the US, in Asian country, Apple brand is revered yet Android topped sale in China. Your arguments just aren't back with valid backups.
65. taco50 (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 17:40 1 3
95% of web traffic comes from iPads. 68% of tablet sales in q1 were iPads.
69. EclipseGSX posted on 10 May 2012, 17:49 1 1
While the iPad is ahead now its future looks bleak
"This trend forecast is something that the IDC believes will continue that it's predicting that Google's mobile OS will become number one by the year 2015"
70. gwuhua1984 posted on 10 May 2012, 17:52 2 1
There goes another example of your bad reading comprehension. I'm talking about Android eating up Apple's market share, and you're showing me web traffic and iPad sale percentage?
2010 - Apple market share 95%, all other at 5%
2011 - Apple market share 66% - 75%, Android for 27% - 35%
As of now in 2012, Apple still hold 66% after the release of the new iPad. While Android still have the Transformer Infinity and the Nexus tablet arriving later this year.
73. Sniggly posted on 10 May 2012, 18:01 1 1
Taco, many fine things don't sell very well. Just like with Android phones, tablets (which are selling better) the awareness of Android tablets has been building more organically.
If quality was based on sales, then Twilight would be the shiz and Moon would be one of the s**ttiest movies ever.
68. Non_Sequitur posted on 10 May 2012, 17:49 1 1
I'd rather have crap than a tablet that locks me down to Chrome or hot-glues me to Zune.
But Android tablets aren't crap. At all.
So it seems as if this is a win/win situation for me.
42. medicci37 posted on 10 May 2012, 16:37 7 1
I hate Apple. But you have 2 admit, when it comes to brainwashing the weakminded... Apple blows the competition out of the water.
85. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 19:12 4 0
AND TRUE TACO AND GALLI AND HIS CONVOYS COMRADES ARE DOOMED. APPLE HAS TURNED THEM INNOCENT DUMB PEOPLE INTO
54. jove39 posted on 10 May 2012, 17:06 1 1
Hardly care...IE9 is way better than IE 7/8...and comparable in performance ters with chrome/Firefox. I am planning to buy a Windows8 tablet...most probably x86 based...incase ARM based tablets offer significant discounts...then I wont mind living without chrome/Firefox.
71. Non_Sequitur posted on 10 May 2012, 17:53 1 1
Lol, no it isn't. Firefox eats IE for breakfast and Chrome blows both out of the water.
IE9 might be able to beat Safari, though.
74. LordOfTroll (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 18:11 0 1
lol you are lying through your teeth.
79. jove39 posted on 10 May 2012, 18:29 0 1
Well...not sure about your experience...I have installed all three on my pc and I hardly notice any diff the way all three browsers render any site...what are specs of ur pc? my pc has i7-720QM processor...on side note...i get pathetic performance from IE8 on work pc!
121. medicci37 posted on 11 May 2012, 15:59 0 0
@ Jove That comment is so wrong I don't know where to begin.
57. kainy posted on 10 May 2012, 17:12 1 1
Well there isn't Chrome or Firefox for iOS, so lets blame MS for doing what Apple did?
72. networkdood posted on 10 May 2012, 17:56 2 1
I am sure a hack can take care of this issue.
94. kanagadeepan posted on 10 May 2012, 23:16 1 1
Wow... Only IE is the choice of browser in W8 tablet??? Yet another good reason to NOT buy Windows8 tablets, imho...
102. LordOfTroll (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 02:55 0 0
yeah then don't buy, no one cares about you.
95. wp74ver (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 23:31 1 0
That's what happens when u a copy Cat like google and u don't like to pay for technology you didn't created like the ones they used on android so they were you know what we won't support wp7 Microsoft was ok now this is call pay back bitches lol if I were Microsoft I would block every single good thing even on windows 7 I used Bing I would care GOOD DONT CRY IS CALL PAY BACK LOL.
96. wp74ver (banned) posted on 10 May 2012, 23:38 1 0
Microsoft should block everything Google does I hate copy cats ,ppl can used Bing and ie10 is u don't like it go create your own operating system. Block crome even from windows 7 plus keep them paying what they pay for using your technology and patents on droid s**t .
98. Bluesky02 posted on 11 May 2012, 00:28 1 0
This is Applicable only to
Windows On Arm version only.
Not Windows 8 Tablet x86
Not Windows 8 PC/Notebook
99. vvelez5 posted on 11 May 2012, 00:28 0 1
Google doesnt make apps for Windows Phone and Microsoft blocks them. Got a battle going on.
100. Forsaken77 posted on 11 May 2012, 02:16 0 1
Microsoft doesn't realize that by severely limiting consumer options on the Windows devices, in turn severely limits a positive reaction to their product. And by Microsoft giving people a negative perspective on their tablets, that's gonna translate into a negative reaction to their phones also. Alot of people kinda view phones and tablets in the same ball park.
105. LordOfTroll (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 07:05 0 0
And you don't realise that you are only using Safari on the fruit product.
101. LordOfTroll (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 02:54 0 0
Boot the bad guys! Chrome & FF sucks! IE FTW, boot them away!!
106. BelleLittlefield posted on 11 May 2012, 07:10 0 0
They won't be the only ones complaining for long - it turns out that Microsoft won't be allowing competing media players on their tablets either.
111. lubba posted on 11 May 2012, 08:57 0 0
Good! Those two clowns don't support WP anyway. Why bitch?