Microsoft planning at least 3 new Windows Phone 8.1 phones, fourth one could be Nokia Lumia 830 and it just leaked out
0. phoneArena 03 Jul 2014, 03:06 posted on
Microsoft has acquired Nokia’s phone division with some huge plans for the future: for starters, it is preparing to release at least three new Windows Phone 8.1 devices this year, according to TheVerge…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Federated (Posts: 245; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
I'm only interest in the upcoming Nokia McLaren. Specs that I want to see: 5.5 inches IPS-LCD 1920 x 1080. Qualcomm Snapdragon 805, 41MP 1/1.2" PureView sensor (Carl Zeiss lens) with ND filter. Quad HAAC mics, 32GB built in memory with microSD card slot that can support up to 128 GB, 3 GB RAM. Qi wireless charging. T-Mobile and AT&T 3G(HSPA+) and 4G LTE compatible, Available to buy unlock for full retail price on Amazon or Microsoft Store.
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 947; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Nice specs but l'd prefer a 4.7 or 5 inch screen. But if its a 5.5 to 6 inch i would prefer a 1440 x 2560 res screen since it'll become a trend for flagship high end phones. 1440 x 2560 res with improved clearblack tech.
9. Federated (Posts: 245; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
1920 x 1080 resolution is more than enough for 5-6 inch- screens. It'll also have longer battery life than QHD screens. Have you held a Lumia 1520? The screen is crisp and vibrant. 1080p is enough in my opinion.
15. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 947; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Yes but there is no more "enough" in smartphone world. I mean now there is 3GB ram devices and octa core processors (and hexa core is on the way i think)etc etc etc. And also HTC is rumoured to bring 5GB ram tablet. The thing is that I'm also fine with 1080p screen. But again now low end phones like moto g comes with 720p displays . So sooner or later QHD will be the standard for flagship phones. My personal preference is that 720p for phones size less than 4.5 and 1080p for phones less than 5.5 to 4.5 and finally QHD for above 5.5 inch.
39. Penny (Posts: 1243; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Completely agree, they need to have a flagship at the 4.7-5.1" range. They can have a bigger one as well, but not all consumers want one or the other. I'd argue that the smaller one would actually sell better anyway.
As far as resolution, I'm perfectly happy with 1080p and actually wouldn't want a higher resolution, UNLESS they are able to demonstrate excellent battery life and graphics performance anyway.
18. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Agree and love the specs
But epically let down by the closed platform and no major apps and games
22. rsiders (Posts: 286; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
I understand that there are missing apps but the "no major apps and games" statement is getting older by the day. Not only are more major apps being added to the store, a lot more support is coming as well. And I would wager that a lot of the apps in the iOS and Android app stores are just there for the sake of having an app in the store.
36. gaara6775 (Posts: 469; Member since: 20 May 2014)
No customizations, No root,no custom Roms,no custom kernels.
31. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2056; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Some body call pest control please. We've got a pest back on this site from the mud.
24. akki20892 (Posts: 3617; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I'm waiting for McLaren too....after rumor.
Maybe they will announce in September or October....
25. akki20892 (Posts: 3617; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Maybe I can wait for Goldfinger.... aka 1820.
Because this one will be superior too.
2. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 947; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Looks interesting especially the1020 successor Mclaren. Its great to know MICROSOFT trying ti bring something unique .
3. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 947; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
But will it turn other OEMs away? I mean when MS bringing something new to nokia (to their own phone) and making it exclusive obviously makes other OEM to think that MS being partial. I don't think it will force OEM like Samsung and HTC to also bring something new because they primarily concentrating on android than WP. Its like google just brought samsung and name it "Samsung by Google" and bringing unique features like project ara and other x lab project exclusive to their own phone. Oh bytheway Its just a thought:)
10. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
"But will it turn other OEMs away?"
I dont think MS need to worry about other OEMs at least for WP. No other OEM(Samsung, LG, HTC) released a single device in the last one year. Samsung released one on Verizon but its better if we dont mention about it.
Now that MS made WP free I dont think they should worry about OEMs. But they should worry about not having good competitive WP devices for consumers to chose from.
So they should go all in with Lumias and release flagship (940 or 1030) and mid range devices like 830, 730 and low end 530.
14. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 947; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Yes . You are right. Besides why would one go to other OEMs when nokia(or ms) offer great hardware and the same OS with more features.
32. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1119; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
folks Microsoft has at least 3 new Oem partners making windows smart phones. Lenovo who owns Motorola is bringing one out.
SONY may even bring one out in the future. It seems Windows smart phones are in the market to stay no matter what microsoft is doing however I predict the low priced Windows smart phones will out sell the high end ones. time are tough money wise for a lot of folks Microsoft also needs to sell a Tablet for under 500 dollars to stay in the tablet world. Surface 3's are nice but start at 800 dollars
too much money for a lot of folks
35. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
MSWP is not and will not stay here for long, just look at WindowsMobile, WP7.....cause we all know why, due to no apps and games, also intergration. And finally no one likes WP, accept loyal Nokia and MS users.
37. elitewolverine (Posts: 1927; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Telling us to look at windows mobile is like telling us to look at android 1.0 and saying android wont be around. Guess what we are at android 4.4 and windows 8.1 Funny both OS's are still around.
No apps and games, meh, i dont know who taught you how to count but 350k does not equal no/0. Might want to go back to school?
7. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1270; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
And watch it become some silly AT&T exclusive. It never fails.
4. adwienc (Posts: 134; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Wow that camera hump (i guess?) looks ugly.
I'm waiting for 1030
13. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 352; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
McLaren is the successor of Lumia 1020
6. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1270; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
It's as if Windows Phone is running in place going nowhere. So depressing compared to Android and Apple.
8. 12Danny123 (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
I'm a WP developer. And I don't think WP is depressing. I can make Universal apps run on multiple devices. Until Google and Apple do this and pushing continually crape with coding multiple times. I'm staying put with MS's way of doing things.
11. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Actually if you follow WP sites you will see more and more official apps hitting WP every day. Also, in most cases they are coming to Windows 8.1 also as universal apps.
40. Penny (Posts: 1243; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
You're an Android or iOS user looking over at greener pastures -- explains your depression.
No worries, you can get help for that.
17. elitewolverine (Posts: 1927; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
And yet no mention on PA about the deal MS just tied with Canon?!
20. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
They don't care, nor do others....
21. muhsen (Posts: 265; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
All other sites mentioned this deal, so many do care
23. elitewolverine (Posts: 1927; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Guess PA is the only tech site you visit. Google it and see how many reported it.
19. nbringer (Posts: 178; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Yeah! 1020 will be even cheaper! Upgrade tiiiime!
29. nbringer (Posts: 178; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
1520 too big
1030 too expensive - maybe next year
26. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
IT. HAS. THE. NOKIA BRAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28. checkmymike (Posts: 81; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
How could microsoft expect support of other manufacturers when it competes with them and it always gets the upperhand?
34. elitewolverine (Posts: 1927; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Cause nokia is not offered every single place, other manufactures are preferred in some eyes. And free windows OS license, good will with a company that owns the business sector.
And what you are saying, is that other companies have been shelling out bad hardware for awhile.....
33. Ty_inCA (Posts: 10; Member since: 13 Oct 2013)
Kinda off topic, but aside from the obvious reason (cost vs benefits) why doesn't Samsung release a WP version of the galaxy k? If WP has anything going for it it's being the "camera OS". Samsung's lame rehashed S4 didn't even have the shutter key. Gk might be competitive in this market, I'd be excited to check it out. That or the S5 active, it at least has the button that could be configured as a shutter, and it would be the only rugged WP handset I know of.
38. -box- (Posts: 3858; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I want the McLaren and Superman phones to have a front-facing flash in addition to the improved cameras. Selfies (for those who use them, I rarely do) would be vastly improved and give WP yet another edge over the competition.
41. Penny (Posts: 1243; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
That's an interesting idea. I rarely use the front camera, but not a bad idea for most people nowadays.
42. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
830 is the leaked phone having a pureview brand at the back.
730 the 5mp selfie phone.