Microsoft patent royalties from Samsung and HTC totaled $800 million in Q2, tops Windows Phone sales
0. phoneArena 06 Aug 2012, 12:46 posted on
Microsoft is making more money from smartphone patents it licenses than from selling Windows Phone handsets; according to analysts, the Redmond based software giant received nearly $800 million from royalties paid by Samsung and HTC alone in the second quarter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
they can just sit and watch the cash pile up
13. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
They would be even further along in the $ department if they had bailed on WP. Think of how much has been spent on WP. Have they even passed the 5.0 million user threshold?
16. tedkord (Posts: 11633; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Or, if they'd recognized the shortcomings of WinMo a few years earlier, and gotten the jump, they could have been in Android's position now.
6. snowgator (Posts: 3583; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Ummmm.... MS should sell Android phones?
7. ph00ny (Posts: 1234; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Aren't they indirectly selling android phones?
8. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
whats the point when others doing that for them for free :P
3. MartyK (Posts: 816; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
I can't wait until Motorola vs Microsoft get's under way..
Microsoft is going to be sorry ( hint: H264) :)
5. snowgator (Posts: 3583; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
There is a reason the other Android manufacturers are paying royalties. Motorola is a great manufacturer and I wish the two could have worked something out (like a Droid 4 running WP 8. Hey, a Gator can dream, right?), but MS will win this.
9. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well thing is Ms + nokia are the lasgest pantent holder at the monet and they both on one side other manufecturers will have to think twice before doing war on these 2 unlike Apple who dont have huge ammount of patents.
10. JC557 (Posts: 1516; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
MS can be scummy at times but they've been involved in software for a long time and it's good to see them licensing things out instead of hoarding then suing.
14. TortillaSlap (Posts: 43; Member since: 05 Aug 2012)
id much rather see fair licencing deals instead of mass lawsuits and insults "you owe us every cent you have ever made.. and in exchange we will pay you 0.05 cents per handset in patent licencing!"
11. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
We must thanks the Android OS for helping the development of Windows Phones. Both are great OS in their unique way.
12. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
ANYTHING 'tops Windows phone sales', even a kid on the corner selling warm lemonade on a hot summer's day! Sad, but true.
15. skymitch89 (Posts: 1299; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I don't see why Samsung and HTC should be paying for patents that Google should be paying for.
18. Skoll (Posts: 15; Member since: 15 Dec 2011)
google dosen't sell android phones. sammy htc moto do. you can use any softwere teh world has to offer privatly but he second you try to sell it ... you know what happens
19. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
the problem here, neither samsung or htc pay for the license patent, but the patent price included in phone price
22. lyndon420 (Posts: 4372; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Except when carriers offer these phones for $0 on a new contract.
17. theBankRobber (Posts: 681; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
And people whine so damn much about Motorola wanting what it wants from BOTH Microsoft and Apple but its OK for Microsoft to get what they want? Nah F$#@ that, Motorola, take them both to the bank and cash in.
20. Pdubb (Posts: 248; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
You want that money in the bank don't you Mr. Robber!! Makes it easy for you to do your job. **sneaky sneaky**
21. theBankRobber (Posts: 681; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Lol hey before you finished typing I picked your pocket :)
23. lyndon420 (Posts: 4372; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
What's stopping microsoft from forcing nokia into making their own Android phones? People have been wanting a nokia/Android phone for awhile, and then ms could charge nokia Android royalties as well as wp's. Pretty sure nokia can still change their mind about being exclusive to wp.
So....apple isn't infringing on any of ms so called ip what-so-ever??
24. wendygarett (unregistered)
I think moto should give ms the royalty as well... Sound fair enough... Just sayin...
26. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
oh wow... that is a very big pile of money....
28. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i really dont like samsung.... i dont like android... i really dont know why they are dominating.... android just has the apps but you gotta admit its really laggy, freeze a lot... samsung on the other hand just have the best hardware but look at s3 looks cheap by its all plastic face... while compare to lumia 610, the 610 looks more expensive than than s3!!!
but i like android for being versatile but being open has its limits....
i hope android to go down by now... let other OS have some share too...
i ask people why they buy android by samsung and they all have common answer... looks like an iPhone..
android really looks like iOS and samsung phones looks like iPhone...
but i want blackberry because its OS is the real smartphone