Microsoft offers more detailed videos about the user experience that comes with the Windows 8.1 update
0. phoneArena 08 Apr 2014, 16:16 posted on
Windows 8.1 is here. We saw a lot of great features coming to Microsoft’s Operating System at Build 2014...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. jroc74 (Posts: 5607; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"Granted, some would argue that Microsoft took a few steps back with the Windows 8.1 update, and that is an accurate assessment."
Maybe I missed something.....but who is saying this and why?
2. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Me for one! I thought Windows 8 sucks and it does, but Windows 8.1 is worse. I got more problems then I ever had. I want to wipe my PC and go back to Windows 7 but I'm lazy. I have glitches, driver problems, random crashes, just to name a few things. I wonder why PC sales have been failing hard??? Maybe because Windows anything 8+ is no good.
5. jroc74 (Posts: 5607; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You know what...I thought this was the WP update...its the desktop version...lol
I am on Win 7 and plan on staying there for a long time.
12. papss (unregistered)
I did the same initially lol..
14. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Win 8 seems to be the new Vista. :-(
22. muhsen (Posts: 277; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
either ur PC is soo ancient that it's falling apart or u r just trolling and u don't have W8 let alone W8.1. I understand that the Modern UI is a love or hate matter but what u claim is completely false. actually, it is the complete opposite, W8.1 made the OS more stable (even though W8 was stable enough). and there are almost zero reports of the problems u mentioned (even on W8). it's also actually illogical for such problems to arise because w8 and w8.1 are completely based on W7 so if u do have these problems, then expect worse and more problems on W7.
25. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
You sir are a fanboy. My PC is a high end gaming machine. Modern UI has nothing to do with it I don't even use it. Thanks to Retro UI. Windows 8 and or 8.1 has a lot of problems that Windows 7 never did. I'm not the only one by far that is having problems with it. Google it don't Bing it... I would post a few of many of the links on the subject but PA gets pissed when you do. I can go on and on about how drivers now work in W8+ and how it's been a nightmare trying to get them to work and work properly. It's been even worse on 8.1 because I can no longer do the steps that worked on W8. Windows 8+ is junk and everyone thinks it. What you and a few others don't. I don't care the sales speak for themselves. The PC market as a whole starteding suffering once W8 came out.
26. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 878; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Further proof that every other version of Windows sucks. I loved XP and 7 but loathe VIsta and 8.
Great explanation on many of the problems a lot of us seem to have Pings.
34. jroc74 (Posts: 5607; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I should have mentioned I never used or intended to use Windows 8. Only because I have learned with MS if it works good, jumping to the latest n greatest isnt always the best thing. Like some things in life.
I am one of the few that actually had very lil problems on Vista. Only reason I went to 7 was because it ran out the box like my Vista setup did after some tweaks and SP, updates. And so many ppl around me had 7..it was easier to help them with PC problems by installing it. I still have and use XP too. Just not alot...mostly for a few quirky things and help anytime my 7 install is acting funny.
There was a show stopping bug on my Vista setup where the MBR got wiped on my machine a few times...but I dont know if it was Vista or me running a multi OS setup across partitions and hard drives. I had 2 versions of Windows, a few versions of Linux. It was a cluttered mess...but I wanted to try something. I was also using Acronis Disk Director...maybe that was an issue.
Now I just dual boot and use separate hard drives. If I ever go more than 2 OS's again...all will have their own hard drive. Dual booting has saved me already from a corrupt partition table.
3. LAFN (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Jul 2009)
Not sure where the proper place to comment is but I dislike the new Phone Arena setting. When you scroll down in an article to see the comments it jumps to show you all the other articles below it. Can we shut that off? If I want to see other articles I know how to go back to the home page. Thanks!
7. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Absolutely, it's a pain in the ass on mobile devices. You'd think a site called "Phonearena" would be phone friendly, but it isn't at all.
4. Augustine (Posts: 984; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Do Windows users tensely wait for the next release out of excitement about new features, out of desperation about much needed fixes or out of horror about new bugs?
23. elitewolverine (Posts: 3639; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Do droid users wait for much anticipated root releases to fix the core crap of droid?
27. true1984 (Posts: 695; Member since: 23 May 2012)
and thats why i wont upgrade to windows 8 or 8.1
8. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2028; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I love Windows 8.1 , I use it more than my Mac
29. Augustine (Posts: 984; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
A week after getting a new laptop, my first Mac, I had to get some file sin the old Windows laptop. I almost heaved my lunch! There's no way back to that monstrosity.
9. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Downloading to my DV8P right now. Will update my laptop later tonight.
10. Liveitup (Posts: 1797; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Loving 8.1, the start menu is back but the haters will of course move the goal post by finding something else to whine about.
11. papss (unregistered)
I agree fully❕ its amazing how much hate m$ gets no matter how much they try to improve. Their faces are so close to googles genitals that they can't see anything around them.
30. Augustine (Posts: 984; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
If only MS did more then try and actually did improve anything...
13. b0wzer (Posts: 81; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
There will always be people who resist change and stand in the way of progress.
15. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Progress or change for only the sake of change?
17. vincelongman (Posts: 2952; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Windows 8.1 (+ a start menu program if you want one) is better than Windows 7 in basically every way
28. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 878; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
@vincelongman. In what way? Name 5 since according to you there are so many examples to choose from.
33. vincelongman (Posts: 2952; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
My main two favorite things (many people will disagree with my second point, but that's 100% personal preference)
1. Faster, especially boot up times, my hybrid (SSD) boots up in ~5 sec, my gaming PC (HDD) in ~20 sec
2. Metro/Start Screen, I've never liked the Start Menu, I've always used the taskbar and a Mac OS X copy dock, but since Window I've been using the taskbar and Start Screen. I've used Steam Tile and OblyTile to turn half of my Start Screen to Game launcher.
Also several more minor improvements as well. IMO Window 8/8.1 wasn't really a major leap forward, but I don't think its a step back either
31. Augustine (Posts: 984; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Indeed. Windows users are stuck int he 20th century and refuse to let it go.
24. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
If the update came with a puppy people would be mad it wasn't a kitten and didn't support Google Kittie Litter.
32. RandomUsername (Posts: 808; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
This update has some severe bugs... I can't even log in.