Microsoft is America's “most inspiring company”
0. phoneArena 02 Oct 2013, 06:57 posted on
For the last few years, Performance Inspired, a consulting firm, has been publishing the results of their annual surveys that rank 25 companies that Americans deem most inspirational...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. suavemezie (Posts: 55; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
what do u know about tech? the apple you're praising today was solely kept alive by Microsoft when they were going bankruptcy with $150M and proprietary software. every other tech company rising has somehow gotten help from Microsoft to rise, Google inclusive.
29. sprockkets (Posts: 875; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
MS didn't give that money out of the kindness of their heart - they were forced to do so after all the years of them fing apple.
Want to be more inspired? Research the long, long list of companies that MS "worked" with and see how they sucked their ideas out, ditched the partnership then went alone. Spyglass (browser), apple(gui), IBM (WinNT), are just a few of the victims.
38. grapeseed87 (Posts: 120; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
MS never 'effed' Apple anymore than Apple 'effed' other companies with several patent suits not to mention XeroxParc.
IBM, Apple victims? Hardly they are big companies and all major players play off of stealing ideas from one another Google and Amazon included. In today's tech war the true innovators are the small companies that never get there names mentioned are sucked into bigger corporations. Thats just how it is right now.
Apple is the worst as they will still charge premium for stuff that is easily out matched harware wise today by many companies, and when Tim Cook realized that this would fail in the long run they released iPhone 5C.
43. sprockkets (Posts: 875; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
"MS never 'effed' Apple anymore than Apple 'effed' other companies with several patent suits not to mention XeroxParc."
You obviously need a history lesson. Read up on the court trial btw MS and apple. And no, not the one about them stealing the GUI.
"IBM, Apple victims? Hardly they are big companies and all major players play off of stealing ideas from one another Google and Amazon included. In today's tech war the true innovators are the small companies that never get there names mentioned are sucked into bigger corporations. Thats just how it is right now. "
Congratulations for your reading comprehension fail. I see you have no clue as to how OS/2 started. Nor any clue as to how IE was born either.
Your argument that people "steal" ideas isn't what I said - Microsoft OUTRIGHT STOLE SOURCE CODE ILLEGALY FROM SPYGLASS TO BUILD IE.
You can simply Google "Microsoft embrace, extend, extinguish" and find all the crap MS has done over the years to screw people over, both companies and end users.
Or you can click on the first result!
"Apple is the worst as they will still charge premium for stuff that is easily out matched harware wise today by many companies, and when Tim Cook realized that this would fail in the long run they released iPhone 5C."
And people still buy it because to them it is worth it.
46. grapeseed87 (Posts: 120; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
People buy Apple because of Brand blindness. It is worth to them for status that it brings, there is no real interim value to Apple products and their innovations have been blatant copies of others'. Just because a group of people do something doesn't make it any better than the rest. But good for them! Just cut with the 'holier than thou' attitude.
I have NEVER done a harder facepalm than when I read your 'history lesson' response. Have you ever heard of Xerox PARC and the stunt Apple pulled with the first interactive technology innovation?! The GUI stealing is nothing compared to that.
Seriously? Forget reading comprehension, you had a straight up reading fail. Its ok, it happens. Glad to know that you know the extent of my history knowledge when you know Nothing about Xerox Parc and what IBM was doing before they started working with Microsoft. Kudos! Good job!
"Your argument that people "steal" ideas isn't what I said - Microsoft OUTRIGHT STOLE SOURCE CODE ILLEGALY FROM SPYGLASS TO BUILD IE."
Glad you mentioned it because it just so happens that before IE7 all versions of IE acknowledge "Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc." So good that they 'stole' the source code there.
Have you any idea of the Netscape Navigator's origin? Never quote a publicly edited website as a source! Wikipedia is great for casual reading but it would never hold in academic research and expert circles. (As a former member of a computer science academy, we disregarded student paper's that ever used Wikipedia as a source).
Anyways. To me its all a choice between what is functionally well and cost effective. And sorry to burst your bubble but Apple is none of those now. Microsoft is at least still trying to innovate, having created the Windows Phone OS from scratch that gives a refreshing choice between the stalemated iOS v/s Android options.
47. sprockkets (Posts: 875; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
"I have NEVER done a harder facepalm than when I read your 'history lesson' response. Have you ever heard of Xerox PARC and the stunt Apple pulled with the first interactive technology innovation?! The GUI stealing is nothing compared to that. "
Uh, yeah, and they settled with buying Xerox stock. That's something Apple is guilty of.
Oh wait, we were talking about MS.
"Glad you mentioned it because it just so happens that before IE7 all versions of IE acknowledge "Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc." So good that they 'stole' the source code there. "
Yeah, and why then and not before? Look it up.
57. grapeseed87 (Posts: 120; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
What do you even mean Why then and Not before? I clearly wrote that for ALL versions of IE before IE7 had that acknowledgement.
Spyglass was working with Mosaic and then to enter the browser competition with Netscape MS LICENSED the Spyglass code and any litigation with them was related to revenue and royalty payments. Not CODE stealing.
Also you have it wrong on another historical point. Xerox was going to buy Apple stocks of 100,000 at $10 per share a year before the release of Apple IPO. Not the other way round. So Steve Jobs requested a visit to PARC and saw the technologies that later were sold in Mac and Lisa. Not only did Xerox invest in that, they never got credit for it and of course this is typical of Steve Jobs methodology starting back with the Woz and Atari.
11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
There is more to it than you know...
Go do some research.
Most of you guys base your opinion on Microsoft with regards to WP, Steve Ballmer and all the negative vibe... Well, do yourself a favor and break open the can and you'll find good things too.
2. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Steve was tight with the finances but Tim has opened up employee matching on charitable donations. Still, with as much money Apple has, they can't come close to MS in that category.
I'm sure Google got some high marks for all the search options they set up to find loved ones and friends after major disasters occurred. Being able to find out a loved one is still alive after a major earthquake or similar disaster is a blessing, especially when communications go out in those areas hit by disasters.
6. suavemezie (Posts: 55; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
The post says for few years, you're talking about tim cooks regime which barely 3yrs
21. Commentator (Posts: 2103; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
He became CEO late August of 2011, so by my count that's 2 years and a little over a month.
3. UdhaiyaPrasanth (Posts: 71; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Would be surprised if I see anymore "M$" comments here...
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 536; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
As a PC OS maker (windows) they really are pretty awesome.....
23. Dastrix (Posts: 507; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Well said mate. Granted, there's only like OS X and Ubuntu, but still... Nothing beats Windows!
30. sprockkets (Posts: 875; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
You must have never used Win9x and XP then huh?
7. Tazer2365 (Posts: 43; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Inspiring for what? Creating a terrible operating system and gaming system? Let's praise Apple instead. They are changing the way we use pcs; their computer OS is greater than any out right now. Face the facts, Windows 8 is dead, while OS X Mavericks will succeed.
12. papss (Posts: 2922; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Have to laugh at you here. Bad os and console? Right.. Praising the company that brought you apple tv and overpriced laptops? Just stop the trolling
14. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Creating a terrible OS?
God! You are one amazing person!
I believe you don't right 'click' much.
27. haseebzahid (Posts: 1768; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
his apple mouse dont support right click :D
24. Dastrix (Posts: 507; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Terrible OS and gaming system????? Who are you kidding???? You mean to tell me OS X is the better OS and gaming system??????? You must be 'tazed' bro. PC is the king of gaming. Macs suck at everything really. Only good thing is the way it looks (i.e. aesthetics), but then again, we can make Windows look just like OS X.
25. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Yeah the game system was so terrible that one XBOX 360 exclusive (Halo Reach)out sold all PS3 exclusive titles combined.
And the XBOX ONE is supposed to out ship the PS4 3-1 at launch.
Are you on Crack?
36. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
' XBOX 360 exclusive (Halo Reach)out sold all PS3 exclusive titles combined. ' where did you get that figure?
37. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
'And the XBOX ONE is supposed to out ship the PS4 3-1 at launch. ' amazon preorders figure says otherwise
39. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Here, Here, and Here Forbes being one of the leading companies in the world for such research.
My mistake it was Halo 3.
But here is all the info you requested. :)
48. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
umm... are we living in 2010? despite being on a TECH site you are showing me articles from 2010 is laughable
41. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Doing a little research there are many links that support that both of the respective consoles will outsell the other. So it's all up in the air from what I can tell though.
45. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Here are some links that supports PS4's side of the equation.
51. rodneyej1 (limited) (Posts: 2724; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Wow❕ YOU ARE THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A BRAIN WASHED APPLE CLONE.. THEIR IS NO ONE WHO CAN BEAT YOU AT THAT, AND YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF FOR BEING GOOD AT DOING AT LEAST ONE THING,, EVEN IF IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A FOOL....... SAD.
8. frydaexiii (Posts: 1146; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
lol, the last time I commented something like this, PA removed my post, but I'm gonna do it again because it's just true about M$...
I think the definition of "inspiring" in America means "To con people out of their money that will benefit the American economy" because 1) Steve Jobs was called "inspiring" 2) Apple as a company was called "inspiring" too
In terms of M$, here's how "inspiring" they are:
1) Windows 8 = $200 (At this price, you're surprised people pirate your stuff? Even Apple's OSX I believe cost less than $50)
2) Microsoft Office Student Basic = $100 +/- and 365 = $80 per year (Same point as above, at least iWork comes free with a Mac, on PCs you get a 1 month trial)
3) Xbox Live Gold = $60 a year? (For what? Other than playing online, Gold is needed to do all the other basic stuff PSN gets for free, IE, Youtube, Netflix, etc)
4)Xbox One = Basically tried to con everyone out of their money with their stupid rules until Sony forced them to do a 180...
5) All WP7 devices not upgradable to WP8 = Price of your new WP8 device.
At this point, M$ is making Apple products look value for money lol, do I even need to go on? Inspiring? M$ is the furthest company from it...
9. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 489; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Why are you angry @ PA? Go to forbes site. They make the article.
15. Chris.P (Posts: 174; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
So why do people keep on using Microsoft products? There's obviously more to it than you care to mention, as for the most part, nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head.
I don't particularly revere MSFT myself, but credit where credit's due :)
35. frydaexiii (Posts: 1146; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Because it between the devil or the deep blue sea, it's either M$ or Apple. Also, Windows comes packaged almost in every OEM PC available.
You're right, no one's holding a gun to anybody's head, but it more like you and M$ in a locked empty room and M$ is holding a cheeseburger saying "Buy this burger for $100, or you can sit there and starve to death."
49. Pdubb (Posts: 234; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
Ha! So you are saying the only way to eat is by MS? I guess the others should just pack it in and go home because Windows is the only game in town.
52. rodneyej1 (limited) (Posts: 2724; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
No need to argue with you.. Three words say it all... "You are dumb"
18. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
1 & 2: With those prices, I could build a PC with Windows 8 and MS Office at half the price of a Mac... with better specs.
3: Xbox Live Gold has been, and continues to be a superior online service to PSN. While PSN has been free, it has also been a s***fest from day one.
4: They were trying to make the new system more like a PC. Those features that they had to do a 180 on were no different than the requirements that you see on Steam or Origin. This didn't translate well to console gamers, so they switched it. Most other companies wouldn't have even changed it for the consumer.
5: WP8 would run like s*** on WP7 phones. Have you tried an iPhone 4 running iOS 7? They lag hardcore.
26. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
You said it all before I could Bilpocalypse. +10 sir well said.
34. frydaexiii (Posts: 1146; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
1 & 2) I'm talking about the software side of things, not hardware. My point here is, it's cheaper to build a hackintosh or a Linux PC than a Windows PC due to Window's high price.
3) I wasn't talking about what Xbox Live Gold can do better, I'm talking about the Xbox (which people have already paid $170) not being able to do basic things like browse the internet, watch youtube/netflix without Gold. This is M$ forcing you to pay to use features which can be done for free on my PC, mobile devices, or the Xbox's competitor, the PS3.
4) Doesn't change the fact that they even tried it, this just shows what they were having in mind when they were designing the policies for the One, Profits or keeping their fanbase happy.
5) How would you know WP8 runs like s*** on a WP7 device considering none of them got to upgrade to WP8 or could hack it to run WP8 to prove that it lags?
40. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
1 & 2: Linux is free, but is currently more limited in the drivers category (especially video drivers). Also, it is less user friendly for the average consumer.
3: Agree with you that you shouldn't have to pay for gold to watch netflix on the xbox. But you weren't specifically referring to that when you posted.
4: Apparently keeping their fan base happy was and is their #1 priority, or they wouldn't have changed those policies.
5: Because WP8 runs on a completely different kernel that is optimized for multicore processors. All WP7 phones run single core snapdragon cpus. It's not exactly rocket science.
44. haseebzahid (Posts: 1768; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
for start try playing PC games on linux, i challange you on that then, try to find equally powerful MS office replacement i bet there is none in the world that matches office. there is no better reson to stay on windows.
55. jroc74 (Posts: 3647; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
In response to XBL Gold vs PSN.....when the wireless hardware in the PS3 is inferior to the one in the 360, can this even be a fair comparison? The PS3 cant do Wireless N and you have to manually set your router to B or G, whichever is the oldest protocol for wireless, for better PSN results. The service will suffer because of the hardware, especially with more ppl going wireless these days. ISP's now hand out wifi routers as part of internet packages now..
Also...PS+ is extremely waaay more bang for the buck vs XBL Gold....even with the recently added Games for Gold MS started.
Like it was mentioned, ppl need Gold to use Netflix and whatnot while thats still and will continue to be free on PSN. I have to pay MS a service fee to use a separate subscription based service?
56. jroc74 (Posts: 3647; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I pay my ISP, I pay for Netflix subscription, I pay MS to use Netflix on the 360 ....vs. I pay my ISP, I pay for Netflix sub and thats it....for almost every other situation....and thats ok?
Then there are free wifi spots around my city....so there is a scenario where I only pay for Netflix....
28. haseebzahid (Posts: 1768; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
so your logic is let the developers work like retards and in the end not pay them a peny for their day night hard work you can kill yourself for that
how about you spend all your day at store selling your crap and not get paid for 2 years then we will talk
you dont get a Car for free so why a OS for free mental its not a water that was already there.
33. frydaexiii (Posts: 1146; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Ok, 1) Learn to punctuate. 2) Please re-read what you type to make sure it makes sense before posting.
42. haseebzahid (Posts: 1768; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
cant defend. starts englsih bash typical tards no other resoning possible with that kind of looser.
everything makes sense its the problem with reader who cant understand
50. Pdubb (Posts: 234; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
I usually just read and post rarely but I had to respond. I am not a MS lover but I do use what works at the best price for me. So let's tackle your list...
1) The software analogy is to flawed when it comes to Apple and MS. With MS I can choose whatever I want from whatever company from different price ranges. Going from Windows to Apple will cost about $1000 dollars but changing from Apple to Windows cost about $300. Less if you just want to keep using your Mac with Windows running alongside OSX. Wonder why Apple will not just sell their OS as a stand-alone for $29?
2)Office??? Buy the disc and install on 3 of your computers.
3)Xbox cost about the same now especially with the 4 needing the subscription to play online. I wonder why they would change that if it was working so well?
4)MS really tried to push the industry forward but because it is MS there was so much backlash. When Apple introduced the iPhone it was a gimped W8. They introduced this stripped down phone that basically had limited functionality. It became better as you purchased apps from them that they deemed acceptable. You needed internet to put these apps on your phone and at any moment they could take the app away at a whim. But they were visionary at trendsetting.
5) Please!! Android phones do not all upgrade to the newest OS and all iOS devices do not upgrade to the newest OS. They get parts of the update which is better than Android on most occasions.
13. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Creating a terrible OS?
God! You are one amazing person!
I believe you don't right 'click' much.
16. frydaexiii (Posts: 1146; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Windows 8 is terrible...I understand trying to merge tablets and PCs but M$ just outright did it wrong. It's like if tomorrow all car companies say "Sorry guys, we're not producing cars anymore because Motocycles are popular now. So if you want a car, ya gotta get it secondhand, if you want the latest, a Bike is the way to go."
Apple however did it right (yes, this is the only thing I'm ever giving Apple credit for), they merged the features, brought gestures over, make people realise how much better a Mac experience will be with iOS functions, then one day if they do decide to give OSX an iOS interface, I'm sure they'll receive alot less backlash.
31. brrunopt (Posts: 211; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
OMG , the only thing missing from W7 on W8 is the damn start menu, the rest is ALL THERE....
It's more like you go to buy a car and you get a car + a motocycle ,,.
32. frydaexiii (Posts: 1146; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Putting a Start button in W8 is like putting another 2 tires on the bike so it becomes 4 wheeled like a car. It's only fixing the beginning of everything that's wrong with Windows 8.
53. luxzy801 (Posts: 115; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
have you tried the start button on the keyboard on the non touchscreen models, works the same way as the start menu. So just imagine that insead of the 2 tires being on the screen, its on your keyboard. The other models are optimised for touch, so you cant compare. Bro, before you comment with your crap, go and try out the products, then talk!!!!
20. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Whenever I saw Ballmer I felt inspired to punch a fat bald buffoon in the throat. (Not that I actually would)
54. jroc74 (Posts: 3647; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I dont have a problem with MS having this label. Personally I would pick Google just because of where Google started. MS has a strong foothold in the gaming market. I remember when the orig Xbox launched, I thought MS was crazy. Years later, and IMO the 360 controllers are overall better than the PS3's. Sony paid attention and changed the next gen controllers with some cues from the 360 ones.
They are trying with Surface and WP. Even tho I dont care for WP, I would pick a Surface over just about any Android tablet and the iPad. And I would pick WP over the iPhone, need that choice of hardware...
Hate to say it or to sound like a fanboy, but I am glad it isnt Apple and I'm glad they are down as low as they are.