Microsoft granted patent for “whacking it off” …your phone that is
0. phoneArena 15 Sep 2012, 11:12 posted on
Before you get the wrong idea, this patent is for silencing your device by whacking it. It is a rather odd way of conveying the meaning though...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Just wait damages done by “whacking it off” will not be covered by the manufacturer warranty. Clap on, clap off...
8. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Unless and util that part is made up of a special material.
10. troll_buster (Posts: 3; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
Not possible. Nokia used as a hammer is. I dunno about the other brands.
29. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Next Apple innovation: when you whack the phone Siri answers with "Oh yeah!" or "More!" Haha
34. Sniggly (Posts: 7221; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Oh, the BDSM jokes that arise from that notion...
32. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1061; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
whacking it doessn't mean smashing it
37. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
whacking it probably doesnt mean damaging your phone's internals.. ever heard of nokia Lumia 900 as a HAMMER? the glass screen didnt break and surely the hardware still works properly. :)
38. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
i like the other one; "flip-to-silence"
... i dont like this new term "whack-it".
so i will rename it to "bitch'slap-to-silence" :D
2. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Honestly speaking, I'd prefer flip to silence.
6. jbitounis (Posts: 54; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Flip to silence is such a useful feature - these kind of things that never make it to the spec sheets of phones but you end up using every day.
12. tegradragon (Posts: 68; Member since: 23 May 2012)
But what if you're in a silence zone and you have got NO time to remove it from your pocket and THEN flip to silence? Its better to just whack it and save yourself from embarrassment :)
21. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol ur prefrence is ok but this idea is not to flip in the pocket although i was also amazed how come they come up with that idea lolz dont wack too much the baby moblie is gonna cry :\
36. cdnfreak (Posts: 26; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
I wonder if you quickly rotated your body if it would accomplish the flip action?
3. itiswhatitis (Posts: 423; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Hmm...thinking about it,could be useful
5. frydaexiii (Posts: 1262; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Not like there's any choice, if it's an idea, you better patent it fast cos if you don't and it takes off,
1) Apple's gonna steal it and you ain't gonna get a single cent.
2) Apple's gonna patent it and sue you and others for using it.
7. troll_buster (Posts: 3; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
..or Samsung gonna copy it and get away for good profiting
11. frydaexiii (Posts: 1262; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Everyone copies, nobody had a problem with that before.
Moto made the first flip-phone, everyone made a flip-phone, no sueing.
Nokia popularized candy-bar phones, everyone made candybar phones, no sueing.
Siemens made the first slider phone, everyone made slider phones, no sueing.
Apple popularized touchscreen phone, everyone made touchscreen phones, Apple sues everyone.
Apple is the one that started this crap with copying and sueing others for copying.
23. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
u are the one who should never get thumbdown for this comment
28. saiki4116 (Posts: 373; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
good one..if one sets the trend,the industry follows because the consumer expects that kind of choice....
40. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
BUT iphone was not the first touchscreen phone!!! :O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L
33. matrix_neo (Posts: 326; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
troll_buster, what can you say about the comment of frydaexiii? is it true?! obviously it's true... are you a troll buster as your name suggest? but in this case you were busted!!
19. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Intellectual property is more valuable than than the technology used, thats what differentiates Apple from the masses. That curved screen & the straight to the point User interface was someone's idea and is one of the main reasons people buy their phones. Not just because it has LTE now or a Dual-core processors.
24. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
no actully u might be correct till iPhone4 after that they made the iPhone more joke then real phone that is one reson why the market is shifting towards android and wp(slowly) it will take time for people to realize apple had started fooling people to believe they make the best while not actually doing anything at all. well thats not always the case you will see it soon.adding up more cores dual quad etc doesnt count as innovative its only trend.
22. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well then apple had better one :-
apple CEO :hmm what should we do next well looks like we cant do much with ip5
... Oh wait lets streched the ip4 and add a new row in the end on homescreen and name it ip5 people are gonna so love it even though it will be make them a joke and they wont notice it at all
and after some other guys copy it we gonna patent the 5th Row hows that money from customers and money from copy OEMs
iPhone Chief Designer :
Excellent Idea Sir we already ran out of ideas and RnD team any way.
9. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1414; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Am i going to get sued for whacking off now ?
13. speckledapple (Posts: 885; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I must admit this feature is a funny one and definetely worth a patent. Though if you think about all those times you forget to silence your phone or have to download an app to do it at certain places based on GPS, its much easier just to whack it.
20. JC557 (Posts: 1216; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Actually, when my phone rings in my pocket and it's louder than the environment I try to cover the speaker which means I inadvertently end up hitting it a couple of times.
Of course when my phone is on my desk and I don't want to be bothered I can see how flipping the phone over to silence it would be helpful.
14. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So if tehre are 20000 patents and each patent wants 1o cents how much would a smartphone be ? Stupid patents..
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3081; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
This is both funny and interesting in a world where patents are having a good laugh.
Now, consider this was not patented... Microsoft has started this and everyone copies it. Imagine all those people in a room, maybe a meeting or a class, whacking their phones. :D
16. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
there is an app for that, in nokia store for symbian, you can also make a fake call by whacking it right in your pocket, thats not dangerous, at least not for nokia devices
17. VJo003 (Posts: 340; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
PA should compile a list of silly patents... that otta b good....
18. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Apple will patent whacking rectangle with round corners next week
26. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
no no no they gonna make an iWack and call it innovation of the year u can wear it all the time and wack the phone without damiging the the fregile iphone costs 300$ :P
31. pegasso (Posts: 216; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
apple will say "touching is zero length whacking, we invented whacking"
25. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
human rights , animals right i am afriad next Smartphone Rights gonna get them in court for moblie voilence :P just kidding anyway good idea wacking
27. Owlet (Posts: 447; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Doesn't Galaxy S III already kinda do it? It does it with media, but the same concept.
30. downphoenix (Posts: 2561; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Mama told us not to whack it in public, Microsoft apparently wants us to.
41. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 867; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Yeah that's right! Cause that's how PAPA GATES LIKE IT!!!