Microsoft gets Motorola's Android phones banned in Germany
0. phoneArena 27 Jul 2012, 07:34 posted on
It looks like Motorola will be joining the rest of the Android gang and start paying license fees to Microsoft for using technology invented (patented) by Redmond...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mercorp (Posts: 967; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Trying to convert motorola to wp8?
Microsoft shows its "be evil' philosophy against google again.
7. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
that wont happen since Google owns moto
51. nightelf91 (Posts: 20; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Not entirely true. Google owns Motorola Mobility (patent division), not Motorola Solutions (hardware maker).
56. dmckay12 (Posts: 243; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Motorola Mobility is the handset/phone division (with its own set of patents) and Motorola solutions makes set top boxes and other things that are not phones.
21. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Don't think MS trying to convert anyone. Well at one point MS did try to court Moto to become a WP oem. Google beat MS to the punch.
38. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5599; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Well, Google could just implement a non-FAT filesystem solution in Android.... As the German court noted, there are other alternatives.
44. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
actually android has capabilities to use EXT file system and there are other, but fat is quite popular because of windows so manufacturers want to use popular files systems to avoid making workarounds and making users life simpler
49. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5599; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Well, for the short-term (at least in Germany), it would seem that disabling the FAT file system is an alternative to a sales ban.
2. pistolashtc (Posts: 29; Member since: 28 Dec 2010)
Why is everybody banning android devices from everywhere??
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7693; Member since: 14 May 2012)
This is Microsoft not Apple... Stop trolling and go outside.
58. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Hey papasmurf your the one trolling he didnt say anything about apple he said why is everything not why is apple. learn to read silly boy
14. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Google is trampling on people's ip. Companies won't stand for it.
16. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
READ Motorola, and is related to FAT file system, you know what FAT is you know where FAR is used? doubt you do no go away... REPORTED
29. troutsy (Posts: 248; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Thumbs up because I think you were going to make a good point if it was in English.
45. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
you know this "infringement" came before Google bought moto? how log has it actually passed since the acquisition was completed? how many of the infiging phones should have been products influenced directly by Google? I guess some people just want to see the world burn
36. Commentator (Posts: 2330; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
taco50 with more upvotes than downvotes?!? I'm screen-capping this one!
54. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Because they (Apple + Microsoft=pure evil) are scared of the innovations for free for people's progress
55. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3308; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Because Android infringes on a lot of patents.
57. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no, because Apple steals a lot of ridiculous patents:
and Apple is complete rotten company:
just deal with the facts, not just talk without any detailed argument like you do ;)
4. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
MS is making a killing from android devices.
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
dunno, its not helping them get more customers, I honestly though the FAT system was FRAND long ago, oh well that's how things roll these days
18. Aeires (unregistered)
Yeah, pay it and move on. Better yet, pull a Samsung and work out a licensing deal to make W8 phones to the fees balance out. Just because Google owns Motorola doesn't mean they have to be a one horse show, especially when they've said Motorola would retain it's own identity.
39. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5599; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
FAT-16 was introduced with the IBM PC back around 1984. If 1984 is the date the FAT patent was issued, it is approaching expiration. The expiration could be extended through continuations, but as a general rule, continuations cover the new subject matter only. Moto may be better served by appealing the sales ban.
46. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
they will probably go for that, waiting for the patent "blessed time " to run out, but they can also pay until they don't need to do so if forced otherwise
50. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5599; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Or, they can just disable the FAT file system function for phones sold in Germany.... :-)
53. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
disable may be an issue because fat is a format system, if the patent is about using the FAT file indexing and management tools the solution will be to enable an update that formats every memory into another format, I'll have to read more about the patent. but Fat 32 (most common fat format) is on every memory out there, getting rid of it could mean you wont be able to use a FAT SD card without deleting all its content
6. JunitoNH (Posts: 863; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Android doesn't steal, just borrows. Damn!! and I thought making all those Moto phones look ugly, so not to look like the iPhone was going to avoid any legal woes.
9. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
razr looks nice and so does ATRIX HD....
11. sammy_saw (Posts: 28; Member since: 07 Jan 2012)
Oh man it's like a open season to android
12. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Why not just use a different file system?!
13. OSFantasma (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I knew it but i feell it should be under FRAND if you think about it the majority of the world is forced to use Windows FAT including flash memory and sucks i hope they start using ext and this whole patent thing need to be solve by the open source companies by making an alliance and combat system by patenting the open technology that why company like Microsoft or apple can say they patent technology that is free and open.
(also should apply to public domain because apparently judges don't know it exist)
19. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I could see they find a workaround the EXT on sooner versions
15. Penny (Posts: 1128; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Ahh Microsoft, getting devices banned is very unattractive. Hope Motorola does what they need to do so consumers have the choice again.
20. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Ban 'em! Because of Motorola, two of my coworkers switched to the iPhone. They hated the droid phones and couldn't wait to upgrade. Plus Moto asking MS to pay 1$ billion+ per year to use a video codec on Xbox. That's just plain rip-off!
22. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
ws it an actual droid or did they both buy a Devour or something stupid like that?
23. snowgator (Posts: 3197; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Hoping this is the last I hear about this Moto/MS peeing contest. It is bad for both sides, and the only thing I disagree with from WP nation. It is a reflection of both companies failures that it has gotten to this point. Microsoft tried to strong arm an "our way or the highway" attitude with Moto they didn't with any other Android maker (MS took over a year and a half of negotiations with Sammy, almost as long with LG and never threatened court), and Moto acted like MS was Apple, and refused to even come to the table and talk.
Give a simple "per handset" compromise based on what other manufacturers have paid, shake hands, move on.
24. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Should Moto have to pay MS for using FAT? Yes, FAT should be FRAND at this point so licensing should be under FRAND conditions. The judge is an idiot. Just because you have an option does not mean you can't have multiple standards. I guess Beta and VHS weren't two competing standards at the same time, or HD DVD and Blu Ray.
25. nofear (Posts: 149; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Here you go MOTO and Samsung! another Apple buddy is jointing patent war the crowd.
42. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Did you honestly just say that Microsoft was an Apple buddy? That is honestly the dumbest thing I've read in quite some time. You are a moron. Go away.
28. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6230; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
THE HELL WITH M$ now their trying to monopolize the mobile industry like Apple except Windows phones isn't making any more. I don't think banning them isn't going to help them in sales
30. OSFantasma (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
we should all start using linux or MacOS and ask Microsoft for our license money back and see what they do.....then you will see Microsoft's true side
33. quickweevil (Posts: 50; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Don't you see the trend here? Maybe Android is just a stolen product afterall. You think it's coincidence that they keep losing all these patent disputes?
47. OSFantasma (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
not a Coincidence but i does have to do with how popular they are...
34. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
two of Google biggest gun are are now in court... LG and HTC should use this to get back on track on the mobile industry
41. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I think LG may be out of the smart phone race soon. Something like a 47% decrease from last year's total units shipped. ZTE (with a whopping 300% increase) is now ahead of them on the Top 5 leader board in the total units, and has even kicked them out of the Top 5 leader board when looking at just smart phones.
Even Nokia only had a total downturn of 5.4% total units shipped, although their smart phones did lag by 38.9%.
37. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
The best part about all this.....is that its only going to make android more popular, people want what they can't have.
43. GoBears (Posts: 335; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Motorola has hundreds of patents and I'm sure there are some that are being infringed on. I sure hope they start throwing their weight around. I'm so sick of all this nonsense. The only one that suffers is the consumer.
48. dmn666 (Posts: 194; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Well - Moto still has a lawsuit going against Xbox. Hopefully they will be pull that card on time.
59. microsoftexclusive.com (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Aug 2012)