Microsoft gets Motorola's Android phones banned in Germany
0. phoneArena posted on 27 Jul 2012, 07:34
It looks like Motorola will be joining the rest of the Android gang and start paying license fees to Microsoft for using technology invented (patented) by Redmond...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mercorp posted on 27 Jul 2012, 07:39 5 8
Trying to convert motorola to wp8?
Microsoft shows its "be evil' philosophy against google again.
51. nightelf91 posted on 27 Jul 2012, 17:09 1 1
Not entirely true. Google owns Motorola Mobility (patent division), not Motorola Solutions (hardware maker).
56. dmckay12 posted on 29 Jul 2012, 18:38 0 0
Motorola Mobility is the handset/phone division (with its own set of patents) and Motorola solutions makes set top boxes and other things that are not phones.
21. lubba posted on 27 Jul 2012, 09:34 0 0
Don't think MS trying to convert anyone. Well at one point MS did try to court Moto to become a WP oem. Google beat MS to the punch.
38. Droid_X_Doug posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:04 0 0
Well, Google could just implement a non-FAT filesystem solution in Android.... As the German court noted, there are other alternatives.
44. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:58 0 0
actually android has capabilities to use EXT file system and there are other, but fat is quite popular because of windows so manufacturers want to use popular files systems to avoid making workarounds and making users life simpler
49. Droid_X_Doug posted on 27 Jul 2012, 16:52 1 0
Well, for the short-term (at least in Germany), it would seem that disabling the FAT file system is an alternative to a sales ban.
2. pistolashtc posted on 27 Jul 2012, 07:40 10 2
Why is everybody banning android devices from everywhere??
5. PAPINYC (limited) 4 days ago posted on 27 Jul 2012, 07:43 6 11
Because they're Nazis (or, iNazis)¡
10. PapaSmurf posted on 27 Jul 2012, 08:12 11 3
This is Microsoft not Apple... Stop trolling and go outside.
32. Pings posted on 27 Jul 2012, 11:31 1 0
Apple has done it too....
58. iami67 posted on 30 Jul 2012, 12:26 0 0
Hey papasmurf your the one trolling he didnt say anything about apple he said why is everything not why is apple. learn to read silly boy
14. taco50 (banned) posted on 27 Jul 2012, 08:53 14 11
Google is trampling on people's ip. Companies won't stand for it.
16. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 09:26 5 3
READ Motorola, and is related to FAT file system, you know what FAT is you know where FAR is used? doubt you do no go away... REPORTED
29. troutsy posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:34 1 0
Thumbs up because I think you were going to make a good point if it was in English.
31. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 11:05 0 3
My bad :s
40. ardent1 posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:28 0 1
Google owns Moto.
45. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 16:02 0 0
you know this "infringement" came before Google bought moto? how log has it actually passed since the acquisition was completed? how many of the infiging phones should have been products influenced directly by Google? I guess some people just want to see the world burn
36. Commentator posted on 27 Jul 2012, 13:15 1 0
taco50 with more upvotes than downvotes?!? I'm screen-capping this one!
54. anywherehome posted on 28 Jul 2012, 01:53 0 0
Because they (Apple + Microsoft=pure evil) are scared of the innovations for free for people's progress
57. anywherehome posted on 29 Jul 2012, 23:10 0 0
no, because Apple steals a lot of ridiculous patents:
and Apple is complete rotten company:
just deal with the facts, not just talk without any detailed argument like you do ;)
8. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 07:48 2 0
dunno, its not helping them get more customers, I honestly though the FAT system was FRAND long ago, oh well that's how things roll these days
18. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 27 Jul 2012, 09:27 1 0
Yeah, pay it and move on. Better yet, pull a Samsung and work out a licensing deal to make W8 phones to the fees balance out. Just because Google owns Motorola doesn't mean they have to be a one horse show, especially when they've said Motorola would retain it's own identity.
39. Droid_X_Doug posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:11 1 0
FAT-16 was introduced with the IBM PC back around 1984. If 1984 is the date the FAT patent was issued, it is approaching expiration. The expiration could be extended through continuations, but as a general rule, continuations cover the new subject matter only. Moto may be better served by appealing the sales ban.
46. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 16:05 0 0
they will probably go for that, waiting for the patent "blessed time " to run out, but they can also pay until they don't need to do so if forced otherwise
50. Droid_X_Doug posted on 27 Jul 2012, 16:55 0 0
Or, they can just disable the FAT file system function for phones sold in Germany.... :-)
53. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 19:54 0 0
disable may be an issue because fat is a format system, if the patent is about using the FAT file indexing and management tools the solution will be to enable an update that formats every memory into another format, I'll have to read more about the patent. but Fat 32 (most common fat format) is on every memory out there, getting rid of it could mean you wont be able to use a FAT SD card without deleting all its content
6. JunitoNH posted on 27 Jul 2012, 07:44 2 3
Android doesn't steal, just borrows. Damn!! and I thought making all those Moto phones look ugly, so not to look like the iPhone was going to avoid any legal woes.
13. OSFantasma posted on 27 Jul 2012, 08:48 3 1
I knew it but i feell it should be under FRAND if you think about it the majority of the world is forced to use Windows FAT including flash memory and sucks i hope they start using ext and this whole patent thing need to be solve by the open source companies by making an alliance and combat system by patenting the open technology that why company like Microsoft or apple can say they patent technology that is free and open.
(also should apply to public domain because apparently judges don't know it exist)
19. protozeloz posted on 27 Jul 2012, 09:29 0 0
I could see they find a workaround the EXT on sooner versions
15. Penny posted on 27 Jul 2012, 08:53 2 0
Ahh Microsoft, getting devices banned is very unattractive. Hope Motorola does what they need to do so consumers have the choice again.
20. lubba posted on 27 Jul 2012, 09:30 0 2
Ban 'em! Because of Motorola, two of my coworkers switched to the iPhone. They hated the droid phones and couldn't wait to upgrade. Plus Moto asking MS to pay 1$ billion+ per year to use a video codec on Xbox. That's just plain rip-off!
22. Jimstar posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:06 0 0
ws it an actual droid or did they both buy a Devour or something stupid like that?
23. snowgator posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:12 0 0
Hoping this is the last I hear about this Moto/MS peeing contest. It is bad for both sides, and the only thing I disagree with from WP nation. It is a reflection of both companies failures that it has gotten to this point. Microsoft tried to strong arm an "our way or the highway" attitude with Moto they didn't with any other Android maker (MS took over a year and a half of negotiations with Sammy, almost as long with LG and never threatened court), and Moto acted like MS was Apple, and refused to even come to the table and talk.
Give a simple "per handset" compromise based on what other manufacturers have paid, shake hands, move on.
24. roscuthiii posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:13 0 0
Should Moto have to pay MS for using FAT? Yes, FAT should be FRAND at this point so licensing should be under FRAND conditions. The judge is an idiot. Just because you have an option does not mean you can't have multiple standards. I guess Beta and VHS weren't two competing standards at the same time, or HD DVD and Blu Ray.
25. nofear posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:18 0 2
Here you go MOTO and Samsung! another Apple buddy is jointing patent war the crowd.
42. Jay_F posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:50 0 0
Did you honestly just say that Microsoft was an Apple buddy? That is honestly the dumbest thing I've read in quite some time. You are a moron. Go away.
28. InspectorGadget80 posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:26 1 1
THE HELL WITH M$ now their trying to monopolize the mobile industry like Apple except Windows phones isn't making any more. I don't think banning them isn't going to help them in sales
30. OSFantasma posted on 27 Jul 2012, 10:34 1 2
we should all start using linux or MacOS and ask Microsoft for our license money back and see what they do.....then you will see Microsoft's true side
33. quickweevil posted on 27 Jul 2012, 11:33 2 2
Don't you see the trend here? Maybe Android is just a stolen product afterall. You think it's coincidence that they keep losing all these patent disputes?
47. OSFantasma posted on 27 Jul 2012, 16:11 0 0
not a Coincidence but i does have to do with how popular they are...
34. gallitoking posted on 27 Jul 2012, 12:06 1 1
two of Google biggest gun are are now in court... LG and HTC should use this to get back on track on the mobile industry
41. roscuthiii posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:32 0 0
I think LG may be out of the smart phone race soon. Something like a 47% decrease from last year's total units shipped. ZTE (with a whopping 300% increase) is now ahead of them on the Top 5 leader board in the total units, and has even kicked them out of the Top 5 leader board when looking at just smart phones.
Even Nokia only had a total downturn of 5.4% total units shipped, although their smart phones did lag by 38.9%.
37. parkwaydr posted on 27 Jul 2012, 14:53 1 0
The best part about all this.....is that its only going to make android more popular, people want what they can't have.
43. GoBears posted on 27 Jul 2012, 15:57 0 0
Motorola has hundreds of patents and I'm sure there are some that are being infringed on. I sure hope they start throwing their weight around. I'm so sick of all this nonsense. The only one that suffers is the consumer.
48. dmn666 posted on 27 Jul 2012, 16:48 0 0
Well - Moto still has a lawsuit going against Xbox. Hopefully they will be pull that card on time.