Microsoft flips 12-year girl from wanting an Apple iPad to buying a Microsoft Surface 2
0. phoneArena 23 Mar 2014, 15:40 posted on
Here is an interesting little story. A 12-year old girl recently put together a presentation showing the reasons why she should buy an Apple iPad. Her father tweeted the Microsoft Surface team and Samsung asking both to rebut his daughter's iPad presentation. Microsoft responded with a video that convinced the girl to switch from favoring an iPad to buying a Microsoft Surface 2...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GABIDEN (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
Honestly....I would just buy an iPad instead of a Surface
79. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Well he/she is atleast old enough to spell correctly unlike you.
94. SoulBlade (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"Well he/she is atleast old enough to spell correctly unlike you."
It is supposed to be "at least". Not "atleast".
Now go enjoy some egg on your face...
95. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
"It is supposed to be "at least". Not "atleast"."
You are not supposed to add full stop in between a sentence, genius.
Omelette, anyone ?
96. SoulBlade (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Thanks, I knew that. The egg is still on your face.
97. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Wow.....you really can't take a criticism, can you ? Stop being so butt hurt and act maturely.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
98. SoulBlade (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"
Yet you were the first one to throw the spelling stone at deewinc... Am I wrong?
99. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Did you even read his pretentious comment ? He just called someone immature because he/she wants to buy an iPad.
Its a person's decision to choose what suits his needs and preferences. Deewinc just ridiculed him because he didn't agree with his choice. Who's immature now ?!
100. SoulBlade (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
To me it was joke in line with the article.
As for maturity...
"Wow.....you really can't take a criticism, can you ? Stop being so butt hurt and act maturely."
Yep, that was the mature to handle a discussion on the interwebs.
"Who's immature now ?!"
That's already been established.
101. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
'Thanks, I knew that. The egg is still on your face.'
56. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
surface is way much better than an ipad
the surface has laptop power to even run CAD and multitask with breeze with 6gb ram and intel i5 soc vs budget standard soc that is so weak that has no power to push w8
68. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1426; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
not this surface .. this is the Surface RT , A iPad or a Android tablet will run rings around this
86. kenjoe (Posts: 7; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
Wrong... Surface RT and android have somewhat of similar features like multitask which you can run 2 apps at the same time. Let me know when ipad can do video chat and run Word at the same damn time ok. So now Surface RT or more like Surface 2, still have the edge in features if yo go to youtube and look up Sean Ong...he well show you what Surface 2 capable of doing.
59. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
They didn't even show her an iPad. And all I heard from her was "yeah...yeah...purple...yeah". With the entire store, camera and a spotlight on her, I think the Surface was forced upon her.
64. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I would probably go Surface 2 over iPad myself, however... This does seem to be more of a contrived marketing tactic than a serendipitous moment.
Just read the article, didn't get to watch the video (at work, so it's a little frowned upon). It seems odd the father would send in for Microsoft for a rebuttal of his daughter. Seems to me he's either affiliated with MS, an MS enthusiastic of phenomenal proportions, or this is all just B.S. fluff.
65. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3570; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Like WP was forced on you, or like how you were tricked into buying 3 WP devices in a row by WP fans online?... Which one?
75. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
I would explain again but it wouldn't get into your head, again.
Proof: i've said multiple times i had 2 devices, but to you, it registered as 3.
80. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Just because someone has used 3 WP it doesn't mean, he/she can't pass a negative comment about them.
If anything it goes to show that he isn't a blind hater.
62. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6961; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
YOu're really a idiot. u can't do half the stuff u can do ON A WINDOWS OS platform than on a Ipad. Plus it's convient than using a laptop she can get her school work DONE MORE on the SURFACE. You're a simply pathetic BLIND PERSON
72. frydaexiii (Posts: 1310; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Honestly, why are people still defending the Surface and Windows RT? I own a Surface RT and it is nothing more than a heavy web browsing, powerpoint/word slide reader.
There's no proper video player yet (at least until VLC creates an ARM version, anyday now VLC), games are laggy with poor framerates (yes, worst than android). Most apps lack the functionality of their Android & iOS counterparts (Bible app and Dropbox for instance), and there is a lack in alternate apps too (like Dropsync for desktop-like Dropbox integration for android). Also, the amount of Microsoft crap they force down your throat like OneDrive.
And usually, when the official thing sucks, the rooting/hacking community usually has some hacks or mods to make the experience better. Not with the Surface RT, the community has been dead since 8.1's launch when Microsoft decided to lock everyone out.
The only thing that can probably save it would be what the HP Touchpad became, release the kernel codes/sources, etc. and allow people to install Android on it.
Really I swear the only people who would defend this are Microsoft employees, Microsoft fanboys and some who don't own the tablet.
82. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 398; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
I loved what rt was meant to bring to the table, but for me it didnt live up to the hype. I found it limited as a tablet. And with the keyboard it was limited as a laptop. Kind of the worst of both worlds - bulky yet underpowered. I bought mine mainly for office use but in reality it was cumbersome. At a pinch you could do some basic work but not an enjoyable experience
87. Sriniva1995 (Posts: 33; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Better you throw your money to a begger or , use it to lite up a cigar
2. apple4never (Posts: 1026; Member since: 08 May 2013)
12 year olds now have so much, what she needs imo is to spend some time outside and not play around with tablets, tech is ruining our next generation of children. And BTW she should've waited for the Z2 tablet ;)
25. fzacek (Posts: 2402; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
The Z2 tablet is not better than Surface 2...
61. sip1995 (Posts: 1185; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Cuz it's an android tablet and is impossible to compare a full desktop OS like Windows with the android.
66. hurrycanger (Posts: 1459; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Surface 2 doesn't have a full desktop OS like Windows either. :)
74. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3669; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Geez people confused so much. I see how that girl was fooled thinking it would be full blown 8.1. Lol.
76. lyndon420 (Posts: 2469; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Impossible to compare? Or are you just being sarcastic and in favor of Android?
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Props to MS for stepping up to the plate - it is kind of hard to justify putting the effort into closing a single sale, but when you are behind, you have to go the extra mile. Hopefully MS is able to leverage the effort and close more sales.
Nothing like competition to force Apple to innovate instead of litigate.
7. TrollorNo (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
It's got nothing to do with the sale, and everything to do with publicity and marketing.
The sale means nothing to them as it's a single sale. Drop in the bucket. But the idea is that if they publicize how they convinced the 12 year old for that one sale, you get far more attention to your product and hopefully more sales from it.
How many of her friends is she going to talk to about how awesome Microsoft was helping her out, and making her internet famous, and how awesome her Surface tablet is compared to the iPad? How many of us are watching this video and thinking, "hey, that's pretty awesome of Microsoft"?
It builds good will with their audience, and that is well worth the effort it takes for something like this to happen.
32. stealthd (Posts: 1024; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
You can innovate AND litigate, it's not like you have to pick just one.
4. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Poor girl, I bet that she will be asking her father to sell the surface and buy an iPad
6. camera531 (Posts: 240; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Regardless of the fact that I hate Windows 8 and wouldn't buy a surface (especially over an iPad - but would get a new Samsung or Sony otherwise), I'm very impressed at how Microsoft handled this. Very smart move and cool marketing stunt.
10. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 881; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I await the video of when her Surface 2 display driver crashes while she's working on a school project and then her father has to take it back and get the iPad 4 or iPad Air she should've got. :)
69. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1426; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
this is a Surface RT , she will get bored to death with it in a few hours .
15. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1568; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Either way she is spoilt.
ADD: I take it back. She may have needed it.
103. McLTE (Posts: 736; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Spoilt isn't a word - it's spoiled.
And yes, she very well may need it. My daughter has a laptop to do her homework.. a windows tablet would be a suitable alternative. Don't judge what others may want/need.
16. TheGoat (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 Mar 2014)
Would be awkward if the girl asked the salesman if this tablet has the YouTube app lmao. What are they gonna say then. "um no it doesn't but wait it has knockoff apps that are like it!"
19. TheWolfpacker (Posts: 44; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Its a fully fledged surface dude, it has a FULLY FLEDGED browser for YouTube. No app is needed
23. TheGoat (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 Mar 2014)
it doesn't matter lmao. the apple app store destroys the microsoft joke store.
26. smguk (Posts: 14; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
Poor little idiot doesn't understand what a full browser is Lmao
33. papss (unregistered)
Is that so? You may want to research and comment again.
40. tedkord (Posts: 6417; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And the Surface Pro 2 destroys the iPad in every meaningful way.
81. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1426; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
fully fledged surface ..LMAO..this runs Surface RT :D
21. Totse2k15 (Posts: 324; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
-If she did paid for it herself, good for her. Enjoy her new tablet.
-If her dad paid for it, lucky daddy's little girl.
I'm no fanboy, but I'd like a Surface 2 over an iPad, myself.
39. Commentator (Posts: 2706; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
She's 12. It's 2014. Her dad paid for it.
24. janis (Posts: 49; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
i have surface pro 2 for couple reasons:
1. stylus + photoshop anywhere any time.(i mena full photoshop or illustrator)
2. usb, really helps + mini hdmi
3. runs full software i need, like Lightroom,
so i can run all dslr remote pro, and show all stuff while making photos.
i run couple times civilization 5, full version of course.
4. kickstand is really useful.
5. battery works 5-7 h depending on use.
6. sd cards.
any ipad user tell me why i should choose ipad over surface pro2, because its good old iphone just bigger screen, over surface intel i5 + 4gb ram :d
47. bucky (Posts: 1775; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I just actually just sold my surface pro 1 because the battery made it useless. I loved it otherwise. Waiting for second hand surface pro 2 or MacBook Air 2013 prices to come down.
67. vincelongman (Posts: 2326; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think the first gen were rushed, the tech wasn't ready, the Tegra 3 was too slow and Ivy Bridge wasn't efficient enough.
But now the Surfaces are very good. The Tegra 4 is so much faster than the 3 and Haswell is much more efficient compared to Ivy Bridge.
28. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Surface over iPad in a heartbeat.
77. lyndon420 (Posts: 2469; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I'd take a Surface over an iPad in a heart murmur...not impressed by either company really, but if I was forced to choose I would be reluctantly forcing myself to line ms's pockets. I would be very disappointed in myself, and most likely feel very dirty about the experience come the next morning...but in the grand scheme of things the idea is to keep my money from adorning apple's wallet.