Microsoft ditches the Metro branding of its new interface concept, effective immediately
0. phoneArena 03 Aug 2012, 03:24 posted on
Earlier in the week, Microsoft has sent out a memo to all employees to stop referring to the design language it uses for the Live Tiles and the interface of Windows Phone, for instance, which later spilled over to Windows 8, Office 2013, its web services and so on, as "Metro"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Uhmmmm.... Why??? Metro sounds cool but style sound cool too!!! I hope Nokia will make windows phone 8 with swipe!!! Hahaha lol
18. jroc74 (Posts: 5967; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Not really a WP fan...but I think they shoulda kept the name. It was stylish and catchy.
Its not like Vista that got a bad rap and they decided to go with the Win 7 name.
I am still running Vista 64bit, with up to date fixes and I had Win 7 since it launched, and have yet to install it. I do have a separate PC with Win 7, but that wasnt by choice, it came with the PC.
19. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
Windows Vista was a necessary evil. When it launched the support was bad and it was sill very new. It was to Windows XP and Windows 7 what Windows ME and 2000 were to Windows 98 and XP. Kind of like Snow Leopard on Mac. Of course the the transition to a full 64bit OS is going to have some kinks but is better in the long run.
2. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
How about; I wish I was as cool as android UI >?
3. smartphone (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Call it "MetroUI' or "Metro style" instead.
4. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Anyone for Urban or Suburb UI? How about Lubba UI?
5. jove39 (Posts: 1748; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Call it Boxy...tiles are rectangular boxes...just a thought.
7. Follower (Posts: 13; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
It was really nice name, hopeful. MS will find cooler name
8. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Perhaps MetroPCS is pulling an Apple and is suing Microsoft? Lol
9. dbparipsa (Posts: 20; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
My recommendation to Microsoft : Windows UI
11. akita256 (Posts: 80; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
My recommendation to Microsoft: drop the use of the tiles (whatever you call them) and start making something people will actually buy.
12. Aeires (unregistered)
So how do you make a grid of tiles not cool? How long will it take before MS realizes the tiles aren't catching on?
15. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
What do you expect MS to do, copy Android and iOS? Tiles is the best thing to ever come out that's non of them. You may not like it, somebody else will.
16. JunitoNH (Posts: 1565; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Call it textile UI, have to agree with MS. Personally, never understood the Metro crap. Sounded as we all were going to be part of some rainbow coalition or flag waving group.
17. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Windows Ease? First thing that popped into my head.
21. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
Someone said this on Reddit and I agree they should play out the Surface name. Surface UI or however it will work out.
22. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1506; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
some body said for Microsoft to drop the tiles . Why would they do that and go back to dumb do nothing small icons on their smart phone screen like everybody else has. The tiles can now be made smaller and lives tiles keep updating their information in real times while dead icons on a smart phone display screen do nothing. I will take the lives tiles any day to looking at dumb do nothing icons on my smart phones screen
23. AeroPrime (Posts: 175; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Why not called it Matrix UI....sounds cooler LOL