Microsoft confirms third Live Tile column for 1080p handsets only
0. phoneArena 15 Oct 2013, 08:12 posted on
Microsoft on Monday made the GDR3 update for Windows Phone 8 official; besides adding some new features like Drive Mode, which disables texts and calls while driving, and a screen orientation lock, the update now allows OEMs to build a Windows Phone with a screen as big as 6 inches that can support resolution of 1080 x 1920. It also allows manufacturers to stuff a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor inside a Windows Phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. Shatter (Posts: 2019; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Get gddr3 ultimate for $120 upgrade fee - Microsoft.
3. AfterShock (Posts: 2798; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Frag, err wtf?
Leaving more behind again?
4. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 148; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Makes sense. Three columns of tiles would be small on 720p screens.
6. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3008; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Nope, it doesn't.
It won't look small for anything above 4.5 inch.
7. exusaiha (Posts: 10; Member since: 18 Sep 2013)
definitely because there are so many windows phone's with screen above 4.5 inch ...
11. Snoobab (Posts: 174; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
It's the display resolution that's the limitation, not the display size. Hence, only available to FHD devices.
13. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3008; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I understand that...but what i'm saying is, it won't look small on a screen of 4.5+ inches with resolution of 720p. 3 tiles will actually fit and look good if i'm not wrong...
17. lorenzattractor (Posts: 64; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I don't think the problem is the resolution, but the size of the screen itself. It's known, that the Ativ S can get the three medium tiles row with a hack. If you look at the images of the 1520 along side with the 920 you can see that the medium size tiles are smaller on the 1520 than those on the 920. They'd be tiny if Microsoft were to implement the three row tiles on anything smaller than 5 inches.
8. ANANDALTER (Posts: 123; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
STU*%$ MS, I am sure you will lose without NOKIA
9. NAWF_SIDE (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Well duh, there isnt much screen estate...
10. Sire3008 (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Whatever... Microsoft is just too lazy with this WindowsPhone thingy. With this sluggishness towards update and all the limitations in WP8, I wonder how MS still wants to be considered as first choice OS.. I can't even download apps more than 50MB with my data service even when I have unlimited data bundles. Always telling me to connect to Wifi!! Must I be within Wifi range to download. With this backward attitude with WP, I think my lumia 920 would be the last windows phone I will ever use. Nice hardware with cr*p OS! We are in 2013 MS!!!
12. Penny (Posts: 1137; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
I would definitely have appreciated this feature. I'm sure Microsoft did some testing and probably found the smallest tiles to be kind of unusable on current devices, which is why they left it off. But those medium sized tiles would have been perfect.
15. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I think it looks way too busy anyways. Time for a real user interface overhaul.