Microsoft confirms Windows Phone 7.8 coming early 2013
0. phoneArena 28 Nov 2012, 16:49 posted on
Microsoft has been following through on its pledge to maintain mindshare about the company’s new products...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
7.8? How? I didn't think it was even RTM yet
Seriously, I want to see if I can try it
11. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
There's a rom available , dont you know ?
3. rsiders (Posts: 190; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Ah the HD2, one of my favorite phones. But here's the thing, Ben the PC guy showed us an early demo running on the Lumia 900 back in June. Basic emulators of 7.8 have some functionality although not working the way intended to. You mean to tell me they couldn't just give us this small gift before Christmas? My upgrade isn't until early 2014 and T-Mobile does not carry the Lumia 920 so I'm not upgrading early unless we get a worthy phone and I'm not spending $500 plus dollars for an off contract phone either. Microsoft could've gotten us the update a little quicker than 2013. At least as a consumer that's how I feel.
6. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I concur. I have an unlocked 900 I'm using on T-Mobile, and being stuck on EDGE is frustrating after being treated to LTE with AT&T. 60Mbps is addicting...
I don't want an 810, because it's an updated 900; I want a 920, especially at the prices T-Mobile wants for an 820. I don't want a 710, because I have higher standards than that.
4. Mozarrt (Posts: 285; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
I know Windows Phone 8 at this point is far more important than the 7.X updates, but Microsoft has been pretty pathetic giving information on the update.
A large group of people bought the Lumia 1st Generation phones (including myself), don't let us down Microsoft.
I still love my Lumia 800, it may not be the prettiest or fastest horse around, but it always gets its work done without any hiccups.
7. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Well imho the 800 IS one of the prettiest phones around B-)
8. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Why do i get the feeling they started work on 7.8 after they finished wp8???
13. someones4 (Posts: 607; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Same here.. i thought windows 8 is designed to make windows 7.whatever obsolete.
15. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Well now it seems they will co-exist... Wtf...
17. cdgoin (Posts: 335; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
As entry level phones in markets like africa, south america, india, china, etc..
Think the thought is cheap 7.8 phones where the OS is almost given away for free to compete against cheap Android phones using the older android OS.
Also think BASIC apps (like HTML5 based, and such) that will be able to run across both WP7.8 and 8.
19. someones4 (Posts: 607; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
why not just update all windows phone to windows */ Are there some sort of limitations? or is microsoft just incompetent?
10. MC1123 (Posts: 1210; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i think all lumia..since nokia help microsoft while making wp8 and wp7.8!
even that lumia 510, which is almost similar specs with 610 will get 7.8!
16. Leandrop (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
Nokia Spain has already updated its official web site announcing Windows Phone 7.8 for all Lumia devices comming "shortly"... nokia.com/es-es/windowsphoneevolucion
12. Zahidasad (Posts: 6; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
ahh.. they kept us waiting.. and still waiting :(
14. Mozarrt (Posts: 285; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
But we are getting it so thats the most important, how often do we see the promise of updates on an Android device not going through.
I've been waiting for months anyway, I can wait another 1-2 months if needed.
20. molanjames (Posts: 51; Member since: 11 Oct 2012)
Microsoft is way too late to the party and Windows 8 is the turd in the punch bowl.