Microsoft confirms Blue will be Windows 8.1, and be released for free through the Windows Store
0. phoneArena 14 May 2013, 22:25 posted on
It wasn't until last week that Microsoft finally confirmed that Windows Blue was real and was on its way. Now, Microsoft has decided to make official another piece of information that we already knew: Windows Blue will be called Windows 8.1. But, the most important piece of information is one that is completely new, and that is the update will be completely free and be released through the Windows Store...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. AnTuTu (Posts: 593; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
I wish they bring the 'Start' button back :) and let user enable or disable the Metro UI :)
4. Hammerfest (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Fantasticly enough theres an App for that! (and I mean App as in Application!) It even fits your comment perfectly!
StartIsBack! (just add the .com and remove the !)
Metro is gone and my Start button is back! All the under the hood speed inprovements (and believe you me, there are FANTASTIC speed improvements) and none of the s**tty forced Metro UI!
6. DKJnr (Posts: 18; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. I love the Metro UI but that's just me.
11. trexnkrumpets (Posts: 43; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Metro is nice for doing simple tasks imo. Music, facebook, emailing. Office/Researching/File Management/etc. fits desktop better imo. Unfortunately I am disappointed in how much better WP8s metro experience is in comparison. (surprised they do not use the same controls/layouts)
7. AnTuTu (Posts: 593; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
@Hammerfest:- Thanks for your comment. I know there are heaps of apps out there. But what I want is to have that Start button there by default and let give users flexibility.
If you work for a large enterprise you know what I mean.
2. volcano (Posts: 195; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
nice as expected from microsoft :)
my pc will be new again for free :)
5. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Finally, an APOLOGY update!
9. Muzhhur (Posts: 214; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
love, mi lap works fine with w8, thats just amazing news
10. downphoenix (Posts: 1987; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
when 2 things happen
1) Start menu comes back for desktop users and we can launch metro apps windowed and
2) FRAPS becomes compatible with recording Windows 8
i'll switch back to 8. If Blue can do this for me, Im on board. If not, Ill stick with 7 for now.