Microsoft changes resolution requirement, allowing for smaller Windows 8 devices
0. phoneArena 29 Mar 2013, 23:45 posted on
If you have been tempted by the nifty touch experience of Windows 8 tablets, but wished for some smaller...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Taters (Posts: 1757; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
What? They should put a higher cap rather a lower one. 7 inch screens should be at least 1366x 768 these days, not lower.
How about an RT tablet with full HD? Only full windows 8 devices have full HD.
2. Joshing4fun (Posts: 960; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Ugh, exactly. Everyone is going to have higher resolutions on their phones than their computers. Something is backwards here. But hey, that's Microsoft for ya.
11. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 260; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Actually I think the point of the article is that third party manufacturers wanted to be able to make devices with lower resolution displays. 1366x768 was the minimum resolution before, not the maximum.
3. naveenstuns (Posts: 117; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
huh??? Windows 8 is not only used on tablets right? business users don't need high resolutions do they?
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4721; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
MS is seeing all of the sales that are going to the iPad mini (1024x768 resolution) and wishing they should be getting some of them.
5. rashsys (Posts: 11; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Wow! 7-inch tablet with full Windows 8!
I'd like to run classic desktop applications on 7" screen! But only if a microscope is bundled...
10. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Reminds me of the UMPCs from a few years back
8. jsdechavez (Posts: 651; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Guys, that means cheaper devices, more people on Win8.
9. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1429; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
"The screen resolution is too low for this app to run" - fix this Microsoft
12. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 260; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I don't see a Win8 tablet @ a 7" form factor. It would work better as an RT tablet... at least until they come up with an x86/x64 processor that doesn't require a cooling fan.
13. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4721; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I think that any 7" Win8 tablets will be RT editions. Cooling fan requirement aside, 7" is on the small side. Snap is disabled for lower resolutions. It just seems like trying to cram a size 8 (maybe a size 11?) foot into a size 7 shoe.
14. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 260; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
That... and snap would be practically pointless at that screen size even if the resolution was high enough. I think that they should go with something closer to an 8" display like the iPad mini. It would be more ideal. However, the minimum resolution shouldn't have been lowered in any case.
15. johnnh (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
the clovertrail atom's are x86 withour cooling fan, razr i for example is x86. New generation atom's are in some tablets win 8 in dual core versions
17. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 260; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
True, but they are not optimized very well, poorer performance than a standard x86 chip and poorer power consumption than ARM chips.