Microsoft: Windows Phone Store hosts more than 300,000 apps
0. phoneArena 07 Aug 2014, 20:14 posted on
It looks like at least 10,000 new apps are being added to Windows Phone Store each month...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GreekGeek (Posts: 849; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
As the Brits would sarcastically say
2. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Right what? Want a carrot?
Anyways, that's not bad actually.
3. sgodsell (Posts: 1549; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Apple has 1.1 million and Google has 1.5 million apps now.
53. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
We know, we know thanks for reminding us.....
6. GreekGeek (Posts: 849; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
Owning a Windows phone is always a liability
11. Liveitup (Posts: 1693; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Yet everybody is copying WP UI principles.
15. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
In what way? I'd much rather fancy my chances of picking up a functional Lumia after a drop, than I would an Apple or a Sammy...
38. Doakie (Posts: 1380; Member since: 06 May 2009)
The pull down notification bar of course...
54. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Good to know I'm covered incase my 1020 runs into another phone.
4. Penny (Posts: 1303; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
I am sure we will see some healthy, mature conversation here. Some will try to keep moving the goal posts while others will be furious that the goal continues to not count whenever they score one.
It's a good mark, and represents a solid standing in terms of app ecosystem. I think that is fair to say and pretty much the bottom line.
5. rjmlive (Posts: 49; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
Actually Windows Phone users have generally never really complained, from the beginning, the availability of apps on the platform.. it's everyone else that's complained.
10. hurrycanger (Posts: 1365; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Oh really? I still complain because yes I've been using WP and it's still lacking.
20. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
youtube blocked in my countr so no big deal :P
27. lalalaman (Posts: 430; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Metrotube and my tube are actually better than andriod youtube app
65. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Not too mention the built in YouTube browser in IE11....
64. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
What do you mean no YouTube app?? Am I missing something??
I thought I've been having a great experience using YouTube on my 1520.. Did they pull all the YouTube apps from the store or something?
21. mousesports (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
only losers and haters " fanboys of android complains " :D
36. T.Law (Posts: 370; Member since: 10 May 2014)
The diehard fanboys won't complain openly but they sure know how lacking the store is. That's the main reason that led me to switch. Just check the monthly recommended apps by PA article. You see nice new apps on both Android and iOS but never on WP.
59. elitewolverine (Posts: 2398; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Check WPCentral, ever day there is new apps shown. PA doesnt know how to even use windows imo. Their wp articles are cringe worthy half the time.
42. Cicero (Posts: 554; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
I took a look on a wp and after I saw the lack of apps and harder user interface usability I said "neh" to him. They are moving on but long way to catch up with the rest. Why to get a hard time with wp when you have other far better choices NOW? Unless if you are a hard core fan.
43. Penny (Posts: 1303; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
I wholeheartedly disagree that WP's interface is harder than iOS or Android. It is much easier than both in my opinion, with the only exception being the Settings menu in WP (wall of text effect here).
50. -box- (Posts: 3915; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Agreed about the Settings menu. It could use a small overhaul, either alphabetical or searchable or something. It's even different between different Lumias, e.g. My mom's 920 on AT&T's list is ordered differently than my unlocked 1020 with 8.1 GDR1, but my T-Mobile 925 - also 8.1 GDR1 - is the same as the 1020's.
67. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yes!.. WP's setting menu SUX!!!... But, Joe said they are working on that in a future update... Hopefully 8.1GDR2
56. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
" harder user interface usability" My daughter has been using my Windows Phones since she was 4. I'm sorry you had trouble want me to have her (now 6) show you how to use one?
55. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
THIS! I have all the APPS I need or would use. I wanted Subway Surfer bad! It was the Only APP I really wanted. Got it and played it for about a month. Ehhh. I'm satisfied!
71. Philipand96 (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
I disagree and have complained.
What Windows needs are 2 software updates per year as at present it is approx. every 9 months
1) NONE of the fake call apps listed in Windows work as they don't run in the background
To make a fake call you have to do it in the time BEFORE screen lock so program a call and moment later the phone rings
2) None of the phone alarm / motion detector work, for the same reason as above if you place your phone on alarm if moved after screen lock the phone can be moved in addition you have to set the volume control to max, if your phone is muted/ vibrate and is moved PRIOR to screen lock the sound is at the phone level, the alarm volume do NOT override the phone volume
(In addition there is NO standalone anti-theft on sim lock and phone lock and find my phone (no sim card change alert or sim card lock the phone nothing
AnTuTu Benchmark on window has NOT been updated since 16/04/2012 over 2.25 years ago i.e. on W7 phone,
AnTuTu Benchmark Android was updated on 21/07/2014
Some of the apps are Dire on W8 and I really don't know how Microsoft can include them as they sometime have no star rating and have not be downloaded in years
A niggle I have is that some apps that do work are NOT password protected, and some that do work there is NO way to back up the information
Having had to do a factory reset and lose all the data
W8 is starting from a way back and does need to play catch up and needs to take element from BOTH Android and IOS and not just IOS
atfer the factory reset I noticed there was not an OFFICIAL Gmail but multiple supplies of the Gmail App?
Sim contacts have to be PROMOTED to FULL CONTACTS, WHY?
As the handset can read the simcard why not just leave it there, my sim contacts are really infrequent business contacts
75. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
???????????? What is going on over there?... You're over there making issues up...
7. arenanew (Posts: 228; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
in android if some place have 80 shop and market all they make stupid app for no use thay why ios and android have 1.5 milllion
8. BobWellington (Posts: 8; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Good to see. There are very few apps now on WP that I'm missing. It'll only get better with increased market share.
12. a_tumiwa (Posts: 323; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Windows Phone Store has so many fake apps , microsoft needs to make their filter more seriously
39. a_tumiwa (Posts: 323; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
android and ios dont need fake apps because they already have the real app ==;
51. HASHTAG (Posts: 193; Member since: 31 Jan 2014)
But they still have fake apps, doesn't matter if they "need" it or not.
74. a_tumiwa (Posts: 323; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
yeah i know, but at least i found the real one on Android and iOS, not like WP , they dont have the real app but still show the fake one with a same name (android and ios dont do that), and what make it worse is microsoft doesnt remove them
61. elitewolverine (Posts: 2398; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Sorry, at least we dont have fake apps that hijack your phone and tell you they are going to give the feds your child porn info unless you pay them money.
I have had to handle 5 calls of these the last week because they were downloading a music app from the play store.
73. a_tumiwa (Posts: 323; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
buy iphone? they are better than wp and dont do what you said
44. sip1995 (Posts: 1024; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
You really miss, your favorite Barbie dress up games......don't worry we're here to help you.
13. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3803; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Meanwhile, back in the real world, even Windows 8.1 has so few good tablet apps that a three month review in PC Mag of the Surface 3 summarizes to "meh":
"But the biggest issue extends to all Windows tablets: it has a relatively small selection of applications. Many of the best-known tablet apps are missing, and many of the apps that do exist aren't as good as their iPad or Android versions. Of course, there are plenty of legacy desktop applications and browser-based applications, but by and large these aren't really designed for tablet, touch-centric use. Aside from OneNote, the touch-centric versions of Microsoft's own Office productivity apps still aren't available."
I think only people blindly allegiant to Microsoft would buy a burning platform phone or tablet from Microsoft. The rest of us know better.
16. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
And you're talking about TABLET apps... why? This an article about WP, not Windows RT, which even MS have admitted is a dead fish. Which is why Windows tablets are going for standard W 8.1, meaning legacy programs, numbering literally in the billions!
By actively shifting focus off topic to find something to complain about, you're only exposing your bitterness and quarrelsomeness...
24. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3803; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
It's not off topic. It's about Microsoft and their current mobile platforms.
I was pointing out that even on a mature platform such as Windows (x86) there are basically no good TOUCH apps. There have been Windows tablets for a long time. So why no apps?
Microsoft has a big problem as other than a few big companies with strong vertical markets (Adobe, Autodesk, etc.) no one writes good apps for Windows anymore. This includes Windows Phone.
29. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
The title says "Windows Phone"; bringing up the dying RT is very much off topic! Particularly since WP is gaining momentum (50% increase in half a year!) while RT is being discontinued...!
No one writers good apps for Windows? That's probably because they write good PROGRAMS... As for WP, well the subject says it all. Anyway, lots of nice, new apps up nearly on a daily basis, and revamps of old standards, like the new Facebook.
33. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3803; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"Particularly since WP is gaining momentum (50% increase in half a year!)"
What? Are you one of Shill-It-Up's buddies? WP has been going down in market share recently. Surface itself has lost almost $2 billion so far. Declaring this sort of abysmal performance as some kind of "victory" is just BS.
And BTW, all the platforms I mentioned are made by Microsoft. And last I heard Microsoft is trying to merge all their various device platforms into one big "OneWindows" platform. So everything I'm talking about is relevant to the larger topic at hand.
37. Liveitup (Posts: 1693; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Go away troll, take your fellow haters with you you are beyond annoying now, every WP and MS related article it seems you're there hating.
77. meanestgenius (Posts: 2665; Member since: 28 May 2014)
I totally agree with Liveitup on this. I just don't understand why people here on PA cannot "live and let live". If a person doesn't like something, fine. No need to come on EVERY ARTICLE about said products and bash them at EVERY turn. The same BS happens on BlackBerry articles as well.
62. elitewolverine (Posts: 2398; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Yes they are merging but not there yet.
If you cannot use legacy apps with a pen, and you have so fat fingers that you cannot touch some buttons you have issues.
Also the reason why they have thousands of apps for android and ios is because they have no other choice. Just because you have candy crush as an app, while the surface has the web candy crush doesnt mean android has more apps.
What it means is the tablet of apple and android are forced into an app ecosystem.
All windows has to do is get programmers to include touch interface with their updated apps and not just desktop. But the fact i can run billions of apps, vs the 'millions' android has, means nothing. Face it, the windows 8 line of tablets will never suffer from 'we need apps'. What they will suffer from is "we need touch interface".
Also i have used a 10.1in and 11.6in touch ms word,excel daily, the reviewer who could not is a shill imo, and a keyboard, usb, bluetooth etc would fix their issue with ease. How many tablets do i see with keyboards? Lots, but they cant do what i can do rofl. Yes i have used my tablet for 3d modeling from an app that does not support ios and android, oh wait it is not an app, it is a program...
68. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Actually, he's right.. The WP Store has had a 50% increase in, well 7 months... 200k apps last December, now 300k apps by the end of July, is about 50% growth.. That's huge, and really does deserve credit, whether you like WP or not...
It's simple math, dude....
19. eharris560 (Posts: 78; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Windows has been a "burning platform" for the last 3 years. I think someone should inform the Fire Marshall. For GOD sake It's time to stop whipping that horse.
30. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Really? Try taking a tour of your local companies and see what's running their pc's... Try doing the same with your neighbours, in fact.
57. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Remember the "Post PC" Era? HAHA! That didn't happen.
25. sip1995 (Posts: 1024; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
You know that you can run Lagdroid app on Windows tablets, right ?
69. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lol!!!.. Blue Stacks.. I use it on W8...
60. -box- (Posts: 3915; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Why do you need apps when you have a full internet browser? Other than games that is.
14. theguy2345 (Posts: 422; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
You can get rid of 80% of most of the trash apps from every app store and still have most of the apps people actually use. Quality before quantity
26. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3803; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)