Microsoft: 88% of those who took “Meet your Match” challenge prefer Windows Phone
0. phoneArena 18 Dec 2012, 21:43 posted on
Last month, Microsoft launched its follow-up to “Smoked by Windows Phone” campaign with “Meet your Match”...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Dear Microsoft, L920, or WP8X?
10. Synack (Posts: 641; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
I see many problems with this video.
1. They're comparing a brand new Lumia 920 to an old ass Inspire.
2. The 920 is NOT the world's greatest cameraphone
3. The guy who is hosting this video probably knows how to shoot video way better than the soccer dad
Obviously this video will sell your average consumer that doesn't give a damn or is half retarded. But the point is..... OBVIOUSLY YOUR LATE 2012 FLAGSHIP PHONE IS GOING TO BE BETTER THAN AN EARLY 2011 MID-RANGE PHONE.
18. -box- (Posts: 3571; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
The 920 is the best widely available camera phone. The best is the 808 PureView. Then the 2010 N8. After that it is a toss-up between Sony and HTC. (iphones don't count because they use Sony's optics).
34. MC1123 (Posts: 1220; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
totally agree with you!!
in other words
808PV- god of camera phone
920/N8 (tie for me)-emperor and king of camera phone
sony xperia TX (anything more better?)
16. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
buy much better SGS3 and you will support freedom (open source) and not evil companies like Microsoft, who has bribed probably every government in the world:
bit [dot] ly/RYzOPP
20. gallison1983 (Posts: 40; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
AOSP is open source. Android is open source at its core. Samsung skins Android with TouchWiz. TouchWiz started with Windows Mobile. I'd hardly call a TouchWiz device open source.
23. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
90 % is open source so you can not say it is not open source....
25. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 310; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Right then, root your phone, flash a CM10 rom, and voila, you have a non Touchwiz device.
33. gallison1983 (Posts: 40; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Ah, so I have to create a security compromise in order to get another skin of the same operating system. I'd root if there was an option to go Ubuntu or Mozilla, not root Android to put more Android on a device. Sorry, AOSP or nothing for me.
19. gallison1983 (Posts: 40; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Nokia for sure. I've benched the 822 against the 8X and found the 822 to edge the 8X in most categories. Then again, that Snapdragon is pushing less pixels on the 822 so there may lie the reason why it wins. My two complaints on the 8X are as follows: non removable battery and lack of app optimization. Some apps may have black edges as they are designed to fit the older resolutions of WP7 and the mid range Nokias.
35. MC1123 (Posts: 1220; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
microsoft wants people to buzz on 8X thats why it always appear on MS ads!
while lumia 920, they dont give it the buzz coz the phone is the buzz! all tech sites buzz on it!
so yeah, the best WP is lumia 920
but microsoft's signature phone is 8x!
8. Pings (Posts: 289; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I would say I like it better too. Then turn around and sell it...
3. frydaexiii (Posts: 1157; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Oh it's hilarious seeing Microsoft trying to expand their userbase this way...When was the last time any Android OEM did this? The last I could remember was the Galaxy Note 1 in the US. And when was the last time Apple did this? Never? But if Microsoft is gonna give me a free phone, sure why not?
Never thought I'd say this, with Steve Ballmer in-charge of Microsoft & Ben the PC Guy advocating Windows Phone, Microsoft looks like a bigger douche compared to Apple. Sorry Microsoft, you just can't act like you're one of the top guns when you're just not there yet, maybe try the Xbox 720 instead?
6. MeoCao (unregistered)
MS learned from their mistakes and do not try to smoke the likes of Nexus 4, Note 2 or Optimus G...
if Ballmer tries to do it I'm afraid people at MS can't recognize him after the test as his face will be smoked by Android flagships LOL
4. MeoCao (unregistered)
LOL, poor MS
putting L920 camera against last year Android, very convincing indeed!
9. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3661; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Even if this was up against current Android phones, Lumia 920 would still win.
Though I'm not too fond of WP, Nokia has great cameras. No way around that.
11. MeoCao (unregistered)
Lumia 920 and GS3? not so sure b-c L920 has clear advantage only with night shots.
Overall GS3 is way better than L920 imo.
13. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3661; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Lumia 920 is only marginally better than the GS3 when it comes to still shots, but really out-classes it in video. Especially with that image stabilization tech.
26. MeoCao (unregistered)
920 camera is better, but the OS sucks.
GS3 has removable back, expandable memory, load of features ...
So the comparison is unfair especially if people were given L920 after the "challenge'
30. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3661; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The OS doesn't "suck", it's just not everyone's cup of tea I suppose.
Removable back is kind of a con in my mind. It creates a weak point and can fly off when you drop it, which is just an inconvenience. Expandable memory is nice, but most people don't need it when the most popular phones have 32+ GB options; this is a phone, not a hard drive.
It's completely fair, to be honest. All manufacturers do advertising, usually with giveaways. Motorola/Verizon did it with the Droid Razr, that's the only instance I can give off the top of my head, but I know there's more.
31. RobotMan (Posts: 124; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
what happen when the phone die with 32gig of importance data? What if you have safe it to sd card.
17. eisenbricher (Posts: 965; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Don't forget the PR1.1 update. Already awesome L920 camera has got even better now. Not to mention that the difference between day shots of GS III and L920 was marginal and only for some cases.
27. MeoCao (unregistered)
Yeah, I'm very impressed with 920 camera after the update, the details are much clearer now
22. haseebzahid (Posts: 1775; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
tell u what SGS3 and IP5 didnt stood againt 920 in camera test so why dont u stop crying that
5. The_Innovation (Posts: 531; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
These are ordinary everyday people. This works for them. The only people I see switching to this are iPhone users, simplicity, enhanced.
We are Android, we are not ordinary. We are advanced, technical, and complicated.
21. gallison1983 (Posts: 40; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Considering that Android is killing it in market share I'd say that we (myself included) are quite commonplace now.
24. The_Innovation (Posts: 531; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Unfortunately not in America. Here people buy an iPhone just because, it's an iPhone. People are smarter in other places of the world.
7. uchihakurtz (Posts: 172; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Dude, a free Lumia 920? Who wouldn't want that?
It's not MS that should get the credit more like Nokia for building a really nice phone.
32. joey_sfb (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I also think a free Lumia 920 is the best phone i could ever own.
36. uchihakurtz (Posts: 172; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Yeah, OS aside, it's really beautiful.
12. Lboogey6 (Posts: 246; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
lol so kids corner beat out what you can't do on the phone how about being able to still enjoy your phone features and do what wp8 can't do and just find an app and down load it. oh and don;t compare an old ass phone to a brand new one especially the inspire
14. Lboogey6 (Posts: 246; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
issue #2 he chose an iphone for the group text because with an android you have a widget that does the same exact thing .... again nice try
15. networkdood (Posts: 5618; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
So, I could take my Captivate with JB and pretend that I was smoked and I would get a free nokia windows phone? Hmmmmm, might be a good deal..
28. jameshoe (unregistered)
Android has about 10 billions apps on play store, the reason you buy & love it. But WP has only 20 thousands apps, because it isn't about the numbers, it's about the amazing features like NFC, apps-back button, live tiles and enough processing speed...
29. jroc74 (Posts: 4084; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Good for MS. Now.....what phones did ppl have in their pockets? lol. All I will say is if this was true....we should see WP start climbimg up the market share charts....
37. KngsRnsm (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
I want a free windows phone. I still use a flip phone lol