Metal-made Samsung Galaxy Beam 2 SM-G3858 gets official in China
0. phoneArena 24 Apr 2014, 06:19 posted on
The new Galaxy Beam 2 is far from being a high-end smartphone, and that's why Samsung will likely sell it for a low price...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ancellim (Posts: 35; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
480 x 800 on 4.66 inches screen - that'll will make it 200 ppi. Isn't that bad for a "mid-range" phone?
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Because the projector will beam exactly what's on the phone screen, it's resolution is limiting the screen's resolution to WVGA. A 720p projector at this moment doesn't make sense from a size, heat, power and cost standpoint, I however wouldn't mind a 7" tab with a higher res beam.
14. walnuttt (Posts: 153; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
I want this phone long time ago since the first generation Galaxy Beam was announced (Gingerbread) and now Galaxy Beam 2 was announced the second time around, I will surely look for a way to have this great phone. Good job Samsung!
7. magnanimus (Posts: 508; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Good luck getting a timely update. It even comes with Android 4.2 out of the box.
18. YuLeven (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 May 2013)
It won't matter if the phone perform as you expect it to. Getting aroused at features that you COULD have IF they updated the phone is quite pointless. Make an extension of this concept to life and I could be on a garden on the shores of the mediterranean eating grapes and being pampered by a dozen of nymphs, but I'm on friggin Phone Arena rattling about phones.
3. wando77 (Posts: 786; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was min 720p screen and snapdragon 800 with 2gb ram.
Also should have 4000mah battery with a projector and at nearly 12mm thick there is no excuse not to really.
9. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1363; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Its a crappy phone that samsung experiments with until in 5-6 years this technology becomes so portable that it will add it on a flagship phone. Few thousands of clueless sheeps will buy it and samsung will laugh over them.
11. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
People buying Galaxy Beams aren't idiots. It's an amazing phone. Please go see a Galaxy Beam, then speak.
Note: Why am I getting blocked when saying sh eeps? It says be polite or else youll get banned from the forum? What kind of thing is this?
15. walnuttt (Posts: 153; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
anti samsung/ hater detected.
-set fire to him now-
21. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Wait....experimenting with mid range and low end phones and perfecting the ideas for flagships in 5-6 years is a bad thing? Sometimes trial and error is the only way to perfect something. You can test something within the company in a closed environment for as long as you want but you won't notice some problems until you release it to the public. Just ask your lover Apple about Apple maps and IOS 7 in general.
I knew Apple fans were retarded but this is a new high. If a company is willing to test something, let alone for 5-6 years and include the perfected version in their flagship at a later date down the line...how is that a bad thing? Lol it's not like any other company would ever do that for the consumer....
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Is that a metallic back?It looks much better than their other plastic back covers
6. nlbates66 (Posts: 328; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
looks similar to the titanium grey cover on my Galaxy S III really.
13. RandomUsername (Posts: 808; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
I highly doubt that is metal. Samsung is famous for its metal imitations :/
20. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Yes, because metal is bad for a phone, it gets scratched easily and is heavier. If you want a metal phone go get an iphone since you know nothing or search for bankrupt companies (i wonder why) like the glorious htc.
22. walnuttt (Posts: 153; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Yes I agree on you, metal build quality is bad for a phone and Samsung knows that really well that's why they're not producing a metal phone because of its weakness. Yes metal phone is a good looking, feels great to hold but the downside is that the phone becames weak, and prone to damage when falls off (especially internal parts). Samsung knows best when it comes to build quality!
23. doubledown1990 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
lol what an excuse. samsung is a crap
24. RandomUsername (Posts: 808; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
I'm not saying plastic is bad, but this is just false advertising!
10. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
16. allabouthegalaxybeam (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
I´d like to clear out some things regarding the Samsung Galaxy BEAM. Who am I? I am the ONLY person that does proper tutorials and videos about the current Galaxy BEAM. My youtube channel is youtube.com/allabouthegalaxybeam I often read that people think the phone is useless and pointless. So I´d like to clear out some things regarding the current Beam (Gt-i8530)
1. You can project HD and FULL HD movies on a 0-100 inch size. Yes, not only 50 inch as Samsung states. That means that since I have my Beam I swapped my flatscreen with the phone as I can watch movies in cinema style 3 times bigger than on my flat tv. Projector Quality is great even for 15 lumen!
2. You can project and play HD Android Games (such as Modern Combat 4, NFS most wanted, Deadtrigger 2, Fifa 14....) on the projector on a 0-100 inch size. You just need to connect your PS3 controller (or bluetooth keyboard) over sixaxis, connect your soundsystem and off you go (watch my channel introduction video)
3. You are not limited to Android Games only. You can play console Games (Super Nintendo, NeoGeo, Playstation1, N64 and all the rest) over the PS3 controller on a Huge projected Screen
4. You can install Ubuntu on the phone, connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and project this on a Big projected Screen making your laptop look like a toy
5. You can project ANYTHING which is visible on the phone onto the projector (youtube videos, your pictures, documents, websites (streaming movies over websites works as well)
6. You can stream everything which is displayed on your laptop on your phone´s projector. Lets say ur at the other end of the world wanting to watch a movie which is installed on your home PC. You can do that remotely. My next video will be about that ;)
7. You can use the overhead projector function if you are a lecturer or teacher. Connect your mini bluetooth keyboard from riitek which has an integrated laser pointer and you will have your audience drop their jaws
8. The phone does not cost much. Its around 300-350 euros
9. You get 2 batteries once you buy the Beam. If you watch a movie on the projector 1 battery lasts up to 4 hours not a couple of minutes as some think..
10. You can go swimming with it, do underwater pictures and videos if you have the krusell sealabox
11. You can put the phone into your pocket. Can you put your flat tv or laptop into your pocket?
12. I think you got the idea ;)
Why am I writing all this? If more people would know how good the current Galaxy Beam actually is, then Samsung might do a phone with better specs. But as no rat knows about it why should they bother? BTW the new Beam is the Beam 3 NOT 2. The first beam was the GT-i8520, the current one is the GT-i8530 and the new one the SM-G3858. Even Samsung couldn´t get that right
thanks for reading, hope I cleared out some things regarding Samsungs projector smartphone idea and check out my channel or fb for more BEAM news. Have a great one ;)
29. Leopold (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 May 2015)
Here you are spouting rubbish again about how this phone can play Full HD videos. This is a lie. The phone does not support full HD playback. Even if it accepts a full HD video it will not output in Full HD so what is the point of mentioning this? You wrote on the GSM arena website that you never claimed the phone can play Full HD playback. Your comments here and your original YouTube video indicate otherwise.
You also sell these phones and have a vested interest in these devices and appear to monopolise all public debate on these devices as if you are some kind of authority. Many of the claims you make on your Facebook page have no technical credibility of any kind. You claim you can make the camera better with software, even though this approach has never yielded a positive result for other devices.
You also say you can make the phone waterproof and scratchproof without any screen protectors and or cases. You have said you can get OTG support even if the hardware does not support. You just say these things without any evidence or technical basis. You have been saying for a very very long time that you will deliver a KitKat rom for the older Beam model, and in spite of your problems, your initial assurities indicated that it was only a matter of raising funds. It has proven to be a technical challenge since the proprietary projector app cannot be made to work with genetic Kitkat Cyanogenmod ROMs. It requires knowledge of the way the phone uses the projector. You say you can do something, then you say you can't or you have had unanticipated problems which makes you look like a fool for saying things with incredible certainty. Look through this guys videos, the claims he has been making, and his inability to reconcile those claims with reality. His offensive response to some of my genuine observations of the Beam 2's obvious flaws (which have also been identified and been commented upon this dude's Facebook page) shows how much integrity he has. He thinks if a phone can randomly get a GPS fix at 40 seconds, it works fine. In reality, the phone hardly ever locks and I had two of these devices and even after using this individual's 'solutions' there was hardly any improvement. Staunchly defending obvious product flaws is counterproductive. The Beam 2 hardware is very poor and that will not change.
30. allabouthegalaxybeam (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
Lol. You obviously have never owned a single Beam 2, otherwise you would know that it can very well do Full HD playback. So stop acting like you know it all and call people liars. And this is the last time that I will say this. The Beam 2 CAN play Full HD movies as a playback, but it can not project in Full HD. I never said that it can project in Full HD so enough of that childish he said she said. So I hope this got to your head now. And no, I am not an authority. I am somebody that tries to help people whereever he can. I can´t see you doing that beside complaining like a little girl. And now regarding the camera. I don´t know if you are able to read in general. But do you understand the difference between me saying that I will "try" to make it better, and that I promise to make it better. If you do not know the meaning of the word "try" please google it. Because I have already explained you that I never promised anything when it comes to the camera. You can make the phone scratch and splash resistant with products such as "crystalusion" but I never claimed to make the phone fully waterproof. Where did you get such BS? Do you have any proof for that claim? If not remain silent ok. And I don´t know to what OTG you are refering to (the GT-i8530 and the SM-G3858), but it seems you are an expert in hardware support and you know right away what can be done and what not right? Anyway. The only thing that I am sorry about is the way the Kitkat project is going atm. Unfortunately I depended on people that first said certain things are possible, but then bailed out. It was the first time that I did something like that because nobody else gave a crap. Things do not always go the way you want. Maybe one day you will get that. But saying that it´s all their fault would be wrong. It was my fault that I announced things before I have them in my hand and I have learned from this mistake. For the Beam 2 fundraising I did not promise anything anymore and when it comes to future projects it will be the same. So people like you cannot come and bash on somebody that tries really hard to give people a chance to get something better. You had 2 devices? Really? If they are so s**tty with so many flaws why did you get 2 then? It is evident to me that you never owned a Beam 2 so stop making things up. Yes, GPS could lock faster, yes the phone could have much better specs, yes it does have it´s flaws but I never said it´s perfect. But most probably you will now claim that I did right? ;)
31. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
I am not him, but as a person who is interested in smartphones and projector phones, I want to tell you my opinion.
=Although it cannot have an output in fhd, being able to play fhd is really necessary for me. I had an SIII before I had the beam, and the phone not being able to show the videos I have shot earlier was a headache for me. But he once said in his video for the i8530, the old beam, that it is better to play higher quality videos- this isn't true and is just loss of storage.
=If you ask me, for a person to act like an authority isn't something really good, but it's not a big deal..
=I think a camera can be made better with software too, for example the beta 4.1 version has bought the ability of zoom, and a much faster camera; or the google camera app enabled to take 360 panaromas.
=For making a phone waterproof, one can make his/her phone nano coated; but I, too have no idea what he wants to make about it.
=I think projector can work on roms too, see roms that had been made for the older beam (i8520 halo).
=The phones hardware isn't so much poor, depending how much you expect from a low range specs phone, you can't expect it to be as fast as flagships nowadays, it is as I would call, ok. in most of the situations..
32. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
And, I appreciate his hard working. He tries to help people, even though they don't even thank him in the most cases.
33. allabouthegalaxybeam (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
Let me reply directly to what you wrote because I think it´s important to share thoughts. Full HD playback is possible. And I think I have to make a video for that so people do not believe everything one "expert" writes. Usually most of the HD or Full HD content can be played on the standard preinstalled player. I only had 1 or 2 videos that had issues on the standard player, and thats why I always have backup players. The vlc player, bs player and mx player to be exact. And yes, I once said that when I watched a Full HD or HD movie on the Beam Gt-i8530, the quality seemed better than at a lower resolution. And I stick to that. I watched a s**tload of movies on that previous beam and that´s how I experienced it. I know it might not make much sense, but I stick to my words. It could be that the compression or format was different on these movies, but I will still and alway say that the quality was better. But I understand when you say it´s a loss of storage. As my "claim" doesn´t sound reasonable. But anyway. That´s how I saw it and I´m not going to change that opinion. And I never claimed to be an authority. Never have, never will. I am somebody that tries to help and exploit the possibilities of this technology and that´s about it. Full stop.
17. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2230; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Lol why not just use a MHl hdmi adapter, and view it on your tv
19. buccob (Posts: 2479; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I use a microHDMI cable still... but the point with this is that you do not need anything else other than a light flat wall and a dark enviroment... for people in sales, por people camping, as a baby toy to distract them with projections... etc
I like this idea... but I like my current phone a bit more... specially since the current Beam does not offer MHL capabilities...
25. CombativesGear (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
Everyone, I have 5 of these available for sale. Please let me know if you're interested.
28. allabouthegalaxybeam (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
You can now buy the Samsung Galaxy BEAM 2 on ebay dot com! Just type in samsung galaxy beam 2 into the search field ;)