Metal-made Samsung Galaxy Beam 2 SM-G3858 gets official in China
0. phoneArena 24 Apr 2014, 06:19 posted on
The new Galaxy Beam 2 is far from being a high-end smartphone, and that's why Samsung will likely sell it for a low price...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ancellim (Posts: 31; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
480 x 800 on 4.66 inches screen - that'll will make it 200 ppi. Isn't that bad for a "mid-range" phone?
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2141; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Because the projector will beam exactly what's on the phone screen, it's resolution is limiting the screen's resolution to WVGA. A 720p projector at this moment doesn't make sense from a size, heat, power and cost standpoint, I however wouldn't mind a 7" tab with a higher res beam.
14. walnuttt (Posts: 134; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
I want this phone long time ago since the first generation Galaxy Beam was announced (Gingerbread) and now Galaxy Beam 2 was announced the second time around, I will surely look for a way to have this great phone. Good job Samsung!
7. magnanimus (Posts: 342; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Good luck getting a timely update. It even comes with Android 4.2 out of the box.
18. YuLeven (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 May 2013)
It won't matter if the phone perform as you expect it to. Getting aroused at features that you COULD have IF they updated the phone is quite pointless. Make an extension of this concept to life and I could be on a garden on the shores of the mediterranean eating grapes and being pampered by a dozen of nymphs, but I'm on friggin Phone Arena rattling about phones.
3. wando77 (Posts: 355; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was min 720p screen and snapdragon 800 with 2gb ram.
Also should have 4000mah battery with a projector and at nearly 12mm thick there is no excuse not to really.
9. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 723; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Its a crappy phone that samsung experiments with until in 5-6 years this technology becomes so portable that it will add it on a flagship phone. Few thousands of clueless sheeps will buy it and samsung will laugh over them.
11. garlic456 (Posts: 226; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
People buying Galaxy Beams aren't idiots. It's an amazing phone. Please go see a Galaxy Beam, then speak.
Note: Why am I getting blocked when saying sh eeps? It says be polite or else youll get banned from the forum? What kind of thing is this?
15. walnuttt (Posts: 134; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
anti samsung/ hater detected.
-set fire to him now-
21. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Wait....experimenting with mid range and low end phones and perfecting the ideas for flagships in 5-6 years is a bad thing? Sometimes trial and error is the only way to perfect something. You can test something within the company in a closed environment for as long as you want but you won't notice some problems until you release it to the public. Just ask your lover Apple about Apple maps and IOS 7 in general.
I knew Apple fans were retarded but this is a new high. If a company is willing to test something, let alone for 5-6 years and include the perfected version in their flagship at a later date down the line...how is that a bad thing? Lol it's not like any other company would ever do that for the consumer....
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 1692; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Is that a metallic back?It looks much better than their other plastic back covers
6. nlbates66 (Posts: 315; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
looks similar to the titanium grey cover on my Galaxy S III really.
13. RandomUsername (Posts: 606; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
I highly doubt that is metal. Samsung is famous for its metal imitations :/
20. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Yes, because metal is bad for a phone, it gets scratched easily and is heavier. If you want a metal phone go get an iphone since you know nothing or search for bankrupt companies (i wonder why) like the glorious htc.
22. walnuttt (Posts: 134; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Yes I agree on you, metal build quality is bad for a phone and Samsung knows that really well that's why they're not producing a metal phone because of its weakness. Yes metal phone is a good looking, feels great to hold but the downside is that the phone becames weak, and prone to damage when falls off (especially internal parts). Samsung knows best when it comes to build quality!
23. doubledown1990 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
lol what an excuse. samsung is a crap
24. RandomUsername (Posts: 606; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
I'm not saying plastic is bad, but this is just false advertising!
10. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
16. allabouthegalaxybeam (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
I´d like to clear out some things regarding the Samsung Galaxy BEAM. Who am I? I am the ONLY person that does proper tutorials and videos about the current Galaxy BEAM. My youtube channel is youtube.com/allabouthegalaxybeam I often read that people think the phone is useless and pointless. So I´d like to clear out some things regarding the current Beam (Gt-i8530)
1. You can project HD and FULL HD movies on a 0-100 inch size. Yes, not only 50 inch as Samsung states. That means that since I have my Beam I swapped my flatscreen with the phone as I can watch movies in cinema style 3 times bigger than on my flat tv. Projector Quality is great even for 15 lumen!
2. You can project and play HD Android Games (such as Modern Combat 4, NFS most wanted, Deadtrigger 2, Fifa 14....) on the projector on a 0-100 inch size. You just need to connect your PS3 controller (or bluetooth keyboard) over sixaxis, connect your soundsystem and off you go (watch my channel introduction video)
3. You are not limited to Android Games only. You can play console Games (Super Nintendo, NeoGeo, Playstation1, N64 and all the rest) over the PS3 controller on a Huge projected Screen
4. You can install Ubuntu on the phone, connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and project this on a Big projected Screen making your laptop look like a toy
5. You can project ANYTHING which is visible on the phone onto the projector (youtube videos, your pictures, documents, websites (streaming movies over websites works as well)
6. You can stream everything which is displayed on your laptop on your phone´s projector. Lets say ur at the other end of the world wanting to watch a movie which is installed on your home PC. You can do that remotely. My next video will be about that ;)
7. You can use the overhead projector function if you are a lecturer or teacher. Connect your mini bluetooth keyboard from riitek which has an integrated laser pointer and you will have your audience drop their jaws
8. The phone does not cost much. Its around 300-350 euros
9. You get 2 batteries once you buy the Beam. If you watch a movie on the projector 1 battery lasts up to 4 hours not a couple of minutes as some think..
10. You can go swimming with it, do underwater pictures and videos if you have the krusell sealabox
11. You can put the phone into your pocket. Can you put your flat tv or laptop into your pocket?
12. I think you got the idea ;)
Why am I writing all this? If more people would know how good the current Galaxy Beam actually is, then Samsung might do a phone with better specs. But as no rat knows about it why should they bother? BTW the new Beam is the Beam 3 NOT 2. The first beam was the GT-i8520, the current one is the GT-i8530 and the new one the SM-G3858. Even Samsung couldn´t get that right
thanks for reading, hope I cleared out some things regarding Samsungs projector smartphone idea and check out my channel or fb for more BEAM news. Have a great one ;)
17. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2015; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Lol why not just use a MHl hdmi adapter, and view it on your tv
19. buccob (Posts: 1656; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I use a microHDMI cable still... but the point with this is that you do not need anything else other than a light flat wall and a dark enviroment... for people in sales, por people camping, as a baby toy to distract them with projections... etc
I like this idea... but I like my current phone a bit more... specially since the current Beam does not offer MHL capabilities...
25. CombativesGear (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
Everyone, I have 5 of these available for sale. Please let me know if you're interested.
28. allabouthegalaxybeam (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
You can now buy the Samsung Galaxy BEAM 2 on ebay dot com! Just type in samsung galaxy beam 2 into the search field ;)