Meet the toughest, most durable rugged smartphones money can buy
0. phoneArena 24 Jan 2014, 06:39 posted on
Smartphones are all the rage nowadays. They can take photos, run apps, give directions, and much more that was once impossible to do a cell phone. But the smarter and more powerful smartphones get, the more fragile they become, it seems. These smartphones, however, are a bit different. They aren't going to wow you with their hardware specs and they're definitely not going to win any beauty awards with their designs. But they will outlive the average smartphone thanks to their rugged construction...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
17. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
why isnt the "Runbo X6" in phone arenas phone data base?? i wana show that i want it.
2. ScottSchneider (Posts: 330; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Runbo X6... Sounds like they have a Rambo on their hands... Fully Equiped...
4. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Why there is no high end spec version of these babies? S4 active and Z1 are bunch of pussies when compare to these.
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Why would anyone buy a bulky daddy doodee ugly rugged phone with high end specs? These rugged phones are for those who has a tough job like construction worker that will accidentally drop their phone.
9. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
i would if it had a slightly smaller screen, say 4 inches, and to protect, a halh inch all around to protect it from whatever comes its way. like i wana be able to KNOW my phone wont Break u know? thats y i mite get that Runbo X6, its got great specs n i hope its rugged enough. but these tough phone need to be done correctly, with better specs n MORE toughness. like a 2 story drop survival. i know they can figure it out lol
11. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
CASIO G’zOne Commando body with Galaxy Note 3 guts would be perfect.
12. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
perfectly on the right track at least!!! i dont think that beas would survive a 2 story drop test. it mite need a Flexible screen made of plastic instead of glass.
13. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
I agree. A floating circuit board just like the Casio G Shock will survive that kind of a fall or even more. Liquipel both the inside and the outside to protect it from molds and stains(also water of course).
16. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
yea that, what ever that is! i was thinkin too, fill in gaps with an oil so that it can absorb the shock. that liquid would disperse shock, not intensify right?
18. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
The circuit board is mounted on a rubber or silicone instead of directly attaching it into the chassis and act as an internal shock absorbers. Oil filled devices(silicone oil) exist and are only use in Scuba equipment and Technomarine watches for protection extreme water pressure(1000 meters and above).
19. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Well put that shizzle in a phone!!!! the Oil stuff i mean... i guess the rubber/silicone is a great start :( Beggars cant be choosers :)
10. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Because there's not a big enough market for them.
14. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Actually, demand is quite big. Road and mountain bikers, triathlon, outdoors man and etc. Otter box and similar products is too bulky and the phones that are inside is not rated handle extreme weather and humidity. The CASIO G’zOne is an example of tough but thin body and Sharp(forgot the model) is as thin as Galaxy S3.
21. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
You listed all small groups of society who aren't big enough for large scale production. For groups like those, they can get one of these shown above.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yeah, those phones are tough, but not as tough as the Nokia 3310.
6. Tommy1960i (Posts: 118; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
The only reason to buy one of these is for a hard job as a scientist or something like that because they are ugly and just enormous.
15. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
We have then at work, can run over then with 5 ton wrecker, and survive no issue.
20. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
My bad, freaking smartphone a Sonim is not.
22. RuggedSmartphone (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Sep 2014)
Ithink he is good
you can join us here for latest Rugged Smartphone