Meet Tactus - the touchscreen that pops into physical buttons on demand, then flattens back
1. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Nice but regular touch keyboards is working fine
9. frustyak (Posts: 202; Member since: 08 Mar 2010)
For you, they're working fine. For many people, they're not. I know many people that refuse to give up their blackberries simply because of the physical keyboard. Just because everything is trending toward black slab touchscreen phones doesn't necessarily mean people don't want physical keyboards. They're moving away from physical keyboards because they make the phone bulkier and more expensive, not because they like their virtual keyboards.
13. poddey (Posts: 77; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Swype users won't really need this but physical buttons are always better for serious typing.
This is seriously cool. I hope the pop out keys feel like real chiclet ones.
26. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I am more worried about side effects .
Such as those of LTE
3. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Displays and screens are the next race after all these processor stuff. I'm feeling it.
A Galaxy Phone, 5" w/ 1080p, the Xensation Cover, with this technology, and all of it is unbreakable because it bends... i see the future... lol
8. tedkord (Posts: 9090; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You only see it. This company only developed it. Apple is scrambling to amend patents to cover it.
23. Ivan6479 (Posts: 249; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That's funny!! I'm sure Apple is already trying to get patents on this. LOL
4. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I want an analog stick that pops out :D
15. poddey (Posts: 77; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Like a boss! Sweet... yeah I can think of some other applications that this could be put to good use for. A certain recent wallpaper comes to mind. :D
7. hung2900 (Posts: 920; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
And if Apple buys it, somebody will shout out loud "It's REVOLUTIONARY!!!"
6. mercorp (Posts: 1006; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Bye bye hardware keyboards.
(and blackberry qwerty phones)
14. poddey (Posts: 77; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Maybe... maybe not, if they haven't died already. A slide out qwerty keyboard still gives you more space on screen to see the document/message you're typing and the conversation you're having.
If anyone should buy out Tactus it should be Blackberry. This would be perfect for BB10.
10. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
This is indeed impressive,with so many people moving from button feature phones to smartphone these days this will make the process slot easier for them
11. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
man i hope this works better than RIM's attempt at a tactile touch with pezio. Some worked fine, like mine, but so many had flaws galore.
if it can be user programmer controlled to pop buttons out pretty much anywhere that would be great. pop up analogue controls for games, keyboards, ect.
12. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
just wishing that Apple should not buy it as if they buy this thing they will just patent it and then say that "They created innovation" and not let other companies use it
16. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
This was actually news a year ago. Apple probably already has their patents modified and will revolutionize the smartphone world with it in the iPhone 5.
17. hepresearch (unregistered)
Why would Apple need to "modify" their patents in order to "revolutionize" the iPhone... again (chuckle chuckle)... with a tactile dynamic touchscreen? They have enough cash that they could BUY Tactus and its patents without blinking an eye... I mean, Apple has enough cash that they could own practically the entire mobile OEM industry, if they just left out Samsung, without even exercising stock swaps... but, wait a minute... oh yeah! That would temporarily slightly reduce the size of Apple's cash pile by a couple million bucks... what a huge inconvenience! Okay, I guess your plan for Apple to "modify" some existing patents isn't so bad, afterall! I mean, they'll just release it on the iPhone 5, then just sue Tactus for infringement, and then just legally block the imports of OEM’s who license the patent from Tactus...
27. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
What is up with the thumbs down...Google is your friend people this is old news. And, with Apple's lame announced features in the next IOS they really needed new hardware. Stealing this might have saved their bacon.
18. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Not that it isn't cool or innovative, but am I the only one kinda freaked/creeped out by that popping out screen? It gives me tingles
19. greatGreekGeek (unregistered)
man, this technology is just so adorable! flexible glass screens, pop up keyboards...these last few days on phonearena have been so cool. welcome to the future, folks!
20. BomberXL (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
can we make the surface go in? i can think of some interesting ways to use that. ;)
21. Brewski (Posts: 231; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
I'm curious how this would work with a screen protecor or the water-proof type case. Most people on this forum complain of how fragile phones are and it seems they put some kind of protection on the phone. I've always put at least a screen protector on my phones if not more.
24. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5704; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i would LOVE this on my next phone! o: