Matias Duarte says the Android UI is only a third into the level of polish needed, "better get back to work!"
0. phoneArena posted on 19 Sep 2012, 03:20
Responding to an article that analyzes all the little quirks and inconsistencies even in stock Android, and even with Jelly Bean, like lack of landscape orientation support for the interface, random actions of the back button and so on, Matias Duarte, Android's UI chief, took to G+...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. galanoth posted on 19 Sep 2012, 03:25 27 0
Running CM10 on my Galaxy S III and I just love it.
If this is Android at only 1/3, can't wait to see what Matias has for future Android versions.
12. kartik4u98 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 04:12 3 0
ya me 2...my NeXUS is buttery smooth on stock jb as well as well as cm9 n aokp...
30. JonBjSig posted on 19 Sep 2012, 08:01 2 0
That makes me really excited to see what happens in 4.2/5.0, I'm running stock 4.1.1 on my Nexus S and Nexus 7 and it's unbelievable.
The only thing that's bothering me is that the Nexus 7 really isn't equipped to run Android 4.x+, but even then it's still really good.
39. JonBjSig posted on 19 Sep 2012, 15:20 2 0
Meant to say Nexus S isn't quipped for 4.1, the Nexus 7 definitely is.
38. Pings posted on 19 Sep 2012, 13:00 0 0
I know right. I'm running Linaro AOKP JB Build 2. Wow this rom is super fast, and stable. If this is 1/3 of Android iOS doesn't stand a chance. This is the innovation and evolution of Android. It is great how much they are pushing the envelope. Now if they other guys would innovate instead of copy someone elses idea's and sue companies like they invented it. We would have some real competition.
4. bobfreking55 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 03:39 5 3
Ice Cream Sandwich was the beginning of the end for iOS. Wait for Zebra Cake, iPhone would not even reach iPhone 9, we'll be at Galaxy S 23 or something.
8. Berzerk000 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 03:53 3 5
I don't think Android will make it to Z. Soon, the Android Era will end, and will be replaced with hands free smartphone solutions. Google Glass is the first prototype of the next-gen of the mobile industry. Who knows, maybe Google will just re-brand Android into something else to keep it current with the tech, and not get rid of it completely. It might be called something else and be used differently, but Android will be the foundation of the new UI of the next generation.
9. bobfreking55 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 04:02 3 0
I don't think they'll change the name. Windows has evolved into Windows Mobile and Windows Phone and is still continuing the naming.
Android must establish a very polished tablet UI. The failure of Chromebooks will lead to a Desktop Version of Android soon.
I'm actually making a concept, a Droidbook Nexus. I think Android will reach Z, but that's a far time away.
25. kshell1 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:28 1 0
Considering jelly bean is J and zebra cake is Z with Z being the final and 26th letter of the alphabet and J being the 10th with approximately one edition being released per year we have 16 years until zebra cake.
40. dmckay12 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 15:49 0 0
True, but considering J is the 10th letter and Android turns 5 in November (from first phone released), then it could be released in as few as 8 years (unless minor updates receive new names).
13. kartik4u98 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 04:13 2 0
huh...please explain me how'll galaxy reach no.23 and iphone only 9??
19. bobfreking55 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 06:15 4 0
i meant Apple wouldn't even reach 9 if Android becomes so polished and the Galaxy and other phones will live on.
23. kartik4u98 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:08 3 0
u meant by popularity and overall market share...
35. TylerGrunter posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:05 0 0
Because iPhone 9 will come in 7 or 8 years! ;-)
5. Berzerk000 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 03:47 7 2
Only a third? Jelly Bean is a third of the way there, and it is arguably the most functional and smooth OS out right now? Can't wait to see where Android will be in 3-5 years, when they should be more than half the way there if they increase productivity...
6. platformwars posted on 19 Sep 2012, 03:48 5 0
Wow.. only 1/3rd... Can't wait till it reaches 100%
11. Sniggly posted on 19 Sep 2012, 04:07 14 2
This is what I love about Google and its heads. If there's a major issue that's pointed out, they'll agree, apologize, and/or announce they're already working on it. No bluff, no guff, no bulls**t. They're not afraid to admit they're still working on and improving their operating system.
26. ayephoner posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:31 1 1
29. kanagadeepan posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:56 0 0
Yes, they don't give answers like "You are seeing it wrong" to such critics..
14. bloodline posted on 19 Sep 2012, 04:30 4 3
IMO android is the future of mobile platforms. Others can only look on as android over takes them and eventually overlaps them.
Cant wait for the next addition to android.
15. darac posted on 19 Sep 2012, 05:15 2 0
Okay Goog, polish up the design of Android but please don't make new guidelines to make apps look uniformed.
It would restrict imagination and creativity of developers.
And just like nature shows us, diversity is what drives evolution and progress.
16. yowanvista posted on 19 Sep 2012, 05:33 2 0
"like lack of landscape orientation support for the interface"
What is he even talking about? That feature is already implemented in ICS/JB
18. krispyguy23 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 06:10 3 0
I think he is talking about the home screen orientation.
21. Lawliet posted on 19 Sep 2012, 06:46 1 0
My phone has homescreen landscape.
It's not really great, but still nice
33. JC557 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:06 0 0
My old Droid Charge did that when placed in its dock and that was on 2.2.
22. StreetNerd posted on 19 Sep 2012, 06:49 0 0
i can be a designer like him... copying from WP
24. Kronic (banned) posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:12 2 4
Thats why I dumped android! It is a very awesome os with a lot of personalization but the apps and the UI are not nearly as refined as ios. Accept it guys don't just dislike my comment, android needs improvement.
31. kanagadeepan posted on 19 Sep 2012, 08:03 0 1
"However perfect one may be, there is still room for improvement"... Google knows this and so they are accepting and correcting the flaws and moving forward steadily...
Not like the half-eaten rotten fruit co person saying "I have done correct by placing antenna outside---BUT, YOU ARE HOLDING IT WRONG"... How you felt when your fav person said those words??
28. mercorp posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:37 0 0
Apple must have gave him icandy to suck inreturn of these words
36. remixfa posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:13 0 0
so basically he wants to improve it another 150%... from JB.
You go boy. JB is pretty damn great the way it is. If your plans are that big, I'm all for em.
37. speckledapple posted on 19 Sep 2012, 12:25 0 0
I think JB is probably the best most complete version they have come out with. Its solid.