Man's iPhone 4 explodes
The iPhone 4 was sitting on a wooden table when the incident occurred. Everything was fine, until the phones battery got so hot that it started to smoke, causing the smoke alarm in the house to go off. The phone heated up so badly that the back just blew off. It didn’t blow off all the way as you can see, but it’s only hanging there by a thread.
Apparently the guy went to the Apple store in hopes of getting a replacement; hopefully they fulfilled that need for him. This isn’t the first time an Apple product has practiced spontaneous combustion, so tell us what you think in the comments below.
source: Slash Phone
7. JeffdaBeat posted on 17 Feb 2011, 11:45 3
Maybe he was holding it wrong?
The biggest reason why this is a big deal is because it's an iPhone. Let's not forget other stories of phones heating up to the point where they burn people's skin in the past. I think the rare instances that something like this happens compared to the amount of iPhones on the market right now makes it not a big deal...still I wonder what could have caused it to blow like that...
10. tedkord posted on 17 Feb 2011, 12:12 1
Damn it, you beat me to the holding it wrong line...
Anyway, whenever you have a rechargeable LiPo battery, you have the chance of explosion. They're the best compromise currently between size and power stored, but they're also volatile. They need to be charged properly, to the right amount and no more, stored properly, etc...
It could have been failed control circuitry that cuts off charge once full
2. snowgator posted on 17 Feb 2011, 10:11 1
Okay- I do not care if you love the iPhone- that's kinda funny!
3. breathlesstao posted on 17 Feb 2011, 10:42 0
...let me guess, this is no malfunction or some such, just another revolutionary feature, aye? 8)
And btw - Youtube and Sony, plz go f××× yourselves, thank you.
4. moofoodooloo posted on 17 Feb 2011, 10:50 2
Pretty worthless video. Was the phone plugged in when it happened? That would be nice to know.. very hard to believe it would just start overheating on its own.
5. killemall (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 11:14 1
small price to pay (seing your phone exploding) for a best phone in world (for now i hope)...
6. dcgore (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 11:24 2
Maybe "there was an app for that"
8. Tristann posted on 17 Feb 2011, 11:54 0
Third Party Charger? My G2 would get extremely hot from a third party charger i bought and would remain cool if i used the charger that came with it.
9. ibap posted on 17 Feb 2011, 11:55 0
I'm not an iPhone fan, but this story is fishy. Somebody is just looking for attention, and this obviously modified video is their sick way of getting it. Probably they dropped the phone in the john, and now they're trying to make it look like it blew up on its own.
11. Mike the Pirate (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 12:39 0
Too bad it wasn't Steve Job's head.
Eventually, that will explode, too.
12. DJLegacy2k5 posted on 17 Feb 2011, 14:26 2
If only the iPhone had affordable insurance options...oh wait, they dont because that would require them to offer something resembling customer service.
14. JustPlainDave posted on 17 Feb 2011, 15:32 0
We can't have Apple attempting customer service. Do you know how much social uproar would ensue?
13. Kevin098 (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 14:42 0
I can't see it because it contain sony music entertainment which is blocked in my country !
15. nmnn (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 15:51 0
iExplosion, the app :)
16. Presiyan (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 16:18 0
please give another link to wach this video :)
17. Jersey (unregistered) posted on 17 Feb 2011, 16:31 0
Now, if a good portion of iphone users would also explode...
18. Lunix (unregistered) posted on 18 Feb 2011, 07:10 0
How come iphone4 it has heat sensor
19. omar huertas (unregistered) posted on 20 Feb 2011, 23:23 0
this is apple reply to the iphone blowing up and thinking replacing a phone n seeding me a 64 gig ipod touch is enuff post this i need traffic to get the media attentionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v