Man's iPhone 4 explodes
The iPhone 4 was sitting on a wooden table when the incident occurred. Everything was fine, until the phones battery got so hot that it started to smoke, causing the smoke alarm in the house to go off. The phone heated up so badly that the back just blew off. It didn’t blow off all the way as you can see, but it’s only hanging there by a thread.
Apparently the guy went to the Apple store in hopes of getting a replacement; hopefully they fulfilled that need for him. This isn’t the first time an Apple product has practiced spontaneous combustion, so tell us what you think in the comments below.
source: Slash Phone
7. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Maybe he was holding it wrong?
The biggest reason why this is a big deal is because it's an iPhone. Let's not forget other stories of phones heating up to the point where they burn people's skin in the past. I think the rare instances that something like this happens compared to the amount of iPhones on the market right now makes it not a big deal...still I wonder what could have caused it to blow like that...
10. tedkord (Posts: 7718; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Damn it, you beat me to the holding it wrong line...
Anyway, whenever you have a rechargeable LiPo battery, you have the chance of explosion. They're the best compromise currently between size and power stored, but they're also volatile. They need to be charged properly, to the right amount and no more, stored properly, etc...
It could have been failed control circuitry that cuts off charge once full
2. snowgator (Posts: 3422; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Okay- I do not care if you love the iPhone- that's kinda funny!
3. breathlesstao (Posts: 78; Member since: 16 Apr 2010)
...let me guess, this is no malfunction or some such, just another revolutionary feature, aye? 8)
And btw - Youtube and Sony, plz go f××× yourselves, thank you.
4. moofoodooloo (Posts: 137; Member since: 04 Jan 2011)
Pretty worthless video. Was the phone plugged in when it happened? That would be nice to know.. very hard to believe it would just start overheating on its own.
5. killemall (unregistered)
small price to pay (seing your phone exploding) for a best phone in world (for now i hope)...
6. dcgore (unregistered)
Maybe "there was an app for that"
8. Tristann (Posts: 76; Member since: 04 Nov 2010)
Third Party Charger? My G2 would get extremely hot from a third party charger i bought and would remain cool if i used the charger that came with it.
9. ibap (Posts: 733; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
I'm not an iPhone fan, but this story is fishy. Somebody is just looking for attention, and this obviously modified video is their sick way of getting it. Probably they dropped the phone in the john, and now they're trying to make it look like it blew up on its own.
11. Mike the Pirate (unregistered)
Too bad it wasn't Steve Job's head.
Eventually, that will explode, too.
12. DJLegacy2k5 (Posts: 212; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
If only the iPhone had affordable insurance options...oh wait, they dont because that would require them to offer something resembling customer service.
14. JustPlainDave (Posts: 45; Member since: 03 Feb 2011)
We can't have Apple attempting customer service. Do you know how much social uproar would ensue?
13. Kevin098 (unregistered)
I can't see it because it contain sony music entertainment which is blocked in my country !
15. nmnn (unregistered)
iExplosion, the app :)
16. Presiyan (unregistered)
please give another link to wach this video :)
17. Jersey (unregistered)
Now, if a good portion of iphone users would also explode...
18. Lunix (unregistered)
How come iphone4 it has heat sensor
19. omar huertas (unregistered)
this is apple reply to the iphone blowing up and thinking replacing a phone n seeding me a 64 gig ipod touch is enuff post this i need traffic to get the media attentionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v