Man sues Apple over iPad Smart Cover
0. phoneArena 27 Apr 2012, 15:14 posted on
The United States Patent and Trademark Office may have granted Apple a design patent for its iPad Smart Covers yesterday, but a Colorado man is claiming Apple’s popular iPad accessory violates a utility patent he already owns...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 819; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I hope he wins.
...and first.. by the way..
4. itiswhatitis (Posts: 419; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
i wish i could tumb you up and down but since i couldn't i tumb u up instead!
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4599; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I also hope that he will win.
So who is now copycat??? :)
2. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5281; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It is going to be a stretch for Bovino to prevail. If he had patented a detachable cover that was connected to the case of the computer by at least two magnetic attachment points, it would be a completely different matter. Of course, there would be the inevitable challenges based on prior art, but that is another issue.
5. MEeee (Posts: 189; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Did Apple Just ‘Borrow’ The Smart Cover Idea From Incase?
6. shadowcell (Posts: 300; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
I remember when they introduced this "case" and could have sworn Apple just bough the patent rights from them and just renamed the patent but I'm guessing not.
9. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Apple will smash this guy in court.
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4599; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Don't be so sure, in the past Apple already has lost some cases against individual people. So, maybe...
10. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
I kind of see why he brought this case on...but it seems like he is more angry about the design and not the function. The ribs in the SmartCover is for it to fold, not so much for extra protection. But I'm not a patent lawyer. I just don't think this guy has a case.
11. networkdood (Posts: 5512; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
The guy should settle out of court - make APPLE purchase a Samsung Galaxy Note and a SG3 for him....
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4599; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
He could ern more money from his patent than any other phone cost!
15. Sangeet (Posts: 225; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Who the hell cares where the idea came from, the only thing that matters for me is that the smart cover is a very good thing which protects the ipad screen and also eing functional. Let people say whatever they want to but only ipad made this thing extremely useful not those patents which were getting trashed in the patent files.
why just make a patent and let is stink, why not use use it and make it functional
16. adi4u4882 (Posts: 135; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
At least now Apple should quit claming others copycat.