Magna Carta Holy Grail app fails; one million Samsung Galaxy owners can't download Jay-Z's new album
In addition, the first million Galaxy owners with the app were supposed to be able to download the album once the clock struck 12 this morning. But the app did not work and a million people were left hanging in the wind. To add insult to injury, the free behind the scene content on the app also has not been working. Jay-Z fans have been left looking for ways to pirate the tracks.
Unfortunately, when something like this happens, it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of consumers. If Samsung tries to do something like this again, whether with Jay-Z or another artist, there will be a backlash from those who were promised something that Samsung failed to deliver. It should be interesting to see the spin that comes out of both Samsung's and Jay-Z's camps over the next few days.
UPDATE: Apparently Samsung has corrected the problem from earlier in the day as we are hearing from our readers that they are now able to download the album. Enjoy!
1. lilg29 (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
I have a galaxy s 3 and it took a little bit for it all to work. I did get the album but after 2 hours AFTER the release point. It wasn't worth it to be honest.
7. ukfan15 (Posts: 12; Member since: 02 Jul 2010)
You got an ENTIRE ALBUM FREE 3 days before it releases to the general public but because you weren't able to get it for 2 hours after the initial release it's not worth it? Wow.... sense of entitlement in this country is embarassing
9. lilg29 (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
Sure i'm happy that I got the album but I just didn't like what Jay Z did, I listened to a lot of the songs and I just didn't like them. That's what made it not worth it. Had it been some one else I really liked I would been super happy. Yeah I got an entire album for free but i just didn't like how they executed the plan.
10. av911 (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
It could've meant the album sucked, not the time it took to get it.
12. tedkord (Posts: 4470; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
A JayZ album sucked? Thats hard to believe...
17. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Worked fine for me. Samsung fail? Nope, just another phone arena fail.
2. bradley.block (Posts: 6; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
I just downloaded it...not quite sure how this is a fail? Oh and I just downloaded the app for the first time, so there definitely not been one million downloads yet.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 10354; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man is this was apple, the Sammites would be all over it.
22. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
" Man if this was Apple, the Sammys would be all over it "
29. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
"Man if ('Conjunction junction what's your function?' - apparently, you don't know!) this was Apple," the iTuniTes would have to pay $29.99 for the album (even if it were worth only a penny) because nothing on iOS is "FREE"!!
64. Chaseism (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 May 2013)
iPhone users like to support their artists. As an independent artist...I am thankful for this...
40. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
For one why would apple do this. If it's successful they might. But let's be real apple doesn't give a cap about its consumers as long as there is a demand for there product. It doesn't matter how they drive that demand.
4. rwitt1 (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
I downloaded it no problem. Awesome!! No fail here
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6215; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Let me know which track is hot from Jay-Z.
59. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
The whole album is great from start to finish.
6. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 798; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Errmm...downloaded mine on my GS4, also downloaded on my mates phones which include GS4, GS3 LTE and GNote2.
http://imgur.com/ajWp7GK :) already listened to the whole album, so not quite sure what PA is on about? Maybe me and the MANY on Twitter, Instagram and Vine who posted that we got it are imagining it.
8. Kevinphantom (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jun 2013)
I'm from iraq I can't download it like that if I want to I can easily download it in the mp3skull
11. Carlitos (Posts: 307; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I downloaded it pn my Galaxy Note 2. You just have to wait a while for the content to show up in the app.
53. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
That's nice to know, how long before you realized your mistake and deleted it?
13. Tre-Nitty (Posts: 460; Member since: 16 Nov 2010)
The album is average at best. The app is even worse. You cant use the album in the music player on the phone, you can't rewind or fast forward any tracks, there's no credits for the album. Jay-Z is smart, this album would've tanked without this samsung push!
15. lilg29 (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
The songs are actually in the music folder on your phone, i found it.
14. tedkord (Posts: 4470; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I would consider not being able to download a JayZ album a feature.
16. 1liono373 (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
phonearena was to quick to qossip, not everyones app failed . i got mine last night at 12.03 am along with my friends who also have the S4. the Album is worth the wait even if it was 3 sec or 3 hours later
18. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
Rap sucks and so does jay z enough said
23. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Raggae and Dub music is much better. More listenable and enjoying and chilled.
Not swearing and your mom this, your dad this, I fkd this, drugs bla bla bla. I mean am I in a aggresive mood or hyped! Music is ment to be enjoyed.
ENIGMA® is a great master piece of music to listen and chill to.
44. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
True, and he ruins that sweet girl Beyonce's songs with his GhettoTude®!
61. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Listen to the album, you won't be disappointed unless Rap just isn't your genre. Maybe because I grew up around so many different types of music I'm open to anything. The production is really good. There aren't many albums that I can say that I didn't skip or dislike a track, but this one is one of those for sure.
Also, if Rap/Hip-Hop is your genre, listen to Joey Bada$$' mixtape. He did his thing. He's only 17 and much better than a lot of older rappers.
27. Whateverman (Posts: 3187; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Again, it's not rap. The stuff you hear now if a shell of what rap really is. This stuff now is rhyming to music.
45. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
You call that "rhyming"? The SugarHill Gang was rhyming!
54. Whateverman (Posts: 3187; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Rapper's Delight was a classic. It was a party song, nothing more. But it helped give birth to a whole new form of music. It will forever be one of the greatest raps ever made for that reason alone. Thirty years from now, no one will remember Chief Keith, Future, or Waka Flaka Flame. No disrespect to them, they did their thing, but they're are just rappers. The members of The Sugar Hill Gang were "Emcees", there is a difference.
46. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
No dude... YOU suck. Just you.
60. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Your comment...sad opinion and irrelevant.
19. VictorP (Posts: 24; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Download worked for me this morning. Not sure how I feel about the cd, but I haven't had much time to listen to it all.
21. busa03 (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
I was able to download it this morning, What I don't like is that you need an internet connection for it to work.
26. zig8100 (Posts: 118; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
He means after the download. There are hard copies on the phone. Just needs a restart for tje phone to load it into the player.
56. busa03 (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
I was not clear with what I wrote. I meant after downloading it, It needs the internet to play
25. zig8100 (Posts: 118; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Restart your phone and it will load into your player. Smh
28. Tre-Nitty (Posts: 460; Member since: 16 Nov 2010)
Hey thanks for the heads up. Even though its not the best album, at least I can now listen on the music player!
57. busa03 (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
That's exactly what I Meant. Thanks for the heads up I restart it now it's on my play list.
31. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
All I have to say is, "Ha-ha-ha-ha......" ... that's what happens when someone with little to no talent achieves moderate success and begins to have delusions of grandeur; the nerve of Jay-X-Y-Z trying to associate himself with the original Magna Carta!!
47. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
No talent?? Moderate success?? BWAHAHAHAHA!! You OBVIOUSLY don't know what you're talking about.
51. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Now you're "Digital" Jedi, what happened to your "Darkk"-ness??
You need to stick to one handle and stop trolling under many; just use one to do your Trolling, it's all you really need.
You're probably still stuck in 1999/2000 when he "might" have been relevant; there's no arguing the fact that he's been able to capitalize on his limited talents, it's called networking and marrying Beyoncé.
55. Whateverman (Posts: 3187; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I'm not a big fan, but you do realize this guy basically took over hip hop after Tupac and Biggie (The Notorious B.I.G) were killed, right? He didn't need Beyonce to become who he is.
65. Superpiff (Posts: 36; Member since: 29 Jul 2012)
You call 11 platinum albums 17 Grammy's and half a billion net worth moderate success don't be foolish
32. downphoenix (Posts: 2289; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Jay Z hasn't been relevant in years, did people seriously make a big deal about this?
48. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Really?? Another one who doesn't know what they're talking about. You're probably a Soulja Boy fan.
34. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6215; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Because its not available yet people. When album is out for sale u can torrent the music.
35. Sniggly (Posts: 6761; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
When will companies learn that stunts involving large amounts of people trying to get online and do the same thing at the same time rarely work?
38. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Lol true there's to much going on at one time to reach everyone at once......great idea but reality kicks in and so do problems unfortunately
39. MartianMe (unregistered)
I told you this wasn't going to be good... samsung stop making deals with these people is bad luck!
43. PAPINYC (Posts: 2232; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Alan F. but, don't blame him, this article was doomed from the beginning due in large part to the JayZie factor; Alan was just trying to bring us something on a slow news day. It probably would have been better to recycle and expand upon yesterday's article about Samsung selling 20 million (twenty million) Galaxy S4 devices worldwide in two short months!!