Lumia 630 and 635 unveiled – the first WP 8.1 handsets are coming this summer
How are the two smartphones different? Here's the nitty-gritty: the Lumia 630 is available in 3G single-SIM and 3G dual-SIM variants, which is finally made possible in Windows Phone 8.1. Meanwhile, the Lumia 635 is a single-SIM only, 4G/LTE-connected smartphone.
Microsoft recognizes the importance of dual-SIM functionality for their customers in the developing markets and has given special attention to it. The dual-SIM Lumia 630's home screen is graced by two individual tiles for each SIM card. Each card can be separately assigned to work only with specific contacts, so users can, for example, call their family and friends through one card, and call their business contacts through the other. This way, different contacts categories can be kept in two separate communication zones, so to speak.
Overall, the Lumia 630 and 635 do seem like uncompromised entry-level devices. While we would have been thrilled to see Microsoft bump the RAM to 1GB, Windows Phone 8.1 should be able to make do with the available 512MB. The 5MP rear camera is ho-hum as well, but that's pretty good for an entry device.
Stephen Elop announced the pricing and tentative launch times as follows: the Lumia 630 and 635 will be launching between May and July 2014 in worldwide markets, priced at $159 for the Single-SIM Lumia 630, $169 for the dual-SIM variant, and $189 for the 4G-enabled Lumia 635. T-Mobile confirmed that it and MetroPCS will be offering the Lumia 635 in the USA this summer, while T-Mobile's Nokia Lumia 521 and Nokia Lumia 925 owners, as well as MetroPCS customers who own the Nokia Lumia 521, will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1 in the summer as well. AT&T also confirmed that it will carry the Lumia 635 in the summer.
Nokia Lumia 630 & 635
1. akki20892 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Good move to bring in two carriers. Its going to sell more.
21. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2726; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It's not really two carriers. T-Mobile & MetroPCS are the same company. T-Mobile has just allowed Metro to keep their brand identity for the foreseeable future.
22. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2726; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I didn't see that AT&T will be carrying it as well. My bad.
2. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Looks a good entry level model and competitor to the Moto G.
7. ihavenoname (Posts: 1522; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Actually really good competition. My money would go to Moto G, but I really like this too. ATM my 2nd favourite low-end phone.
17. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1152; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
guess what my friend Lenovo who now owns Motorola that makes the MOTO G smart phones is now GUESS WHAT a Windows 8.1 smart phone partner. Now all Lenovo has to do to make some money is put the Windows phone 8.1 operating system on the MOTO G. wow oh they will have a damn good Windows 8.1 smart phone and give Nokia a run for the Money What do you
smart phone fans think of that
18. corporateJP (Posts: 1852; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Don't hold your breath, Google made sure there was a clause in the contract stating "Android-only" on Moto devices for an undisclosed time frame once Lenovo fully takes over.
3. hurrycanger (Posts: 1293; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I'm glad WP 8.1 will come to the L521 in the summer.
5. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
I sure hope those are not on-screen buttons. Otherwise, great phone for the price.
6. PorkyBurger (Posts: 256; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Aaaand I thought 635 will have LED flash....DOESN'T MATTER, AMAZING PRICING~!!!
8. ihavenoname (Posts: 1522; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
I'm not that big fan of Windows Phone, but I really like this one. Finally some real competition to Moto G.
10. Lt.Green (Posts: 397; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Hope they release a 631 with 1G RAM. 512 MB is just sad.
12. hurrycanger (Posts: 1293; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Agree. 512 mb of ram is not cool anymore.
15. makar (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
can't use 512 MB for refocus app. that is so disappointed me.
16. GamasK (Posts: 22; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Eh? My Lumia 620 can use refocus app, it's available now on every lumia
11. mayur007 (Posts: 472; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
looks value for money phone
1gb means this come with refocus app yeahh
i ll be buying a dual sim one
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6740; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
NAME OF SONG please NOKIA and whens the next gen 41mp 1920 NOKIA coming?
19. Cyberchum (Posts: 281; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
It better be able to play that asphalt airborne I saw on that tile. I'm sure getting the 630 dual.