Living with the Samsung Galaxy S5, week 3: the many faces of TouchWiz
0. phoneArena 12 Jun 2014, 09:07 posted on
It's now been three whole weeks since I first took the Samsung Galaxy S5 in my keep, and it's time we sat down and talked about the hottest-selling Android flagship on the planet once again. So far in the series, I've spent a lot of time talking about the truly mind-boggling number of features and perks the Galaxy S5 and its TouchWiz software makes possible, and that's not at all coincidental...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. maherk (Posts: 2197; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Let's hope he finally made it through the settings menu.
6. ojdidit84 (Posts: 424; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
LOL... Same thing I was thinking. I tried an S5 ROM on my N3 and the settings menu was just like any other Android settings menu. It just had a different layout. How he still wasn't used to it after a day let alone two weeks just baffles me.
26. ojdidit84 (Posts: 424; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
What? The fact that a Note 3 ROM was made using the S5 version of TouchWiz? Unheard of right?!
12. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 409; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
It's literally identical to any other menu, and the option for bigger icons makes it less crowded? Why is this an issue for everyone?
21. spin9 (Posts: 185; Member since: 31 May 2014)
SAMSUNG has to answer why announces 16 and 32GB models and the 32 isn't' anywhere to be found (EU). Or should I ask Google?
16. joey_sfb (Posts: 3999; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Yes! for the feeble minded. Touch Wiz is really above your curve.
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9708; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It really isn't. It's more organized than Apple's settings menu tbh.
27. ojdidit84 (Posts: 424; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Agreed . The first time I went into the Apple settings menu looking for settings for an app which I figured would've been, you know, INSIDE the app itself was definitely a learning experience. I know where to look for what now but that took a few days to find how to navigate through everything.
2. hunted (Posts: 381; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
why dont you have other phones as well? It's like advertising a product just because you like it?
3. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Yeah PA, how many writers and reviewers do you have? Why not have each one do the same with the current flagships - M8, Z2 and G3? As interesting as this S5 article series is, I have no interest in getting one and would be much more interested in the same type of in-depth weekly articles on the three phones mentioned above. Just my two cents
7. PeterK. (Posts: 204; Member since: 13 Nov 2013)
I'll just leave this here:http://www.phonearena.com/news
34. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Haha yeah I saw that just after my post Peter! There's still the G3 and Z2 to do though. PA seems to me like they favour the M8 and S5 above all else, and it shows in their individual phone reviews.
18. gregoryyy3 (unregistered)
You know Chris and Kevin are probably laughing at you right now.. Cause I am.
4. T.Law (Posts: 392; Member since: 10 May 2014)
Do you even bother to read the previous reports?
5. maherk (Posts: 2197; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
It's not like he is praising the phone, he was totally bashing ot in the 1st 2 articles. And am sure he will be reviewing other phones, just be patient and wait for it.
8. TruthSpeaker (unregistered)
Glad you (the tech journalist) has finally got to grips with Touchwiz. Yup it's got a lot of options. An you won't miss them till your next phone doesn't have them.
*still wishing my Z2 will magically aquire Touchwiz*
11. chocowii (Posts: 383; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Hey PA, I hope other flagships can have this much attention from you. Tell us, are you paid on doing this? Tell us just for the record.
13. maherk (Posts: 2197; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
You just made a fool of yourself buddy, try reading the comment section before commenting.
24. chocowii (Posts: 383; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
What? If the other users said "Good job" then I cant post my "Good jobs" too?
23. shuaibhere (Posts: 1859; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
They did this with g2 and m8 too..
pls come regularly to site before bashing them....
14. Elfmonster (Posts: 143; Member since: 23 Dec 2013)
I kept reading y'all here advising to switch to Nova launcher. I kept thinking "Yeah whatever." Last month, I installed it on all my Androids. Holy crap. I'll never go with horrible stock launchers ever again. It's superior. I mean even Buzz launcher makes these big companies' stocks look like total dog poop. Thanks to whomever kept beating the drum here for launchers. I finally listened.
19. Carlitos (Posts: 388; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I very much enjoyed this article. It just proves that touchwiz really is not al bad as people have it to be. Specially in this new touchwiz, it has been greatly trimmed down compared to other versions, it even occupies less space than HTC's sense UI. Yes, some people might have other preferences on how it looks exactly, but touchwiz is far above any other android UI out there at the moment. While, you might not like how it looks, the tens of millions of people who buy Galaxie's love it!!!! Samsung is not going to change just because .012% of tech geeks say otherwise.
28. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
i buy android because of touchwiz. if there was no touchwiz i would have bought a nokia wp.
29. fzacek (Posts: 2420; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
If you want to get a smartphone for your elderly folks, the Moto G would be a great choice...
32. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Though that would be great, considering how good it is for it's price, I would suggest something with an HD screen for the elderly folks, so that they can comfortable zoom in and read the finest of tets.
In my opinion, I would suggest them something with an easy to use UI with bigger icons, fonts etc. Even nexus 5 would be great considering it's price and HD screen ;)
33. fzacek (Posts: 2420; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Moto G has a 720p display. And don't tell me that an elderly can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, lol! I guess the Nexus 5 would be a good choice too...
31. FaisalWibowo11 (Posts: 149; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
S5 tied with Z2 in dxomark
Z2 is better in photo score (the lowlight performance cost S5)
But S5 is better in video