Lenovo sells more mobile devices than PCs for the first time, now fourth smartphone maker worldwide
0. phoneArena 15 Aug 2013, 03:58 posted on
For the first time in its history Lenovo sold more mobile devices, such as phones and tablets than its bread and butter until recently PCs. The company made $174 million on revenue of $8.8 billion...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mariosuneo4 (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
even Lenovo beats Nokia in shipments with a huge margin
near to Double
Nokia u r so old....but still more down
7. pyradark (Posts: 710; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
for sony, only on units sold not in profit!!!!
Lenovo-12.1M(2.4Billion) VS Sony-9.6M(4Billion)
9. Sarajevo (Posts: 37; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
I think the things will change in 3Q and future quarters. This is probably last year when companies like these Chinese, and LG and others could say that they outsold Nokia. I think, in 2014 Nokia will be among three bigest smartphone producers. Nokia is still 2nd bigest producer of mobile phones. Fall is over for Nokia...
12. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Are you dreaming? XD
18. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Never mine, just wait and see :)
21. busa03 (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
Nokia needs to start selling android devices to have a chance. Samsung,Htc,etc are selling both flavors why don't they give it a shot.
11. sri_tech (Posts: 184; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Its not funny when 95% of those phones are sold in China only.
They released their phones in many Asian markets but still only 5% of those phones are sold outside China.
Their smart phones and tablets revenue is just $1.4 billion which also includes thinkpad tablet2, lynx (windows) which cost much higher than all their android smart phones and tablrts.
All their android phones and tablets sells for $100-$200.
The cheapest lumia sells for $200 in q2. Only in USA its selling for $100-$120 in q3
Even if you assume all the 7.4 million are Lumia 520 which are sold for $180 then that revenue itself is more than lenovo's ssmartphones and tablet revenue combined.
2. sharks (Posts: 163; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
3. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 544; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
i am impressed by Lenovo
"We can blame the Chinese market for Lenovo's success, as 42% of its sales went there" SO being a Chinese company is actually a blessing for LENOVO. Nice...
8. Tcool (Posts: 38; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Where is Sony, Nokia, Motorola and Huawei? Which takes the number 5 slot?
16. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
ZTE takes the fith place. Just in case you don´t know: another chinese company.
The rest are in others, but most likely (just guessing):
6th: Huawei (chinese)
7th and 8th: Yulong and Xiaomi (two more chinese companies)
10 and 11: Sony and HTC
It´s difficult to say exactly as all of them are between 4 to 9 Million sales this quarter. So they are pretty close.
22. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Here you have the list you wanted:
I was not too far away from it ;)
10. MartianMe (unregistered)
Yea well apple doesn't really built anything ......................soooo..........
5. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 664; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Great work by Lenovo, now they just need to figure out a way of breaking into the US and Euro markets.
Quite incredible, they have overtaken the Has-Beens of mobile aka Sony and Nokia in such a short space of time.
14. kobainez (Posts: 292; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
WHY u always need to mention sony in every comment? U really hate them troll dont you?
6. tiara6918 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Lenovo's strategies are definitely working very well. So this was really expected of them
15. superkuiken (Posts: 34; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
Wow, we don't even have a single smartphone for sale in my country.
I don't know a single phone of that company, and now they are 4th worldwide!
17. buccob (Posts: 1041; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Wow... I have yet to see a Lenovo phone in person... it seems to be popular in other regions of the world... but definitely not here...
20. MistB (Posts: 543; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Probably because most of the world's population is you know, based over there, not just counting India/China but other Asia-specific regions plus if you mean here, as in the west, that's probably because they don't need us....yet. Lenovo/Huawei/Oppo/Xiaomi and ZTE will pretty much be the next batch of rising superstars that will be taking advantage of Android and the next big thing in Ubuntu if it kicks off.
19. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
it's mostly sold in asia, and is being endorsed by kobe bryant so yes maybe 4th is legit