Leaked images may point to dual-core iPad 2S, not quad-core iPad 3
0. phoneArena 01 Feb 2012, 10:50 posted on
Far be it from us to stop reporting non-stories when they happen, so we though you all might like to know that there is more proof that the iPad 3 (or iPad 2S, or iPad 2.379) has the components that we all expected...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Paden (Posts: 262; Member since: 07 Jul 2011)
Let's hope it's true! The iPad needs a quad-core processor to keep up.
4. Astreo (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 May 2011)
yea because the Ipad isnt outselling every other tablet out there or anything.
18. SuperEd (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Right...so why even come out with the iPad "s" or whatever? Your point is ?
28. Paden (Posts: 262; Member since: 07 Jul 2011)
If anything (and what I meant in my previous post was), as apps become more complex there will be a need for faster processors.
I wasn't talking sales.
The iPad needs to constantly improve. Whether it's small changes or big changes it needs to keep up with fresh features or more reasons to buy. Yes, it is the best selling tablet, but Apples tablet market share is shrinking (now I'm talking sales).
But, you're right. Apple is very smart about what features they choose to add and when to add them. Did Apple need to release an ALL NEW REDESIGNED IPHONE? A lot of people thought yes, but sales figures show otherwise.
I'm sure many consumers would be happy with a retina display, LTE, more RAM, and a slightly tuned A5 iPad 2S. I know I would. A high resolution screen is one of the things that is keeping me from getting a new iPad. Quad-core would be the icing on the cake. Either way, the new iPad will sell.
8. c.hack (Posts: 492; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Subjectively after 6+ months of use, my 1st gen iPad still feels faster and more responsive than my Tegra2 A500 Android tablet.
35. -box- (Posts: 3735; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
maybe because you're using an operating system that was designed for a music player with multimedia capabilities (ipod), instead of a computer-esque operating system designed for a person needing the capabilities of a computer in their pocket on a device that also makes phone calls?
24. bigdawg23 (Posts: 353; Member since: 25 May 2011)
My iPad 1 runs just fine. I have used an iPad 2 and it runs faster than most Android tablets.
2. zackh121556 (Posts: 98; Member since: 01 Feb 2012)
WOW Thanks Apple, More of whats already out lol....where is the Flash? this is why I stick with Android!
3. Astreo (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 May 2011)
i have an iphone and an ipad and have never needed flash for anything.
9. c.hack (Posts: 492; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Even Adobe has admitted that mobile flash is a dead end. Flash's claim to fame is battery drain and instability. Time to move on already. Get over it.
12. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2657; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Yeah, I've been using Android for the past couple years and I think I've used Flash fewer than 10 times. It's really not a good argument any more.
21. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i still use it quite often. It all depends on which parts of the net you are trolling in.
31. Commentator (Posts: 2325; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Yeah, Flash is really helpful if you happen to like watching movies and TV shows without having to pay for them... not that I do that...
39. TARDIS (Posts: 16; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
I use flash every day on both my prime and s2 for watching anime and other videos. I feel that it's still a decent arguement.
37. xvengence42 (Posts: 20; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Whats sad is that apple doesn't need to incorporate flash and it still dominates android in sales and customer satisfaction. Nice try though.
42. tedkord (Posts: 4466; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
In tablets, yes. For now. However, tablets are a fledgling market for android OEMs. They will overcome iOS exactly as they did in smartphones. It's inevitable.
5. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid (Posts: 123; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
"It is just a random mockup that we found and thought it looked far
cooler than the actual iPad 3 is likely to look."
27. dZW (Posts: 23; Member since: 16 Jun 2008)
this article was written so very well..... bahaha
6. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
before people get all crazy about the quad core A6 being the best its manufactured by samsung. therefore it isn't apples processor the best its samsung. the display isnt theirs nothing is lol except maybe the design
29. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Pot calling kettle black, how ironic! You are probably the biggest troll on this site along with gemini(ex taco) and the miz.
13. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Samsung manufactures apples chips. We all know that. But what some people either don't know, fail to understand, or ignore for the sake of trolling(and I accuse you of none of those) is that the chip design is not samsungs. Apple designed the Ax series(A4-6) in house.
7. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
If the a4 is S5L8930X,
And the a5 is S5L8940X
Shouldn't the quadcore be S5L8950X?
Ill be the first to bet my lunch money that the next ipad with the S5L8945X is 1.5Ghz dualcore.
15. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2657; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Great point! I'm gonna update the article
48. Slammer (Posts: 971; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
It is one thing for society to be drugged up on Apple. However, the Media and forum sites such as this one have become so caught up in the Apple movement, that they lose all sense of great journalism. Maybe it would be best to wait for factual evidence before placing continual acticles on Apple. It can avoid possible unnecessary and embarrassing "updates".
16. SuperEd (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Um, i'll stick with my iPad 2, thank you very much. What's the use of being overcharged for data usage from the greedy carriers with LTE. Useless for me. Some of you that are corp sponsored it's a great deal. For the general public...no thanks.
19. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Yay, I prompted an update, xD.
23. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2657; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Valuable, insightful comments will always get more attention from me. Not so much with the rabble...
26. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5555; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you're awesome squallz! i'm jelly. xD
20. Doakie (Posts: 1168; Member since: 06 May 2009)
LOL. This sounds like a huge iFail 2S. Stupid Apple fanatics buying the same thing with incremental updates. You realize you're paying stupid amounts of profit margin on buying the same thing you already had with a little different specs, right? I wouldn't really be that proud buying from a company with profit margins like 71% on their iPhone 4. Thats like thanking and defending your rapist.
25. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2657; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Pro tip: you can just use the reply button on a comment to reply to that specific comment.
30. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
so i get thumbed down for pointing out a fact?
32. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5555; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Apple designs the processors that Samsung builds for them and they were wise to choose an OMAP4(MP2) over the Mali-400 that Samsung would've used so i'd say Apple should get some credit there.
36. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
well i was just saying what i had heard, im not claiming to be a technology genius its just what i knew.
33. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
so whats the new features on the ipad 3s? a 2mpx front camera? lol
34. -box- (Posts: 3735; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Realizing it's apple, they won't release quad-cores until late this year or next after everyone else already has, and then say it's innovative and magical and that it's the only way to get a quad-core
38. trollhunter (Posts: 7; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
I am the anonymous source. I sent it to mess with their minds. I'm just a fake douche who likes to put up more rumors.
40. theoak (Posts: 320; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
If it is the same cores, just more of them ... they may have decided just to up it a half step?
The A4 to the A5 actually brought more cores AND functionality.
If the A6 is more a core count bump ... again, it could just be a half step.
Who knows ... this is all speculation.
43. tedkord (Posts: 4466; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Why would they release an iPad 3 right now? The iPhone 4s proved once and for all that Apple can release ANYTHING, and the iOS faithful will buy it. Why waste money on developing something new when you can sell people the same thing they already have now, knowing that they'll buy the upgrade next year anyway?
44. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
hahhaa Love the picture made me click on the link one time. Then got a full explanation of it not being the ipad 2.379