Leaked HTC training document tells reps that the HTC One (M8) is better than the Samsung Galaxy S5
0. phoneArena 11 Apr 2014, 00:28 posted on
An HTC training document, used to show sales reps how to push the HTC One (M8), has leaked revealing HTC's game plan to sell the device. It seems that the Taiwan based manufacturer expects the biggest challenge to come from the Samsung Galaxy S5, and as a result, HTC lists five reasons why the HTC One (M8) is better than the Samsung Galaxy S5...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. AfterShock (Posts: 2983; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Wonder why HTC is getting called out versus any other OEM?
Do we think no other provides propaganda with their goods?
4. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
This is the same exact thing Samsung does. I used to work for Samsung in Best Buy, and they teach you to bash the other brands. In fact, that's all my marketing lead wanted us to do rather then try to gain customers by telling them actual facts about the phone. All Samsung has on customers is telling them why the iPhone, and other highly desired phones, suck. Insecurity at it's finest.
40. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2866; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
HTC should start building all their phones with metals then speak.
41. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Their focus (and this articles focus that is describing HTCs focus which is in plain sight on paper) is all about the new M8, not their other phones. L2Read.
46. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2866; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Company is meant to sell multiple phones to the customers not just a single One. So tell them to stop brainwashing. And metal may lead to electrocution, I mean chances increases for such instances. It's a wrong marketing trick.
67. express77 (unregistered)
s5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>m8 and this is only because of crappy camera. what kind of 'flagship' have 4 mp camera in 2014.
97. sgodsell (Posts: 1437; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
You use to work for Samsung at best buy and you are saying all Samsung has on customers is to tell them why the iPhone and other highly desired phones suck and Samsung is insecure. So you want us to believe you. Yeah okay, and I will sell you some cheap land at the artic ocean, great price. Please even the iPhone is going to make larger phones like the Galaxy line up. I use my Galaxy S4 as an altimeter on my ultralight and a temperature gauge. Then at home I don't care about TV or other remotes because the S4 is a universal remote. When I take pictures and show them off I can just wave my hand to scroll through them. The new S5 is now water proof, has a finger print reader, and a new heart rate monitor. Yes some people won't use or need them, but at least they are there. I plan on upgrading to the S5 even for the water proofing and faster processor.
98. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Your point in replying a pointless comment was….?
p.s: Since you're one of Samesungs butt buddies, you should tell them to fix their "fingerprint scanner". I'd be able to type in a 500 character password by the time I get my fingerprint to work.
13. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
To be honest, all they have to do is put them side by side. Nough said.
33. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
But the S5 would ruin the beauty of the picture :(
34. hassoups (Posts: 385; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Everyone on the Internet worked at best buy for Samsung apparently
38. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Strange, considering they get suckish and miserable kiosk traffic, compared to Apples kiosk.
17. Whopyourass (unregistered)
It's simple, because no other Android phone now beats the Samsung S5 at the moment in terms of processing prowess except for the new HTC One.
For quite time already I have always suspected that PhoneArena has been bought over by Samsung discreetly and used to promote Samsung's products while PRETENDING to give Balanced reviews?
Look at the biasness of the article on HTC One Vs Samsung S5. Obviously the New HTC One is so much better designed but noticed the reviewer only made a general remark on the HTC One's design and then went on to heap sooo much praise and justifications on Samcrap's Plastic phone and Glamorous Band-Aid design? See below:
" Oh boy, we can definitely understand HTC for praising its premium aluminum design, which has become even more attractive in the One (M8). With even more metal and a beautiful gunmetal finish, the HTC One (M8) is certainly a treat for the eyes of smartphone lovers.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy S5 remains true to Samsung's idea of an Android smartphone – it comes with the familiar Samsung look, but there's a twist this time around. After the glossy plastic of the GS4 and the faux-leather finish of the Note 3 (and some of the late GS4 variants), Samsung has once again decided it's time for a change, and so the Galaxy S5 comes with the new Glam look, which features a rubbery plastic finish on the back, decorated with an eye-catching, dotted pattern.
As a whole, both devices look quite good, with the HTC One (M8) having the more striking and premium appearance of the two. In terms of comfort, however, the GS5 proves to be the better handset, as its rubbery plastic material feels warm and inviting to the touch, whereas the cold and hard surface of the all-metal HTC One just isn't so comfortable to hold. "
Oh please, I went to check out both the HTC One and the Samsung S5 models displayed at the telco store yesterday, and the HTC One feels a whole lot different and much better than the S5. The S5 just feels exactly like an S4 or a Note 3 in the hand, I dun even feel anything exceptional about it. And yet here, they are heaping praises on the S5. LMAO.
My suggestion is, go try for yourself in person, you will then know they are Biased. LOL!
35. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Poor keyboard, wondering it can take so much abuse lol.
76. mrblah (Posts: 549; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
D/L another keyboard, Androids have so much customization, right? Your comments are so dumb it hurts.
78. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
What a dumb reply. Read #17, he's extremely long comment must have really took some abuse on the keyboard(pc or laptop not android, physical one). Hence the comment. Geez.
61. iushnt (Posts: 762; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
why so much butthurt?? relax dude, go and have some beer..
27. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
why dont htc bring RDJ and let him explain the Sales rep about Ultragimmickpixel camera.They'll understand everything.
36. mmmanuuu (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
He won't go and do things. He gets Jarvis to do things for him ! :P
72. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, but with other OEMs, they don't lie, or give their own opinions as truth...
1) Aluminium !> Polycarbonate...FEELS premium and IS premium are 2 different things. Sure, it feels premium, but isn't waterproof certified, dents easily with no way to repair it, not to mention all the problems that come with an aluminium body (Static shocks, sharp nicks). Say what you want about plastic, but at least if a single part is broken/nicked, it can easily be replaced.
2) Nothing to say here cos this is the only thing I like about the One so far.
3) Wouldn't need motion launch if the idiots at HTC didn't design the phone with it's power button on the top of their long @** phone.
4) Duo camera doesn't make up for 4MP, effects can be done in photoshop, megapixels cannot.
5) Wouldn't be the first company to promise the earth and the skys without actually doing anything or making it easy for the customer...
92. b1acktiger (Posts: 210; Member since: 19 May 2012)
1. Its IPX3 certified(Splash proof), go google or youtube for the tests. They didn't advertised it, maybe there are lots of dumb people who dip their phones.
2. Motion launch mean. Double tap on screen woohoo it wake up from sleep.
3. Its not the best camera phone, But its the best camera phone for those who share the pictures to social medias.
95. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Oh paleeeez i completely disagree the 3rd point. Best cameraphone for social media seriously. My s2 still takes a lot better 8mp shots than s2. My twitter client automatically scales it to 5mp or 3mp and the result is a lot better than actual photo taken with 5mp. Ask any kid which image is better, taking a photo with 5mp camera or scaling from 8-13-16-20-41 to 5mp.
2. MrJerry (Posts: 398; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
"metal beats plastic"
where I stopped reading this news..
28. tenho1982 (Posts: 62; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
To be clear, there are quite a few cheap Chinese phones in the past 2 years with metal body, only priced under $200, no carrier contract.
39. vincelongman (Posts: 1707; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I stopped reading at "easy one-handed use"
The M8 is as tall as the original Galaxy Note, 147 mm,
I think you'd need to be over 7 foot to use it with one hand decently
45. ToxiD (Posts: 41; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
But it is also more narrow and curved. The width is the main thing why you can't use 1 hand only. Check comparison M8 vs S5 from Android Authority.
62. iushnt (Posts: 762; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
s5 is easier to use than M8 in terms of 1 hand use..
75. true1984 (Posts: 593; Member since: 23 May 2012)
th s5 is wider with bigger side bezels so how is that possible?
71. vincelongman (Posts: 1707; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
i never said the S5 was easier to use with one-hand
IMO the S5, M8, Z2 are all too big for easy one-handed use
3. joey_sfb (Posts: 3245; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I actually prefer plastic phone for safety reason. I can always add a metal bumper afterwards.
8. pwnarena (Posts: 977; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
in the same way you can also add a plastic cover afterwards:D
5. JMartin22 (Posts: 1245; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
HTC only loses out on the display, camera, removable battery, ergonomics, size, weight, dust and water resistance, the most up-to-date SoC and possibly battery life ratings. But it's alright, right?
29. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Except display I agree with everything else.
80. true1984 (Posts: 593; Member since: 23 May 2012)
they have the same cpu, the battery life is about the same(anand tech gives it to the m8, gsmarena to the s4 and both were by slim margins,), weight is a ridiculous argument especially at 15g. i'll give the s5 the display and camera since the ui is better on the one
6. NoFanboy (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
In other breaking news Microsoft thinks they're better than Apple.
77. papss (unregistered)
Because they are.
7. SamsungELITE (unregistered)
metal beats plastic? yes I agree, metal phone got much serious damage when falls off the floor than the plastic...
21. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
SamsungELITE's comment is not bias what-so-ever guys.
53. SamsungELITE (unregistered)
I dont know if you are praising me or not but whatever it is, I'm just telling the truth. Never mind my name im a no fanboy here... P.S I'm using different phone brands (Samsung, Sony, HTC) so im not being a fanboy of whatever company you are thinking of.
9. limporgyuk (Posts: 156; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
If anybody cares to look at any other tech website (ZDnet, Phonedog, Android Authority, Technobuffalo, T3 ....) they too prefer the M8 to the S5, it's only this website that seems to be on the fence.
20. Whopyourass (unregistered)
Agreed! Even mobile-Review's Eldar Murtazin also heaped praises on HTC One M8 whereas the S5 is just another 'standard' Samsung to him. He wasn't impressed at all by the 'Band-Aid' look of the S5 saying the back of the phone looks CHEAP and the phone back casing reminds him of those third-party back-covers sold for less than 5 pounds. Is that where Samsung derived it's inspiration from? That's the 'Glam' look really. Lol
22. tenho1982 (Posts: 62; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Transparently he read the HTC training document lol
10. yahiaM (Posts: 17; Member since: 02 Apr 2014)
Of course its better , i saw the videos in phonebuff on youtube htc m8 was faster than iphone 5s with 7 seconds , iphone was faster than galaxy s5 with 5 second so if we made a comparison between the galaxy s5 and htc the difference would be 12 second and that is really suck! , galaxy s5 suck and we have to put in mind thatthe galaxy s5 has 801snapdragon with 2.5Ghz , htc m8 has 801snapdragon with 2.3Ghz , iphone has apple a7 chipset with 1.3 Ghz ,,, look at the difference between iphone 5s and galaxy s5 and the iphone5s stills faster !! What a shame on samsung , i guess they are lying about the galaxy s5 speed
23. tenho1982 (Posts: 62; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
"htc m8 was faster than iphone 5s with 7 seconds , iphone was faster than galaxy s5 with 5 second so if we made a comparison between the galaxy s5 and htc the difference would be 12 second and that is really suck"
Wow, good math, suck logic.
47. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
They tested chrome instead of the built in AOSP browser. Samsung has tweaked AOSP browser to run faster than chrome. So argument failed.
11. twens (Posts: 700; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Well, thank you. You can keep your dent metal . I prefer my scratch and dent free plastic.
85. crogs (Posts: 11; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
You're assuming we've seen dent-less M8's... I haven't seen one outside of the Sprint store, and sprint is already selling them for $50 on contract.
93. crogs (Posts: 11; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Makes perfect sense. I haven't seen one M8 out in the wild. So if I can't find one, it's bit hard to even find a dented one. I have an Evo LTE. Even using it around the house, I keep it in a case. Just nothing forgiving about it. My old plastic Samsung lived for three years without a case and looks like it's a few months old.
12. Calvin35 (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
"Easy one-handed use...." I now know why HTC is failing. Apparently they don't actually use their own products.
Here is what Samsung's list would look like.
1. Lighter phone
2. Smaller phone
3. Much larger usable screen
4. Better camera
5. Brighter screen
6. Removable battery
7. Wireless charging
8. Reachable power button
Just shut up HTC.