Leak mentions LG, Sony, and Samsung Nexus devices
0. phoneArena 21 Aug 2012, 17:19 posted on
Earlier today we saw some leaked specs for a possible Samsung Galaxy Nexus refresh, but a new leak is showing that the old news about Google expanding the Nexus program may have been correct. The new leak shows that in addition to Samsung, LG and Sony may be building Nexus devices...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hunted (Posts: 287; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
Sony would be great!! thats is all i wanted :)
20. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
waiting for Xperia Nexus...
67. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Stole my words hahah :D Xperia Nexus also sounds really awesome!!! thumbs up! :)
23. POLICE (banned) (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
Me to. With quality and style like there Z series laptop on a phone.
40. Goldeneye (Posts: 344; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Hell yeah! that's what I'm talking about, any brand other than Samsung should be good and nice enough, sick of Samsung for so long already, their Nexus devices feel so generic and cheap, yeah samsung's trademarks.
85. megaSUNNY (Posts: 55; Member since: 26 Jun 2012)
yeah,samsung is good but feels cheap and boring.its time for something new
51. snowgator (Posts: 3149; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Love what Sony brings..... I would be very interested In a Sony with stock Android.
Wonder why more handset makers must don't put out stock Android. Who says Skins make the Android experience better, especially with the improvements in ICS/JB?
83. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
sony makes really good phones...
hope google will let manufacturers release a nexus phone on its line
samsung galaxy nexus II
motorola razr nexus
sony xperia nexus
lg optimus nexus
huawei ascend nexus
asus transformer nexus
it will be a nexus party!!!
86. a961009 (Posts: 96; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
how about htc one nexus??
or One N(nexus)??
87. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
oh sorry... i forgot about htc... my bad...
2. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I can't believe Motorola isn't on this list.
9. JGuinan007 (Posts: 600; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Moto can't make a NExus device for a while Google is trying not to show favoritism toward that OEM if they got a contract for a Nexus device all other Android OEMs would go Apes**te.
12. MingLiangChen (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
How long should they wait for? 12 months later? I'll wait ...
13. Fallout09 (Posts: 408; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Don’t agree with that comment.... If Google just opened the Nexus program to other OEMs there should be no issues with Moto making one too. I welcome the idea every OEM making a "Vanilla" Nexus device.
14. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Totally agree. Equal opportunity on this one.
49. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 389; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
To be honest I think the Razr's ICS is the nearest if not exactly the same as Vanilla...
52. MingLiangChen (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
but still many users are complaining about the UI. I think they hate stock android a lot
53. amancarlos (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 May 2012)
i think motorola and htc too r on the list but haven't yet applied for NFC
59. torr310 (Posts: 288; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Google are laying off Motorola's employees.
There is the possibility that Google just want to acquire Motorola's patents.
100. lauremar (Posts: 180; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
No, Google laid off the team/employees working on the feature phones (flip phone like the razr and the likes) to concentrate more on smart phones... Which makes sense.
68. lauremar (Posts: 180; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Right! I want a Motorola Razr Nexus or simply, Google Nexus!!!
73. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
yeah.... its unfair to motorola....
80. MeoCao (unregistered)
Every Moto's phone now is a Nexus.
3. FrostyDanny (Posts: 90; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)
Omg that sounds awesome! Let's hope Verizon gets its s**t together and actually gets one of these top of the line phones so I can buy it :)
8. JGuinan007 (Posts: 600; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Carriers destroy Nexus devices with bloatware and no updates or 8 months too late look what Verison did to the SGN what a shame
18. GNexus4G (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
Nexus didn't have any bloatware on Verizon. Plus who really needs OTA updates when it takes maybe 2 minutes to root a phone and flash a ROM. My Nexus on Verizon has zero bloatware, and I've been running 4.1 for over a month now with no problems.
35. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
I don't understand why everyone complains about the Verizon Galaxy Nexus not receiving updates. Did anyone actually think Verizon would OTA everything faster JUST because it's a Nexus?
The reason I bought the Nexus is so I didn't have to rely on big red to make decisions for me. When I wanted Jelly Bean, I had it.
That being said I will never buy another Nexus from Verizon but that's more about my data plan than anything....
41. nicholassss (Posts: 344; Member since: 10 May 2012)
I'd buy off contract but somehow verizons GN is twice as much as everyone elses so... I wont be buying one anytime soon.
71. lyndon420 (Posts: 1491; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Aren't Nexus devices supposed to be free from carrier bloatware?
4. Fuego84 (Posts: 244; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Let HTC make a Nexus just don't let them put sense 4 in it, have them keep it stock.
6. JGuinan007 (Posts: 600; Member since: 19 May 2011)
One nexus device from all Android OEMs would be great! but Ithink they all submit a protype to Google who then chooses wich will be the next Nexus
11. FrostyDanny (Posts: 90; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)
They should do that^ but also have a poll showing the public the phones and then we all vote on which one!
19. MingLiangChen (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
due to reputation, some OEMs are gonna get little votes if it is so.
38. MartyK (Posts: 665; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
The best idea of 2012!!!!
FrostyDanny for President!! :)
10. housry23 (Posts: 67; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
I think it's brilliant! I've also heard Google is going to start supporting some phones in AOSP that are not Nexus phones. Imagine going to buy your brand new, shiny Android device. You are an AOSP guy, but the specs on the Nexus are less than desirable. So, you choose the latest and greatest because you know it's supported by AOSP. Take it home, plug it into your computer and fastboot flash the latest AOSP version directly from Google to your device including proprietary drivers. This of course would only be possible if the bootloader is unlocked, so lets hope Google takes back some control over Android and only allows manufacturers to have the latest AOSP code early if they keep their bootloaders unlocked or easily unlockable. Win, win for everyone!
16. skymitch89 (Posts: 972; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I'm thinking that Google might have asked each manufacturer to build a Nexus device, and that Google will only make one of them the official "Next Nexus".
30. kanagadeepan (Posts: 566; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
I don't think so, it may hurt those who tried hard and failed...
But another possibility is Winner is Next Nexus and others as AOSP supported phones... A really Win-Win situation, imho...
17. smallworld (Posts: 369; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony FTW!
21. POLICE (banned) (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
SONY LIKE NO OTHER
SONY WHY COMPROMISE
24. Aeires (unregistered)
I've been using Android since the G1 and never really understood the Nexus concept completely. What is to stop any OEM from making a completely stock Android phone? Nothing really, so is the official Nexus branding something different? I always understood Nexus as meaning "stock," what's the difference?
Seems like every OEM avoids stock Android but all talk about making a Nexus at some point.
27. kanagadeepan (Posts: 566; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Buddy you miss one important point... Nexus devices get Google's love/source at very first.. For eg: Asus got JB code ahead of others due to Nexus7 and so for next big Android version KLP, the Nexus devices will get updated first...
Nexus is NOT only stock Android...
36. Aeires (unregistered)
A simple explanation would have sufficed.
65. N.Reynolds (Posts: 252; Member since: 15 Feb 2011)
That was a simple explanation.... there is a lot he didn't touch base on.
25. kanagadeepan (Posts: 566; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Since HTC is also absent in this list and definitely a worthy partner for a Nexus device, I do hope the list shows onle few of Nexus devices and I hope Nexus X from HTC and Razr Nexus from Motorola...
I want Razr Nexus period...
32. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1807; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
LG's flagship line of devices go by the name Optimus, that's why. Same way Samsung features the Galaxy devices.
57. protozeloz (Posts: 5290; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Well The First Samsung Nexus was The Nexus S
28. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3531; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Why are HTC and Moto not on the list? Between those 2 Nexus are the only one I will probably end up getting. I don't want a Samsung Nexus, or an LG Nexus. Sony is alright, but HTC and Moto are, in speculative reasoning, the overall best choices for a Nexus.
29. plgladio (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
A nexus from anyone, with beast battery I'm okay. :)
31. jamrockjones (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
LG Nexus all the way. LG makes the best displays!
89. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3531; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
But they are horrible with build quality and optimizations...
92. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
We'll see... I'd still be rooting for LG though! LG NEXUS YEAH!
97. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
well a Nexus device doesnt really require optimization on LG's part.. more of Google