Law firm says that Florida might have accidentally banned all smartphones in recent bill
0. phoneArena 09 Jul 2013, 04:05 posted on
Governor Rick Scott of Florida is beginning to get the reputation of a man whose battle cry is "Ready, Fire, Aim." Scott loves nothing more than to give voters the impression that he is taking action against some threat, whether it is real, hyped in his own mind, or imaginary; recently, the governor signed a bill that might have banned smartphones and computers in the state...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. paulyyd (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)
I live in florida and this is just a smoke screen. This law was to ban these illegal gambling rings and small shops that have the "sweepstakes" slots. Trust me the only business these places brought in were just more illegal activity. Drunk fiends, pimps, prostitution. Im happy they shut the one down the street from where I live, it has gotten a lot more quieter around here
4. Allison28 (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 May 2013)
Well said! (I live in Florida also- glad to be rid of those "internet cafes")
13. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 477; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
But you won't be able to call anyone to tell them the good news.
5. Topcat488 (Posts: 1394; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
The whole State should be put in a Nursing Home. Remember Election Day, really their senile.
10. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
That's not really a nice thing to say, one of those so-called senile constituents sadly gave birth to you in their younger years.
23. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Well thank the good Lord [it] wasn't the creature that pushed you out.
12. ibap (Posts: 752; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
And you can't write English. Do you understand capitalization? And "their"? Really? Is there an 'ignore' button on this site?
19. Topcat488 (Posts: 1394; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
That's Right, "Their" Senile! Now Go There And Find Out For Yourself.
6. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Someone should ban this jackass
7. snowgator (Posts: 3558; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Typical. We slam Government for inaction and waste. Then we slam them when they do something.
So a couple of lawyers hack up a bill, obviously reading something into it that the law NEVER intended nor would anyone who was a part of it support if someone tried to misuse the bill, and this slanted piece of journalism just presents a hatchet job?
At least I will give Alan F. this: He isn't trying to hide his bias. At least that is something.
22. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 885; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Laws aren't supposed to be made in knee jerk reactions. That's like me going to work and complaining that I got fired for doing the bare minimum. If you are going to pass a law you have to phrase it in a way that it is intended for for not what it could possibly used for. Lawyers exploit poorly phrased laws so they should be especially careful when drafting a bill.
This type of journalism is necessary and reported the FACTS. If more journalists reported the news and fact checked then we wouldn't have the crap on MSNBC and FOX News where all they do is attack each other with half truths and assumed facts.
27. snowgator (Posts: 3558; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
But this article is an MSNBC, assumed facts, slanted attack. Come on now, you read it. It is a hatchet job based on one report which has no rebuttal.
28. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 885; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
It just talks about the phrasing of law that could be exploited. A ban of a "system or network of devices" that may be used in a game of chance." It literally applies to ANY network of devices including smart phones and computers. The hatchet job is the Bill not the article.
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ummm. I believe the saying goes something like this: Fire, ready, aim.
11. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Hello ..... it's ready, aim, fire!!!!
18. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Not in the context that Alan is referring to - the clusterf*ck of a governor that is the subject of the article.
24. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Oh, in that case, my sincerest and noblest apologies.
9. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I live in Kansas so, please help me understand?? I find this article to contrived and void of many facts. Writer: what is the true goal of the new law and how does it affect free commerce and free speech without infringing upon the rights of others. And, by "others", I don't mean some drunken addict who frequents these so-called Internet Cafes to engage further in illicit activity or some married man who patronizes these establishments to surf kiddie porn??
14. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 867; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Stick to phone news and quit pushing your liberal politics on us all. We don't want to read this crap here. That's what CNN is for.
And if you want to use the word "regime", don't forget to include it in your next Obama article too since that's what he and his cronies are acting like they are.
16. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
How dare you speak ill of our ruler, his supreme majesty, his grand benevolence, Bàrák?? You should be hung and your children left destitute for your treason!! PRISM will find you and you will pay!
21. Topcat488 (Posts: 1394; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
She still MAD about the election results, after all these months. Very disrespectful.
25. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Please, as you might put it, "#%$#%% aint worth my time a' day!!"
26. gjivanstha (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
The tax comfort market has knowledgeable significant change over the past several years. As the economic system complicated and People in america knowledgeable improved financial demands, many people and companies desired comfort from the stress by not paying their taxation.
29. JunitoNH (Posts: 1666; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Floridian are such foolish creatures. They screwed up an election, now they want to do the same to modern devices.