Latest lawsuit accuses new iPad of infringing on 4G patents
0. phoneArena 10 Mar 2012, 11:11 posted on
In the latest filing, ADAPTIX is claiming that Apple’s new iPad infringes on 4G patents owned by the Dallas-based technology company. The case was filed yesterday in the United States Texas Eastern District Court...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. rf1975 (Posts: 247; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
It is too early to call this as a troll. We will wait and see.
8. itiswhatitis (Posts: 422; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
I guess its time apple tastes it own medicine!
14. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
yeah n it sounds good
18. maier9900 (Posts: 272; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
4G patents ??? F***ing stupid... A lot of Companies use the method as Apple. If they have a patent for the way 4g is running on ipad then why arent there patents for wi-fi a/b/g/n routers? and other wireless bs. Next thing we'll find out there's a patent for the way a came zooms in n out. wtf.
20. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3034; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Not as stupid as "slide to unlock". Which they didn't even freaking invent.
Apple started this whole patent trolling nonsense, I have no sympathy for them when they are getting sued for patents. Just like when bullies get bullied, you just sit back and enjoy the karma.
22. maier9900 (Posts: 272; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
You're right, but i have no sympathy for Apple either. I was referring to the 4g patents in general. It is stupid to have patents on any wireless networks... Imagine that.
26. artman5x5 (Posts: 10; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Everybody else asks for permission and pays royalties but Apple thinks it can do what it wants!
2. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Ok this really needs to stop, all these companies need to put on their big boy pants and suck it up
24. cheetah2k (Posts: 844; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." [Matthew 7:12]
Nuff said... Apple deserve every bit of patent intervention because if the roles were reversed, Apple would be going at ADAPTIX like Chuck Norris in a kungfu movie..
25. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Wow dude really, your going to quote the bible?
21. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3034; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
a revolutionary new product....lol
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 12005; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I agree. I'm an apple guy but hey they asked for it.
5. rf1975 (Posts: 247; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Patent Troll mean according to wikipedia - A person or company who buys and enforces patents against one or more alleged infringers in a manner considered by the target or observers as unduly aggressive or opportunistic, often with no intention to further develop, manufacture or market the patented invention.
I do not think Apple will fall in this category.
12. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
When you patent a rectangle and use it to try to ban products, you're a patent troll. End of discussion.
16. remixfa (Posts: 13943; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
very true. Apple is a huge patent troll when it comes to any space they compete in. They buy companies for patents and they use them to try to push out everyone in their space if they are actually violating a patent or not. Lawyers are expensive. Apple thinks they can win by using their massive bankrolls to keep competitors in litigation until they are too poor to continue to fight and back down.
However, even though this move is against apple, it still stinks of pure trolling, which i dont like on a general basis. So as to not be a hippocrit, I dont want Apple patent trolled either.
23. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
I totally agree with you, just because its happening to apple now instead of them being the aggressor still doesn't make it right. This stuff is getting out of hand, there needs to be regulations on companies using patents this way. And also the way things are patented needs to be changed as well, no more broad patents that can be interpreted any way a company wants to.
28. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
ok, not patent troll.. but patent bully.. like it better now?
9. Penny (Posts: 1197; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
I'm kinda afraid to do business in the tech industry going forward.
19. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5876; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Why would you be afraid to do business in the tech industry? The tech industry is characterized by value creation that in large part is based on ideas. Patents are the best way to protect the ideas from being stolen by competitors (even as flawed as they presently are).
Litigation is a cost of doing business. Apple has been able to leverage its pile of cash to intimidate competitors, but things haven't gone Apple's way all of the time. I suspect that in a few years, the patent litigation that Apple has stirred up will be sorted out and it will be time to focus on innovation.
29. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
i just hope that your last sentence would be in a few months and not years.. can't stand this ridiculous patent lawsuits to keep going on..
30. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5876; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Unfortunately (fortunately for the attorneys doing the litigating), patent lawsuits have a life of their own. Getting to a first judgement takes around 24 months in the U.S. (i4i v. Microsoft ran 22 months if memory serves). Then there is the inevitable appeal by the losing party. If a new patent is issued that turns everything on its head (like Google's application for a patent covering the Notification function), things start all over again. And, and, and.
It will only end once the parties suing each other get tired of all the lawsuits. There is a saying - you can get as much justice as you can afford....
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5876; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sauce for the goose (Apple pursuing patent infringement litigation) is sauce for the gander (everyone else suing Apple for patent infringement). Apple - you reap what you sow.
Apple has some friendly patent trolls doing some of its bidding. Acacia is just returning the favor.
11. hutty24 (Posts: 84; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I hate patent trolls they tried to get me for 150,000 for a movie
13. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Movies are copyrighted not patented.
17. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 642; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Squallz506, lol. U made my day. Some ppl r so stupid its not even funny
27. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
you would think after seeing the FBI anti-piracy copyright infringement notice at the begining of every movie more people would understand this.
15. Mandroid (Posts: 209; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
LMAO, couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people LOL