Latest comScore report shows iOS, Windows Phone and Samsung were the big winners in Q3
Taking it on the chin was BlackBerry, whose market share dropped in the third quarter to 3.8% from 4.4% Android's ownership of the market declined from 52% to 51.8% in the quarter. Symbian was flat with .3% of the U.S. smartphone market.
You can't blame Samsung for Android's tepid showing in the quarter. The Korean OEM tacked on 1.2 percentage points from a 23.7% second quarter smartphone market share in the U.S., to 24.9% in quarter three. That still leaves Apple with the largest market share among manufacturers. The Cupertino based tech titan closed the quarter with a 40.6% share, up from 39.9% last quarter. Despite losing 1.4 percentage points sequentially, HTC's 7.1% reading is good enough for third place. Motorola (6.8%) and LG (6.6%) round out the top five.
Latest data from comScore
1. iOS and Windows Phone pick up market share in Q3
2. Samsung has a strong third quarter
source: comScore via AndroidCentral
1. DAddYE (Posts: 48; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Happy for Moto. I wish a day I could see Sony too.
4. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Happy for moto?
They lost market share despite releasing 4 phones (Moto X and 3 more droids).
5. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
And you'll note that this is for Q3, which only includes September in terms of months in which the Moto X and its cousins were sold.
6. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Despite having owned several Sony phones in the past, I don't really like them anymore. They have joined Apple, Microsoft and RIM among the ranks of patent trolls.
7. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2918; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Are you a paid troll? In every single article, if someone says something about Sony, you start sayin those same things...
8. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Really? I don't believe I have ever said anything negative about Sony on this website before...
9. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2918; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Lol. I remember you from MANY posts. Always saying Sony going down.
11. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3556; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
See,, you're always saying something negative.. Just give credit where credit is due, and stop being so threatened, and childishly competitive about technology..
See you on the next WP related article...
12. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3556; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
This guy is a negative, and childish person.. Any article that is WP related, or that mentions anything about WP, he is all over with negative comments.. It's OK if you like Android, but give credit where credit is due and kill the unnecessary BS comments... I guess he got picked on in school or something,, and now he uses his favorite devices, and OS, to bash others, and make himself feel better about who he is.. I hate haters like him who only bring up the negative, and don't have anything positive to say..
13. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
To be supremely fair, Windows Phone can eat a deck.
2. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It'll be interesting to see these numbers after Q4.
10. Dexxter (Posts: 10; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
0.3% still rocking symbian.........is it even considered a smartphone OS?