Latest Apple iPhone 5 speculation; no big change in screen size
0. phoneArena 23 Mar 2012, 16:33 posted on
iMore, which correctly called the date when Apple would announce the third generation of its tablet, has some information about the next Apple iPhone (let's hope that it is given a better name than that); among the new features will be LTE connectivity for Apple's smartphone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. sldjflojdf (Posts: 3; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
oh that sucks but at least now i only have to choice between two devices the htc one x and the sgs 3
38. andro. (Posts: 1986; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
the exact two phones i'll be considering also,The Htc one x is looking extremely good but will have to wait on the sg3 first before a decision can be made! The htc one x i should have my hands on within 3 weeks or so so that'll be first to get a looking over
Looks like the new iphone might have little form changes again,if apple however changes the charging port than ifans the world over will have to buy all new accessories,docking stations,car chargers etc to suit the new smaller charging connector and you can guarantee Apple will have a all these new accessories available to buy with the iphone at launch with nice big price tags on them
53. darkkjedii (Posts: 14734; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well what phone maker wouldn't have em ready? It's when they don't have em ready to buy that bad.
2. buggerrer (Posts: 296; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
not a good move apple! believe me many people would buy the next iPhone if it got a bigger screen .. 3.5 for kids hands!
11. buggerrer (Posts: 296; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
btw, im a Galaxy Nexus owner, and would defintly buy the next iPhone if the screen is between 4" - 4.5"
13. warriorbeats (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Agreed! If thescreen was between 4" - 4.5" i would definately purchase one. I need reasons to stay an Apple customer.
63. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Yeah, well I'm a proud RAZR™ owner and the only way I'd consider an iPhone was if it had a 5.3" screen. Otherwise, it's a G-Note for me.
And, before you say anything, if the RAZR™ had a 5.3" screen I would not consider another phone.
♥ my RAZR but, size matters !!!!
30. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
pretty much the only thing holding me back from an iphone is the screen size. I have an ipod touch and it feels like a toy, I can't imagine using the iphone as my daily phone. 4.6" may be overkill, but I don't see what's wrong with 4-4.3"
54. darkkjedii (Posts: 14734; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Never know, it's jus speculation at this point. I hope they increase it too, but I doubt it would be as bug as 4.5.
69. quakan (Posts: 1266; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
many people will buy it regardless of screen size
3. warriorbeats (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I would honestly be dissapointed!!!! The Screen size of the iphone is the only thing i dislike about the device!!!
18. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Right there with you. I don't buy this rumor...I don't think Apple is blind to the disappointment people had with the last iPhone. It was a great upgrade of the iPhone 4...but there are a lot of people waiting for a brand new iPhone with a larger screen and a big redesign. If Apple doesn't supply it, it will be a huge misstep on their part.
4. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
More speculated rumors without validated concrete evidence.
5. ironmarc89 (Posts: 50; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
Im still takin this with a grain of salt,'
6. wolverinexmen9 (Posts: 96; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
When has apple ever changed the screen size of the iPhone? Just something for PhoneArena to talk about :/
8. warriorbeats (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
They state that in the article, "According to iMove's sources, the display on the next iPhone will be similar if not the same 3.5 inches that it always has been.".
19. warriorbeats (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Lol at who gave this a thumbs down! What was the point? Nothing rude was said. Just posted something from the article.
27. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Warriorbeats, are you really surprised? LOL
29. warriorbeats (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
HAHA good point!! Not surprised at all!!
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 14734; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly what's the point in giving a thumbs down to a nonobjective statement? Lolwowwww... If u had said today is saturday, they woulda given it a thumbs down.
7. hunted (Posts: 391; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
see i told the screen size will not get bigger. Apple come on, you're not in 2007 to change everything again
9. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3050; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Well well well, look at this. Another case of same old crap, different day.
Apple you silly silly fools. That is the number 1 reason why I won't go back to owning an iPhone again. Sure back in 2009 when I had the 3G, I thought it was awesome, but times have changed. I tried using an iphone at a best buy store, doesn't matter how sharp the screen resolution is when you can only see a small part of the webpage.
10. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Apple secret no body know until the phone is in stores.
17. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1702; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
actually people know at least a week before it's in stores when Apple officially announces, nice try though
12. Immolate (Posts: 296; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
"10. som posted on 4 min ago
Apple secret no body know until the phone is in stores."
Except some guy in a bar.
14. sgtdisturbed47 (Posts: 209; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Lots of phones with huge screens, and all of them come with the complaint of low battery life. Smaller screen = better battery life, lighter weight because it doesn't need a huge battery, and smaller phone size for easier pocket carry. The way I see it, if you want a phone with excellent portability, then a smaller screen is inevitable. If you want a tablet, go get a tablet. I say let Apple make smaller screens.
21. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3050; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
ok sgtdumbie you clearly have no idea what you are talking about lol.
Bigger battery = better battery life. The Droid Maxx got a huge battery and it can last you 2 days without charging it. Despite it having a 4.3 inch display. The Galaxy Note can also last a full day and that big boy has a 5.3 inch display.
Look at the original Droid, only 3.7, barely bigger than the iphone and god bless it's soul it had pretty crappy battery life. The move to larger displays also mean larger device, thus giving them the chance to put in a larger battery.
26. hutty24 (Posts: 84; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Dude you don't no what your saying my galaxy nexus use 67% of my battery bigger screen more battery use
28. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3050; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
lol and how long does it actually last you? My Galaxy Nexus lasts me a whole work day of 8 hours and 3 hours later when I get home. Depends on how much you use it, brightness settings, yada yada yada. The point I was trying to make is the bigger the battery the longer your device can last. So "dude" I do know what I'm talking about.
24. qxavierus (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Lighter - yes, but bigger screen usually means bigger battery, hence better battery life :)
64. ZayZay (Posts: 571; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
So when the iphone weighs 4.9 oz and the galaxy s2 weighs 4.3 oz the iphone weighs less? Wasn't aware more was less these days. Must be opposite day, or better yet you speak without knowing day. Yeah that's the one.
15. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Just because the the larger screen may not be for the iPhone 5 does not mean there won't be a larger screened device. The speculated 4.6" screens could be for an updated iPod Touch. It's about time for an iPod Touch revision too. Apple owes every bit as much of their success to the iPod as it does to Steve Jobs, Jony Ives, iTunes, or iOS but they've let it stagnate for a while.
I'm pretty much staunchly on the side of Android as my mobile OS choice and even I'm willing to say that it's really the iPod Touch that is the greatest device (so far) of the 21st century. At least the greatest of the twenty-ought years. Screw the iPhone and iPad. One is an iPod with a cell radio and the other is just an extra large iPod. Apple is reportedly working on VoIP protocols with carriers after all...
A carrier agnostic, no contract, VoIP-capable "New" iPod Touch could be a serious beast. Imagine the personal media consumption possibilities.
I'd snatch one up, and most likely jailbreak it.
23. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
And just too reiterate that I have no love for Apple... a joke for you:
Q. What did the Chinese manufacturer tell Apple about each of their employees in order to seal the labor contract?
A. It just works.
33. drtech (banned) (Posts: 135; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Why do you have to reiterate you have no love for Apple. The fandroid idiocy on this site is crazy.
Btw iPod was designed by Steve Jobs, Jon Ivy and the crew.
34. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Wow... lighten up. I promise you tomorrow will be a brighter day. Well, maybe not for you, but somewhere a child will smile - and you'll still perceive it to be at your expense somehow.
39. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
But, to address your 'statement', think about this: How many teeny boppers that had to have iPods on their holiday wishlist and/or made Mom & Dad go buy them one because they absolutely had to have it even knew who Steve Jobs or Jony Ives were? How many knew what the difference was between Apple and other pc vendors?
Yes, the iPod may have been designed by the crew, as you put it, but the iPod took on a life of it's own.
Who gets remembered, Dr. Frankenstein or Frankenstein's monster?
31. downphoenix (Posts: 2687; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
true but there isnt nearly as much profit in the Ipod Touch line as the Iphone/Ipad line. Unless Apple is to charge more for the new generation perhaps, but given how smartphones have more or less took over the PMP market, its doubtful.
32. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I suppose so. You know, it's a shame that some of the best ideas have to be shuttered simply because they won't work. :-(
16. T12RYK (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
If there isn't a bigger screen on the next iPhone I'll be going back to HTC despite their bad battery life. Using a 3.5' screen is to small these days, its makes the iPhone look really old and outdated (that's iOS's job)
20. drtech (banned) (Posts: 135; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
This is just a rumor. We just had one that said 4.6 inch. No one really knows right now. Personally a 4 inch screen would do for me. I don't like the trend of new super huge phones. Saying that I have an iPhone now and it works fine for me. I do most of my web browsing on tablets and PC's.
56. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I can read the bitter disappointment behind your comment.
How dare apple disappoint a faithful isheeep like you? No way! huh?
22. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
3.5", 4,0", 4.6" inch screens.. it doesnt matter what apple does to the phone.. ish33p will buy it.. Next iphone will prob have LTE, faster processor, and maybe newer ios.. those will be the selling points of the new iphone... We all now how apple does it
25. hornetmx (Posts: 71; Member since: 12 Mar 2010)
Man, people will buy the dorn thing even if they go back to the original ipod look with no digital screen and just the cranker and rocker keys!
36. -box- (Posts: 3960; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Apple should join other OEMs in using MicroUSB the standard for charging and cable data... proprietary chargers are baloney
37. sheepygalaxy (Posts: 68; Member since: 10 Mar 2012)
speculation speculation speculation but no matter what rubbish they release ipeople will always buy.Apple are smart they known this now for the last couple of years doesn't matter what the product is
41. ironmarc89 (Posts: 50; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
To keep from fragmenting the platform with diff screen resolutions, Im assuming that they will keep it the same with a thin screen bezel to give the illusion of a bigger screen
42. Leon101 (Posts: 90; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
BUMMER i was actually looking forward to this phone but i guess "HTC ONE S here i come"!!!
61. darkkjedii (Posts: 14734; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
U act like its already out bro. It's just a rumor, give it a little time.
71. Fallout09 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
why sell yourself short with the S? X is where it is at
43. anonex1 (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
As so many have already said, this has made me decide not to wait for the iphone5 and go ahead and upgrade from my HTC Inspire when my upgrade hits in July.
Now to choose to stick with HTC, or go with a Note or Galaxy S3...
44. greenrolaids (Posts: 49; Member since: 04 Feb 2012)
i was willing to wait for an iPhone 5 if it came with a biggerscreen. but using a 4.3 phonefor a whileand now when i use mywifes iPhone it feels like a tiny toy. once u get used to thelarger screens u will find ithard to surf orgame on an itsy bitsy screen.
HTC one x I'm now waiting for you.
plus i wont have to ever touch iTunes again.
45. shakaro (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
I prefer an IPhone with 4" or larger screen. I 've never bought one before cause I hate its 3.5" screen. It's too small for me
46. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3050; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Honestly, I can see the next iPhone only getting an upgrade with LTE. While Apple will say its "revolutionary" and how that "changes everything again" it's a load of crap in reality. Apple has been extremely lazy lately and has given me no reason to switch back. I have been waiting years for them to jump back into the spotlight. Not with clever commericals and hype but with a truely revolutionary device like the iPhone 3G once was.
47. cellphonator (Posts: 298; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
Let them go small again, it will be very interesting to see how the majority of the upgrading customers will react. Who knows, there could be surprises in one way or the other.
48. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3050; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Sadly, if it has the Apple logo on it, it's going to sell. A piece of turd for example.
50. Astreo (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 May 2011)
welll...if they dont have a bigger screen im not sticking with them.