LIVE: Nokia's MWC 2013 press-conference
0. phoneArena 25 Feb 2013, 01:27 posted on
Nokia is back here at MWC with a press-conference where we expect the manufacturer to unveil some quite intriguing devices. Last year, Nokia introduced the innovative 808 PureView and Lumia 620 to the world, and this year we're once again looking forward to a new camera breakthrough. Sure, the Nokia Lumia 920 already has that beautiful 8MP PureView Phase II camera, but we all know that's still light-years away from the quality of the good-old 808, and that's what we're all hoping to see here at MWC - the real PureView and Windows Phone in a single device...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
6. ABDULGHAFOOR (Posts: 104; Member since: 04 May 2012)
12. Hemoroid (Posts: 72; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Why all this talk about Nokia all the time?? Nokia is just copying Sammy and you know it.
Please phonearena Im tired reading all this nokiastories!
This i the third already today!
15. bon24x7 (Posts: 206; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
"Nokia is just copying Sammy and you know it." -- proof please...
30. lolol (Posts: 64; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)
DO you even know what Nokia and samsung are? lol, get a life.
39. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
You got that backwards, hemorrhoid.
46. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1228; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
And they just did. I'm really not happy with Nokia. They only announced boring, low end stuff.
7. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
A Windows phone with a 12-13 MP PureView camera with enhanced OIS and some other nice features is what I'm hoping for, maybe a tablet as well. I really don't want that huge sensor of the 808 on a WP, it's just ugly and makes the phone a brick.
40. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
What if we could have both? lol
9. askbingask (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
nokia to launch only 4 phone and they r anounced that means no eos
but yesssss new nokia os
10. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
wow, goose bumps all over me. 520.......1000
13. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 973; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I'm more impressed by the ultra cheap yet highly functional Asha phones in this press event than the rather average Lumias. Nice work Nokia.
14. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
stupid nokia, waited eagerly for catwalk. go to hell
19. eanpreou (Posts: 19; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
come to think of it it really doesn't make any sense to announce a new flagship when your current flagship was announced roughly 4 months ago and is not even accessible to most parts the of the world.
26. paintertech (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
It worked for Samsung with the Note 2 after the s3.
27. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
thats a different story even if samsung make a crap junk and half the planet will buy it but nokia have to give a perfect phone even once a year
samsung is walking on its fame and adding more dual>quad cores and bigger screens not something that actually matters they can release anything 4 times a year with only new processor + bigger screen nothing else its not a big deal
nokia walks with new tech and stuff in R&D which takes time
32. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
WELL IT WORKED, end of story. Whats the use of having an advanced tech and not implementing it. Sammy is crap, but atleast they listen to their customers. Nokia is arrogant, they never care about their customers like me. Even after all this i am still nokia fan[a company before ELOP]
47. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
rofl sam listen to customers more like top end only tell me any decent mid range phone worth buying with high techs
and nokia have implemented all the good stuff not making a buz and sucky phones
16. raunak (Posts: 507; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
i started thinking, when they metioned 920 more than two times that they do not have a flagship to launch.
i mean, you mention your old flagship only to compare it to your new flagship and show improvements but nokia mentioned 920's camera elements and compared it to 720's, which meant 920 is still their flagship.
even nokia can disappoint.
20. eanpreou (Posts: 19; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
well blame all the rumors for the false hopes.
28. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
agreed rumors are only spoilers and only getting people more demanding but all the leaks there were no catwalk or any high end phone screen shots either
41. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
They may be waiting for a later launch in the year to iron out any issues, and/or to stomp on the S IV when it is announced. The 920 hasn't even been on the market for 5 months yet.
Also, perhaps they learned their lesson not to announce a phone months before its release, and to do what Samsung and apple do, announce it and put it on sale almost immediately to increase perceived demand and excitement.
17. eanpreou (Posts: 19; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
I knew there wasn't any catwalk, EOS nor laser coming. Well I'm still eagerly waiting for the hands on for 520 and 720.
33. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
ha ha, admit it. you was eager to hear EOS!!!!!
43. eanpreou (Posts: 19; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
who wouldn't be eager with a windows phone with 41 mpx sensor?? Its just that I had an ominous feeling about it but I was still hopeful. Well I'm as disappointed as you are, but good thing 520 and 720 were there to ease the pain somehow. AHAHAH
18. SIGPRO (Posts: 1192; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
They introduced only lowend and midrange phones, were are the highend phones?
WTF i am really disappointed, what about the rumored Nokia Laser and EOS?
21. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
me too, total disappointment. Typical stupid elop. may be nokia and windows can develop a new app for their fans [inc me] dis"APP"ointment
29. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
why going crzy dont believe rumors blindly :P u always end up disapointed besdies nokia flagship always comes in September to november not march
22. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
total disappointment. Typical stupid elop. may be nokia and windows can develop a new app for their fans [inc me] dis"APP"ointment
23. Amro_ (Posts: 12; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Seriously.. Did someone really expect a new high-end Lumia only four months after the launch of Lumia 920? Why would Nokia hurt the sales of their current high-end model by announcing a new high-end? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Why would they make their four months old phone obsolete by announcing a newer and better phone?
You shouldn't believe all the rumors that you read on the internet
24. paintertech (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Yeah because the Note 2 really hurt the sales of the s3, right?
25. paintertech (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
This was a huge disappoint. No announcement of a high-end Lumia device. The 920 is going to seem like small potatoes after the MWC is done with this week. All the quad-core 1080p superphones will make the 920 seem like last year's news.
I was really hoping for some good news on the windows 8 front with Nokia, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
31. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Quite the disappointment. I guess I won't be upgrading my GS III to a L1010 any time soon. More importantly, it seems that Nokia is doubling down on its sales strategy of don't release anything of consequence for VZW. Way to go Failop.
At least Sammy won't disappoint with the GS IV - the leaks are already confirming a worthy replacement to the GS III. Only question now is how quickly does the IV get KLP?
35. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
i dont like sammy, but you are right, they always keep their product well advanced and prompt on time. So sad
44. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Only to those who follow only specs.
That said, I, too, was really hoping for Nokia to lay the smackdown on HTC with a new PureView model, but I'm not upgrade eligible for a while (still rocking the Lumia 900), so I'm OK waiting for them to get the best device developed and launched in the meantime that they can
36. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
So sad. Nokia ruled by a stupid CEO. It like a caveman driving a Bugatti veyron
37. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
More like a caveman riding a motorcycle. If Nokia had released a new flagship L series with a 41Mp camera on VZW, we could debate whether the new phone was a Veyron or Ferrari.
This is a total fail. He should change his name to Failop.
38. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
It may be that such a product isn't yet ready for "primetime". The 808 PureView took YEARS of development, and is still being tweaked, and Nokia has only been on the Windows Phone train for a short while, and Symbian doesn't translate directly to Windows Phone, especially with the changeover from 7.5/7.8 to 8.
48. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
cant accept it buddy!!!! If they cant even tweak according to the market, whats the use of having such a big company with huge resources?
45. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
I think what is interesting is how these two new devices compare with the just-released 620:http://www.phonearena.com/phon
- the 520 has a larger screen and is taller and wider, but lighter and thinner. It lacks a flash for the camera, so a potential customer choosing between the two would be faced with spending more to get a smaller device with a flash, or a larger one without one, or spending even more for a 720 (or 820).
- the 720 is definitely a slight bump over the 620 in every typical comparison, except onboard memory and RAM.