LG's price for the Nexus 4 to be twice as expensive as Google's
0. phoneArena 05 Nov 2012, 02:29 posted on
Some troubling reports are starting to appear, warning us that the LG Nexus 4's price may differ greatly, depending on where you purchase it from...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. WinC76 (unregistered)
Man, I was thinking of getting this but now I'm not to sure if I should if they're going to increase the prices at retailers.
It costs $400 to get the 16 GB from Google Play here and if retailers are going to sell it at a higher price, it will be around $700-800 like every other new phone.
5. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Nexus 4 is just for your homeplace, why:
1) you can not replace battery when you use it on vacation (photos, videos, navigation, guide, internet - Ive already tested that 2 batteries are enough for a whole day power (one in my wallet), but never with just 1 battery!!)
2) do not have much space, just 16 GB for photos, videos, navigation??? what the hell!
3) no string handle, so you destroy it very very fast on your vacation :)
4) easily cracking back glass - again not for a vacation
so Ive just bought Galaxy Nexus for lower price :)
14. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1389; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
It seems that at least in the non-replaceable battery you are partially wrong:
19. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no, Im right:
just try it to replace on the fly with a screwdriver on vacation :-D
24. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1389; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Don't you go with your toolbox on vacation?
Just joking ;-)
That's why I said you were "partially" wrong, as you said that you can't replace the battery.
44. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
and it seems to be the wrong device FOR HIM! lol this is only 300 dollars for alot of people so if you're one of those people, then complaining shouldnt be something you're doing lol
18. tango_charlie (Posts: 176; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
LOL. This one way to handle cognitive dissonance. Why on earth would anybody buy the Galaxy Nexus IF you get the Nexus 4 for the same price?
1) Have you ever heard of "external batteries"? Some of those will charge your phone 3-4 times!!!
(BTW: You can replace the battery if you really want. There are just 2 screws between you and the battery. Just in case your battery loses some capacity after month/years)
2) The GNEX has the same amount of storage (except Verizon). But since the Nexus 4 supports usb host mode you can easily connect an external storage/flash drive to it. There is even an app for that allready in the Play Store ("Nexus Media Importer") which allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus!!
3) ??? Are you serious? Dude, just get a protective case or a bag!
4) kinda agree here, but I never use my phones without cases, so I'm fine with that. And since the back plate is changeable, it shouldn't be a problem to find other one from third party suppliers on ebay.
20. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
1) extrenal battery with a size like a phone? are you kidding? :-D
2) ok, with 16 GB I will try to survive
3) ok, so when it falls down 100 meters it is ok for you with a protective bag? :-D :-D :-D
I want to be sure the string holds firmly and do not want to have 2 times bigger phone
28. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
No phone can survive a 100 meter fall. Where do you go for vacations? In the clouds? And people who love their phones can protect their phones from anything! You think galaxy nexus takes better pics than nexus 4? Anywherehome is crazy.
30. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
yes, but with a string it will not fall :)
45. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
29. akhilesh910 (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
So u want your phone to survive after a 100 meter-fall ? Go for Nokia 1100
34. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
with a string it does not fall when taking photo from a window.....do you get it now? :)
43. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Here's a poll for everyone- do you buy phones for a) vacation or b) for specs and style? Why don't you just get a moto defy
47. troutsy (Posts: 296; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Mind you, the dude is European so he's on vacation 3 months out of the year.
His decision process for buying a phone is valid, it just doesn't make sense to the majority of users on this forum.
62. vijaysivakula (Posts: 195; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
am sure everyone got it. you take pictures leaning out of the window of the latest boeing / airbus. too bad the concordes are decommissioned.
6. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1174; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
LG Nexus 4 is good but its not THAT good! I can always pick up the NOTE 2 in its place...I was just holding off till Nexus launch and they dont sell it throught he Google Play Store in my region as well.
I think all the hot hype has gone up LG's a$$ and now its pouring out...one of the reasons LG has never made it big into the mobile league in spite of having some awesome hardware and being the first to introduce a lot of new stuff.
I mean I can grab a Note 2 in my region for lesser than $700 which I dont think the LG Nexus 4 beats anyhow
21. tango_charlie (Posts: 176; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
700 USD for the Note 2? For the same price you would get the Nexus 4 + the 3G Nexus 7 (32GB). I would be pissed too if I had to pay twice the price for N4.
36. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1174; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
yeah but you would get both the Nexus devices for $700 only if you are in the counntries in which they sell devices through the Play Store.
Sadly no middle eastern country is included so basically we may have to pay close to $700 for the Nexus 4 itself which'll be a bad bargain compared to the Note 2
70. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1174; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
of course! I live in bahrain by the way...it hit stores hardly within a week of its official launch and the Note series sells like crazy here :)
37. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
this is EXACTLY what happen on my country, LG sells it for 550 bucks ! MOVE ME TO THE STATES RIGHT f**kING NOW
59. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
what is google doing?
phones should be sold at cheaper prices in countries where there aren't any locked phones........and google isn't selling cheap phones in such countries
and in countries where locked phones are dominant, the cheaper phones should be given for free under a 2 year contract through all the carriers because people won't be interested in unlocked phones in such countries
and last but not the least, the smartphone should have lte in countries where lte is available because even if the phone is fast without lte, people will never be convinced....you need lte atleast for marketing
2. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Certainly not a good news... no google play store here in India. Though I can see Nexus 4 (8GB) listed on eBay for pre-order @ $430, not too bad. It'll be imported from US.
8. VJo003 (Posts: 351; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
But will u get Google updates if u import the phone??
13. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1389; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I have an imported Nexus and it gets the updates without issue.
So I would expect the same behaviour regardless which two countries you are talking about.
38. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
So do i mate...so do i, this phone sells for 550 bucks in my country (indonesia) shame on you lg....shame on you
i think lg is becoming an apple
42. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
now apple products are expensive everywhere.......on the other hand, the lg is selling a cheap phone for higher prices in some countries, its cheap.. the camera, display,build quality, benchmark performance etc aren't really good....it was a really good phone for $300 but if its priced at $600, then its just the worst phone you can get at that price.....you just can't buy a $300 phone from a company without any brand recognition for more than $600 can you? and you don't even get the play store in that overpriced cheap phone and it won't be recognized as google's phone either because its sold by lg and the play store will also be missing in the handset.....
50. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i've never understood why google choose lg over SONY (they have a great design and build quality) or motorola, LG SUCKS!!! WHERE'S ICS FOR o2X ??!! WHERE ?
LG = #2 APPLE
55. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
they have chose lg over sony because they wanted to make a cheap phone........sony phones have better quality and sony products are usually more expensive.......expensive laptops, expensive TVs , etc etc
41. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
i don't know why google isn't interested in india, there isn't a play store, the nexus devices never come to india....and google now doesn't work in india........
now there is a reason why nokia is so popular in india......
49. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Because google underestimate india ! google though india's citizens are poor !
56. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
aircel was the first indian carrier to bring the iphone 4s to india last year......their website crashed within a couple of hours and all the iphones that they have bought to india were already sold.....and those iphones were priced over $1000
indians spend thousands and thousands of dollars on buying gold every year....calling indian citizens poor isn't justified because the number of rich people in india(including the black money) outnumber the number of people living in usa and england combined
On the other hand, google makes money from ads, so it doesn't matter whether you are rich or poor and the nexus devices should be sold at cheaper rates if they think that indians don't spend much, not at double the price through lg
and the other nexus products never came to india at all..
58. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
But it's still a developing country isnt it ?
60. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
if its a developing country, then the phone should be sold at cheaper price....because indians will never buy lg phone for such a huge price tag....they would prefer an iphone/galaxy to the nexus 4
71. ajnxs4androd (Posts: 8; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Absolutely Right. I live in India too and almost all devices are more expensive in India (except for those manufactured by Indian Brands) like Samsung, Apple, Sony, Motorola, LG, etc. So we are a big loss anyways and with this price hike it will be a total disaster as no one will buy such an expensive device. They should keep it under 25k INR (or 456$) for it to be a big hit. Else it's a big no from me.
74. techspace (Posts: 938; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
8gb nexus 4 is available for 23,500(16,500 in usa) on ebay india
16gb version is available for 27,500(19,000 in usa)
the price is much higher in india, there isn't a memory card slot and we don't get a headset with the phone...
the indian version could be more expensive, the phones available on ebay are actually imported from the US
75. ajnxs4androd (Posts: 8; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Yeah. I did check the E-Bay Price and it seemed reasonable. Also check some other websites, I saw it on Pre-Order on those websites. But what I really was expecting was that the price should be consistent with the Google Price. As NEXUS is renowned for it's pricing aspect the most along with killer specs. So if this aspect is taken away, then it's definitely not worth it to buy this phone. So if the price is not consistent or at-least similar to the Google pricing then it' definitely not worth it.
77. sidswami (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
Hey guys, I import phones from the US (not a merchant) as a hobby so if you guys are looking for any phone including Nexus4, drop me a note. I can source you at a lesser (marginally lesser, may be a 1000 less) price than ebay india.
Do note you can not directly compare the $300 value, price in USA is $335 ($299 + shipping $13.99 + Tax $21.39). On top of this includes international shipment and import duty. So the price on eBay India is justified not a robbery by any means. Even still if you would like it for a 1000 lesser, I can source you, drop a note at email@example.com
78. sidswami (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
And yes, I did manage to order a 8GB version before the stocks went out, which is good :) but the bad news is my order has been put on backorder and is expected to ship within the next 3 weeks :(
3. mydi.maus (unregistered)
this is my nex nexus..hopefully Google play doesnt raise their price.if they do i'm changing course..
7. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 416; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I will still buy the Nexus 4... in 2 years..
9. Retro-touch (Posts: 268; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Good thing if you know someone in those countries so you can save yourself getting shafted with those prices
22. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Yeah I have relatives in USA
11. lonestrider (Posts: 88; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
I'm really excited with Google's the pricing...
If LG really sell it as twice as Google's pricing, maybe I'll just buy Galaxy Nexus, or XiaoMi Mi-Two...
12. bloodline (Posts: 704; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
This isnt googles fault.
Uk buyer, eagerly waiting release !!!
Whenever I read a Ray.S post always imagine him caressing and rubbing his iphone, ipod, ipad 3 and mini, i mac such a fanboy
16. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2028; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
If anything, I'll get the AT&T version, (sd card, LTE)
17. mydi.maus (unregistered)
nexus4 you know lumia,gsIII,Iph5 doesnt come close,their no good out there,..soo please dont be coming out w/a $500. dollar price tag around your neck.
23. weedl (Posts: 50; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
lg you take to much profit , it should be $320 - $ 350 outside USA !!
27. richardhanooman (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
If anyone needs the phones at a cheaper price from the USA; I'll buy it here and ship it to you. I'm still deciding how much you send to me so I don't lose money. Just email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
31. stream5511 (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
We in SIngapore and Malaysia are already been victim of price mark up with nexus 7. we dont have access here for Google play store, and need to pay much more to get from Asus.
35. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
really hate that playstore is just available in the first world countries!
33. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
lol no!! 8gb and 16gb only?! for EUR 599?! WHAT A JOKE!!!! and no LTE (not that all countries needed it coz LTE is still not worldwide, but android lovers of the US will)
better be wise! better buy s3, oneX 9if you love android) or better yet lumia 920!
39. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
wow, im really surprised to see you again, my old friend xD i though you have been banned ;)
lol no ! small screen and 1ghz single core processor ! small battery ! for 550 bucks ? (you surely know what im talking about)
please note it is only applied in developing countries which has no google play store, especially in asia...google sells it for mere 349, it's still better than those berries
40. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i wish i could move to us right now :( you all who was born in us are very lucky