LG video makes you wonder which came first, OIS or the egg
0. phoneArena 28 Sep 2013, 16:37 posted on
Dave the cameraman is a long time veteran of the craft; he is always looking for the "Holy Grail," which for him is a way to get a steady shot. He discovered that by affixing a camera to a chicken, he can get a steady shot. Yeah, this is all make believe of course, but LG does have a point to this rather odd promotional video. If you haven't figured it out yet, you will have to wait to view the entire clip...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Odd that Sammy and Apple don't have OIS on their flagship phones.
Maybe next year.
5. tech2 (Posts: 2976; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yet for some strange reason 5s produces less shaky videos than HTC One's OIS. Just saying :/
8. papss (unregistered)
Regardless of that, the note 3 should have it period.
12. Astoni (Posts: 623; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Maybe because it crops out 40% of the video so it dosn't look shaky..., no offence but its is very very very Obvious and you can easily see that HTC's viewing-angle is about 30%- to almost 2x the size.
16. hhhxxx (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Sep 2013)
HTC only has a 2-axis OIS as opposed to 3-axis (like other phones), so it cannot handle roll motion. See youtu.be/EXDhFOrH33s
26. tech2 (Posts: 2976; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yup that's probably what it is then. Thanks for the explanation. +1
9. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 955; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Since they can do equally good job with software stabilization no need for it. HTC ONE has proved that OIS isnt all that great compared to iphone 5S/S4. It leaves them more space for other things in the phone and maybe its not a big priority for them since competition isnt ahead of them.
10. brrunopt (Posts: 687; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
just because one phone's OIS is sh*t doens't mean all OIS are sh*t
14. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 955; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Never said that, I just said the competition OIS isnt so good that they(apple, samsung) have to add it too, so they use software which in many cases is equal and in few little bit below. If you are talking about lumia 1020 OIS thats no competition for Samsung and apple since 1020 sale numbers and WP8 percentage doesn't make it a strong competitor for giants. Same goes for ONE. When apple add OIS on iPhone or Samsung on galaxy S5/6 or whatever then the other one will add it too. Until then they are doing well with just the software. Plus no average user needs OIS to produce Hollywood shots. Phone 5S software stabilization is actually great. Also S4 is good too.
11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Something or someone is always ahead of the game if 'they' manage to produce a result that is better than the rest.
I don't believe software stabilization can be similar or better than optical stabilization without compromising on the quality of the video.
28. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Its not possible to 'do equally good job' with software. Once there is blur in the pixels, you'll never get that sharpness back. Sure you can throw away part of the image to have the shot stable on a macro level, but its not the same thing at all.
2. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
oh LG... with that kind of ads, no wonder you never gonna be able to surpass (or at least at the same level as) samsung or apple...
27. ghaniosman (Posts: 69; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
The original Mercedes ad from which lg has copied..
7. papss (unregistered)
For the first time I tested out the G2 and I was surprised by how solid it actually felt. They did a great job on the phone.
15. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 955; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Its amazing what they did with the phone. I just wish the back of the phone was more appealing to the eye cause for many people it looks ugly even compared to S4.
18. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I’m sure those “many people” is samsung fanboys.
23. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Looks better than the S3/S4 IMO, also it beats them in pretty much every way besides micro sd/removable battery.
17. twens (Posts: 849; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I just got my note 3 . everything about the phone is amazing but with ois it would have been perfect. All the same Sammy did a good job. G2 is the best Android phone,note 3 is the best phablet period!!
19. Rongocook (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 Sep 2013)
The screen size on this phone size is perfect!
20. Taters (Posts: 4633; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Nokia, Sony, and LG are doing it wrong. No one really gives a crap about OIS or 41mp as long as the pictures turn out good enough, especially not at the expense of an ugly camera hump or giant brick level size like the Nokia 920 or Xperia Z1.
The 3 main things is as compact as possible without sacrificing screen size. LG almost got it right but made the screen a little too big.
21. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Meh they managed to fit a 5.2" screen and barley be bigger than an S4.
22. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Yeah thats why apple is sooo.. succesful even without floading the market.
25. Trex95 (Posts: 681; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I bought the G2 couple of days a go. To be honest the camera isn't that great at night shoot or video.