LG lifts the veil over its True HD IPS display, says it's better than AMOLED
The display has 720x1280 pixels crammed in the 4.5" diagonal size, which gives it 329ppi pixel density, making it the first retail handset to beat the Apple iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S Retina Display in that respect. Moreover, this stunning display resolution is achieved with a regular RGB matrix, not the PenTile arrangement of Samsung's HD Super AMOLED displays, and LG is quick to point that out calling it "True HD".
Super AMOLED Plus on the Samsung Galaxy S II, and found out it beats it in color accuracy and power consumption.
It was not specified whether the power consumption was measured showing mostly white background, like in a website, a scenario where AMOLEDs lag in power consumption, and also the screen reflectance ratio was not measured, which is as important for sunlight visibility as brightness. Looking at the vivid, oversaturated colors AMOLEDs have, one can't argue with the color accuracy part, though. The study does say that power consumption was measured at the maximum brightness level of 600 nits, which is a bit disappointing, since that's peak brightness most current IPS-LCD phones already have, except for the luminous Nokia 701 with its 1000 nits.
The True HD IPS screen is a beauty, and LG rightfully notes that in the era of LTE, media and news will start being consumed mainly via our mobile devices, so a high-resolution display will become the thing to have on your phone, along with a larger screen.
True HD IPS display made its world debut on the new Optimus LTE Smartphone in Seoul, Korea, where both the phone and display set a new standard for best-in-class resolution on a 4G connected device. The new smartphone’s 4.5–inch True HD IPS display, developed in close collaboration with sister company LG Display, offers advanced resolution, brightness and clarity and shows colors in their most natural tones, as they were meant to be seen.
In a report recently issued by international product testing and certification agency Intertek, IPS displays perform better than AMOLED in areas of color accuracy, brightness, battery efficiency and performance.
According to LG, True HD IPS display takes the viewing experience on mobile handsets to the next level by offering:
· More information at a glance with genuine 1280 x 720 HD resolution and 16:9 screen viewing without distortion, which are the same standards used in the television industry;
· Sharper and crisper text thanks to 329 ppi real RGB resolution;
· True natural colors that are the most comfortable to eyes;
· Automatic color adjustments applied by LG’s exclusive Mobile HD Graphic Engine;
· HD Movie Editor to create personalized HD videos quickly and easily.
“Since mobile devices are widely expected to become the main platform for media consumption in the LTE era, high resolution displays on smartphones will be even more necessary”, said Dr. Jong-seok Park, President and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “Optimus LTE with True HD IPS display will usher in a new standard by enabling users to enjoy beautiful and detailed high definition content even while on the go.”
# # #
1. nonapplepolisher (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 05:10 9 1
Ok, that gal looks better than SuperAmoled. Period :P
3. lubba posted on 10 Oct 2011, 05:27 7 0
Honestly when initially looked at this article, the girl caught my eye first. Lolz!!!
10. Alex (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 07:04 5 0
She is actress in South Korea. LOL
11. remixfa posted on 10 Oct 2011, 08:04 7 2
14. lubba posted on 10 Oct 2011, 08:07 3 0
You got it! Makes me wanna lubba lubba. Lolzz
15. lubba posted on 10 Oct 2011, 08:11 2 0
If i thumb u down, sorry by accident. Meant up.
17. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 10 Oct 2011, 09:08 1 0
Don't worry remixfa I got you! I will thumb you up! lol
I have done that a couple of times.
This screen is beast, RGB IS the way to go. I really want one of those HD screens. Hubba, hubba is right! lol Thumbs up for all! :-)
20. remixfa posted on 10 Oct 2011, 11:37 3 0
oh.. there was a new screen in the photo too?? :)
28. corporateJP posted on 10 Oct 2011, 18:49 1 2
She looks mad young.
But, sadly, she's probably like 29 or 30.
30. remixfa posted on 10 Oct 2011, 19:38 2 0
how is that sad??? lol. i see no reason to be sad about a girl that is 30 and looks like she is 20. that would make me quite happy actually. Get the looks AND the life experience. :)
2. zemig (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 05:10 0 4
By my calculations it still dosen t beat the iphone retina display wich has 330dpi against 326,3 dpi of this phone and not 329 as was mentioned on this article..
5. Daniel.P posted on 10 Oct 2011, 05:43 5 0
Apple itself quotes the Retina Display as 326ppi, and LG says 329ppi in the press release. The difference with your calculation is because of number rounding - i.e. the iPhone screen is ~3.54" (rounded to 3.5") while the LG one is probably ~4.456" (rounded to 4.5").
9. zemig (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 06:51 0 0
Thank you for the clarification;) now that makes sense..
32. Debbie (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 22:03 0 0
That is great screens are getting higher in res, but can this LG display give you the color that a super amoled gives. That is blacks as black and not washed out grey...etc, after getting my first super amoled with the epic I don't think I can ever go back to any phone that does not have a super amoled screen.
35. ToneDef posted on 11 Oct 2011, 03:48 0 0
Debbie, I have to agree with you here. AMOLED is not for you if you want your phone to show true-to-life colours. For me,it is that vivid eye-popping eye candy that keeps me glued to my ol' faithful SGS. Every advance in screen tech (by any company) is to be lauded as it moves us all forward.
4. HarryKeh posted on 10 Oct 2011, 05:30 3 0
Get serious man ... Whats the point here ? The important thing is that this is a retina hd display and not 5 dpis difference ...
6. lalal (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 05:54 2 5
Honestly, what's good in there? LG may have a good display but what's the use of it if they have a ugly UI?
7. droidnator posted on 10 Oct 2011, 06:10 4 2
Since when do LG have a ugly UI? You got confused there pal, we are not talking about Samsung and their TouchWiz.
Optimus UI is pretty cool and somewhat innovative! Just a simple example - the weather widget, that was first introduced with LG Optimus 2X! Now it has quite a few clones in the Market! Not to mention the widget grid and adding widgets on the homescreens...
In my opinion LG is the most misjudged phone manufacturer lately! Open your eyes people - it HAD crappy phones. Not anymore. Now it just rocks!
13. remixfa posted on 10 Oct 2011, 08:07 0 2
the LG UI is a direct rip of TouchWiz, droid.. the fact that you like the generic and very much less functional version with LG is just kinda silly to me.. lol.
16. bobfreking55 posted on 10 Oct 2011, 08:32 4 0
True. The UI is not unique but it offers many things different.
Lg is just so misjudged right now. They make cheap high quality phones. (G2X!!)
26. ledbetterp3 posted on 10 Oct 2011, 15:33 2 0
LG had their UI first, even though it wasnt for android first, they had it on feature phones..
31. remixfa posted on 10 Oct 2011, 19:39 0 0
and samsung has been using touchwiz for like 5 years, which is longer than LG's UI. They copy each other, samsung however has taken the UI look and made it infinitely more functional.
34. droidnator posted on 11 Oct 2011, 01:31 1 0
Face it, remix. There are people who like LG, and others who hate them. Perfectly natural, it's a matter of personal preference. But when a few people tell you that LG's UI isn't bad at all, accept it, why fight the crowd? You like Sammy better, that's cool. Let's not divide the Android team into manufacturer fanboy clubs. Just don't hate on others ;) That's what iOS is for :D
29. corporateJP posted on 10 Oct 2011, 18:52 2 0
Who says LG HAD crappy phones?
I had a Voyager and a Versa that would both be happy to argue that point, plus quite a few friends with Dare's and Tritan's that were satisfied.
8. who's that girl (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 06:41 3 0
I don't know what this article is about but THAT GIRL!? Wow!
12. lubba posted on 10 Oct 2011, 08:05 3 0
I agree. Wow! She is a distraction to the true purpose of this article.
18. roldefol posted on 10 Oct 2011, 10:27 4 0
60% of commentators on this article prefer hot Korean babes to LG phones.
19. Habib posted on 10 Oct 2011, 11:00 1 0
I second your comment, and
oh yeah, that girl caught my eye too :/!
21. remixfa posted on 10 Oct 2011, 11:38 1 0
id like to over saturate her screens :)
22. roldefol posted on 10 Oct 2011, 11:45 0 0
23. bolaG posted on 10 Oct 2011, 13:00 0 0
wow. show one pic of a girl on a tech site and everyone starts acting like horny dogs hahaha.
27. lubba posted on 10 Oct 2011, 15:54 0 0
Good to put our difference aside and talk about something else besides our love for phones. By the way, look at pic two lovelies side by side. Which stimulates you more? Ahuh, you know I'm right. Lolzzz!
24. Gilgehmesh (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 14:12 0 0
Here the link to the picture everyone really wants to see... the full body shot of the three people... not that you guys want to see the full body shot of the old men as well:
25. Gilgehmesh (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 14:13 0 0
Oops, the link didn't show up.. must be the spam blocker..
33. koreampuff (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2011, 01:14 0 0
lol that's min hyo rin, a korean actress. she's not thirty actually; she's twenty six I think?
I watched some of the stuff she was in :)