LG expects to roll out Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade to select devices starting in Q2 2012
Last time around, we heard that LG was planning to bring the LG Optimus 2x and several other high-end devices from its portfolio up to snuff with Ice Cream Sandwich. Well folks, this morning brings us yet additional news regarding the highly anticipated update.
Taking a look at LG’s Facebook page, the Korean based company outlines its plans on brining Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich – though, not everyone is going to be pleased by the news. Specifically, the LG Optimus LTE, Prada 3.0, Optimus 2x, Eclipse, Optimus Sol, and my Touch Q will all be getting ICS sometime in Q2 2012. Meanwhile, the LG Optimus 3D, Optimus Black, Optimus Big, Optimus Q2, and Optimus EX will getting the tasty treat around Q3 2012. Naturally, it’s nice to know that these select devices are going to be treated to the latest and most up-to-date version of Android, but the wait is still rather lengthy.
We've reached out to LG regarding the matter surrounding the missing devices and will update things when we hear a repose.
And right on cue, we received news from LG directly regarding the matter at hand. Not surprisingly, LG tells us that the carriers have the power in making the call – meaning, LG’s technical account teams work with the carriers to determine compatibility. Therefore, “the carriers make the decisions as to which devices receive what upgrades and when.” At this point, it’s a matter of playing the waiting game and hearing word directly from the respective carriers as to when they’ll treat their LG devices with the tasty dessert.
source: LG via TmoNews & The Verge
1. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
LG getting ICS
Sony Getting ICS
But Samsung... Why not bringing ICS to Samsung Galaxy?
Don't believe the customization issues, it's all about money...
2. harsh_732006 (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
samsungs also getting ics on the devices which they can...they cant bring ics to sgs beacuse they cant remove touchwiz...and with touchwiz it will not run well on old hardware..:(
3. ardent1 (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
> Don't believe the customization issues, it's all about money...
Yes, it IS about the money. Samsung knew what it was doing when it rolled out the Galazy S and counted all its profits the way to the bank.
Now it realizes, it would cost too much money to fix the software, so they just throw their hands in the air and hope their Galaxy S customers would believe the bullspit.
The problem is a software issue. It can be fixed.
5. buggerrer (Posts: 290; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
LG and Sony wil get ICS to 2011 devices .. samsung also will do the same
why asking only samsung to update galaxy s that was released on 2010 ? wht about X10 from sony ?
11. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
that's what I've been saying all along...whys everyone complaining about Samsung not updating a 2010 phone when infact no other OEM is updating there 2010 phone...it would be nice but why is no one complaining about the other oem's...LG have basically just told us that the US carriers control the updates...guess we know why everyone outside the US knows when they are likely to get ICS...
16. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
We're not complaining about the Galaxy S, we're complaining about most of the 2011 line up. Only 3 out of 11 phones are getting ICS while all the Xperia Lineup is getting it. Also, SGS+ is a 2011 device.
4. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
thats why you guys need to realize windows phone is an upgrade for android.....Get updates straight from microsoft....
6. Zayuh24 (Posts: 148; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Are you kidding me? The Optimus 2x is getting ICS, but not the G2X in the US and they're the SAME PHONE?! What kind of _____ is that?!
8. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Its all about the money. The carriers would rather have you cancel your contract to buy a new phone with ICS installed, and sign a new 2 year contract in the process, than put money toward upgrading lesser devices. Rinse and repeat
7. jbash (Posts: 342; Member since: 07 Feb 2011)
if you want updates on an android device in a timely manner you better own a htc or a nexus
9. theBankRobber (Posts: 649; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
It seems all the most recent phones in the past month and all new phones will get ICS with no problem. While older phones from the past few months are on the fence. Even tho most phones are more then capable of handling ICS, we have to wait longer. Really sucks i tell u that
10. EasyMade (Posts: 9; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
This is the main reason why I got rid of the LG THRILL 4G cause nobody knew when it was gettin' GINGERBREAD and now their talkin' ICE CREAM SANDWICH...I BET MY MOTOROLA RAZR GET ICE CREAM SANDWICH...Stick to what your good at, HDTV
12. xoutrageousx (Posts: 70; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
oh android...you never cease to amaze me.
13. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Cm9 is due on the g2x within a few months. Who needs official updates anyway.
14. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2015; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Smh... ill just wait on the xda devs :-)... f*** LG ...
15. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Lg is awesome. And carriers are just brain less parasite who are supposed to suck the blood out of your brain. And samsung is okay. Sony, will see in 2012. Htc not even in their league. Except stupid and hypocrite americans buy htc devices.america is all about war,money, and racism.
19. theBankRobber (Posts: 649; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
And with a comment like that, you fit right in. HTC has great build quality, phones and software. Its LG's fault as they dont have there phones on others carriers. What high end LG phone is on Sprint? None that i know of, its there fault so dont blame americans because at least HTC whos how to update software. My old Evo got Froyo and gingerbread before almost any other phone besides the nexus.
17. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
And this is why my friends, you should get a Sony Ericsson...
20. Zayuh24 (Posts: 148; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Yeah I only got the G2X because it was FREE at the time. I will get a Sony phone when they come to T-Mobile (unlocked phones are out of my price range for now).
21. simonfrady (Posts: 25; Member since: 26 Dec 2011)
bad thing for Optimus Pad too, the LG doesnt mention about Optimus Pad :(
22. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6802; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
This is good news for LG Owners. Just wish all manufacturer would do the same so they won't mess up the updates on ICS only on certain device
23. PhoneCritic (Posts: 400; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
What everyone must realize is that it is not always the manufactures fault ( yes their UI enhancements the place on top of Android causes delays in upgrades but if the UI enhancments are not to deepley intergrated then they should be able to upgrade their devices in a reasonble amount of time.) The Carriers have so much more say in what devices get the upgrade.
1. Is it a big seller if so then proceed to #2 if not proceed to #7
2. Include our bloatware then proceed to # 3 if not then proceed to # 7
3. Test our bloatware for effectiveness then proceed to #4
4. Add more Bloatware then proceed to #5
5. two months worth of testing and certification if good procced to #6 if not repeat from #2
6. allowe OTA or manufactures website update ( since we dont want to cripple our network.
7. Your phone is to old (even though you purchased it 6 months ago -It's reallynot a seller and not worth investing our resources on).