LG confirms Google will unveil Nexus 4, Android 4.2 on October 29th
0. phoneArena 22 Oct 2012, 09:42 posted on
This one comes as no surprise after so many leaks - LG has now confirmed that Google will unveil the Nexus 4 next Monday, on October 29th…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. phljcnth (Posts: 165; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Excited! I hope 4.2 will stabilize and smoothen more the Android experience.
15. redmd (Posts: 761; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
quad core krait + stock android = drools but I'm still keeping my N7100
24. DROIDX0430 (Posts: 409; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
What a mess out there in Droid land.....we are now contending with some left over Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Icecream and JellyBean, now 4.2 comes on. I just wanna keep up, but the manufacturer's slow me down, and Google just keeps producing....one day, I hope Android will be like IOS in terms of updating...
26. Dr.Phil (Posts: 790; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I believe that's why they may be coming out with the Nexus program, so manufacturers would have to follow a list of guidelines in order to have the 'Nexus' title. The only other problem you will come across are the carriers. They make updates happen 3 or 4 months behind the rest of the world.
34. Twisted247 (Posts: 192; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
To even compare updates between ios and Android is apples to oranges. One of the strong points of Android is CHOICES, not only do we have the choice of multiple manufactures which is HUGE imho. We also have the choices of multiple different phones from the simple budget phones that are purpose built for talking on the phone with the ability to text. All the way up to the top of the line Flagship smartphones. Personally I would much rather have the option of being able to chose over the platter we are served now. KNOWING that yes when I buy this phone it will launch with x UI and x OS version. If that build does not suit me I can shop for a different setup or simply wait a few months to purchase something newer. Vs the competition who offers you ONE phone a year and it's take it or leave it, you don't like it then tough s**t stick with your outdated device. Yes iOS can brag that they updated 96% of their phones that were compatible within the first 2weeks(or w/e the stat was). I sure as hell hope so considering you only had 2 phones that could be updated to it, and when you have only offered 5 phones in the last 5years(roughly) you should be BLOWING the competition out of the water. Yet they haven't, and anyone who is running a 2-2.5year old android device running froyo or similar and actually expects to be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest software is just sadly mistaken.
Not to mention a lot of people that are in the U.S do not realize that it isn't Google that makes it take so long for us on updates. If you notice the other countries get everything much quicker (even though they are based here). Whether it's the carriers or other things I'm personally not sure.
43. TheMan (Posts: 317; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
You missed DROIDX0430's point and even supported it. He voiced a frustration many of us have that it's difficult to keep our Android device's OS current. We may have greater choice, but manufacturers also choose whether -- and then when -- to update a device's OS. And if you're in the U.S., carriers can delay that process further.
Forget about devices 2-2.5 years old. I used PA's Phone Finder to find several Big 2 carrier devices launched 4-13 months ago that are Froyo/Gingerbread bricks and will always remain so.
That leaves one choice: Upgrade. In the U.S. just hope you're not on contract.
58. sgogeta4 (Posts: 372; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
Most users don't need the latest and greatest, so what if a phone is released with an old OS? Those that do care, know how to easily update it themselves.
2. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Super excited for 4.2. Hope the rom comes out quickly as I do not trust verizon to let me update my GN.
20. cncrim (Posts: 364; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
There is google play store but too bad for verizon customer, carrier always want to have the last speak.
3. sid07desai (Posts: 233; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Excellent. I'll just have to tolerate my 4s till november end.
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
29th of October never seems to come!!
It will certainly be a day of rejoicing for us phone geeks!
10. PowTheBowl (Posts: 63; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
October 29 is a busy day for phone geeks as there will be 3 events!!! Google's Android, Microsoft's Win8 and T-mobile's event!
6. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
ahhhhhh please be good! nexus 5, nexus 10.
as well as surface, lumia 920 and all but that's a different story.
i wanna replace my phone! what kind of phone geek doesn't have a good phone?
7. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 165; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
This has got to be the poorest secret kept in smartphone history. Can't wait to get my hands on this nexus!
8. phljcnth (Posts: 165; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Don't you think iPhone 5 is the poorest secret kept? (That's only if you think it's a smart phone)
14. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 165; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
I consider it as a basic phone compared to android.
11. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 373; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
Verizon updates fast enough...I got my update.... 4.1.1 what other phone has that....stop complaining Verizon is still the best cellphone provider most reliable....get a job.... The way you people talk you would think walmart shoes are better then Nikes....
19. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
almost every other nexus had 4.1.1 within a month of the release. The international s3 and One x had 4.1.1 before the Galaxy nexus. The Note 2 came out of the box with 4.1.1 not even a month after the GN got it. The international version got the update 3-6 months before VZW. I don't see why the same exact hardware should take longer if it wasn't for VZW blocking it.
As for telling me to get a Job, I am waiting until I am old enough to drive (just under a year) but am already training to be an assistant fireman when i turn 16. So I count that as my job (outside of school). And despite my age I know that VZW is the obvious culprit for blocking updates. Hence why the VZW s3 is not getting the 4.1 update until mid-2013, even though samsung has already released a stable code that they could easily push over the air if VZW would allow it.
23. parkwaydr (Posts: 571; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
I could easily afford Verizon, I just refuse to put up with thier bulls**t. Why should I have to pay for a minuscule amount of data, when I can be on sprint, pay a lot less, and never have to worry about going over a data limit.
31. bubbadoes (Posts: 298; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Stay on major highways and inner city routes and you will be good to go with your signal on Sprint--which is why you pay less--I think you all are 1/3 covered in LTE now--still paying back Apple all that money for the Apple iphone 4S launch......Unlimited means throttled data, also on Sprint!!!!!!
48. parkwaydr (Posts: 571; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
That's funny, I spend a lot of time at my dads farm, and Sprint is the only provider that has service out there, thats why dad still has them, I've traveled all over the country and never once had a problem, so keep getting ripped off while I pay less for the same thing.
49. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
sprint has the 2nd biggest network by total coverage area. CDMA covers more area per tower than GSM.
Just because you pay more doesnt mean you get more. That's an idiotic TACO50 statement.
60. tha.fox (Posts: 100; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
Its funny because I work at verizon and used to work for sprint and know ppl that work there and they carry a verizon phone outside of work usually
41. JunitoNH (Posts: 650; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Well kid, Nike and Walmart shoes are made by the same people, look it up. You just pay lots for the Nike logo.
12. ajac09 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
zzzz its an LG and so far not impressed by then
16. redmd (Posts: 761; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
it's a Google phone made by LG and will get updates directly from...Google.
22. kanagadeepan (Posts: 518; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
I am little bit less impressed due to non-removable battery ONLY and NOT due to LG or Storage capacity (as there is 16GB option as well)...
I think, I will use my GNexus till next year, if there is NO other Nexus phone apart from LG'...
44. JonBjSig (Posts: 167; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
LG makes good hardware but bad software.
It's a Nexus, so problem solved.
54. TheMan (Posts: 317; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Gotta agree here. There hasn't been an Android LG worth salivating over to date. I'm hopeful (based on the specs), but their record to date has been underwhelming.
13. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Holy moly, the Nexus 4 to be available in India. *big grin on the face* *tries to throw money at the screen*
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
**Ends up falling on the desk below the screen** :D
28. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
*Picks it up and decides to save it to buy a Nexus*
30. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
hell yeah and now I am really impressed with LG if they make it happen.
18. aneet11 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Its great tht it will be available in india....with in a month of launch....looking forward to it....this fone will rock
25. Danre (Posts: 85; Member since: 02 Sep 2012)
Oh! God ........ Someone tell me what is new in Android 4.2.
I m excited to know about 4.2.
29. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Y u no wait and control your excitement till all is revealed?
32. kshell1 (Posts: 1112; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
LG's great device mixed with Google's superior hardware mmm mmm mmm looking forward to that keylime pie
33. Iphone4 (unregistered)
LG? anther nexus FLOP
37. plgladio (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Oh! what was the last Nexus flopped? Also what make you think LG like that?
45. JunitoNH (Posts: 650; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
First, let me start by saying, I own the SGNx, but iPhone 4 is correct. If you followed the Samsung vs Apple trial, and followed the numbers. Google only sold about 1million handset, which translate to a big fail. To be honest, the next Nexuses are not going to sell any better. Either the general public doesn't care and/or lack of brand recognition. I work in a 350+ person department, and I'm the only one withe GSM variant, the other is a Sprint. To be honest, haven't spotted another as of today. Geek appeal doesn't translate to great sales.
35. TimTebow (Posts: 68; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Nexus devices are always overrated.
Just shows you how desperate people are to have updates.
Updates that are really irrelevant in the big picture
38. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's not just for updates, it's also for stock Android. Not all people like custom skins like Touchwiz or Sense.
42. jan25 (Posts: 331; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
so irrelevant, that my Jellybean Nexus is more fluid than most quad-core phones running ICS.
36. plgladio (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Samsung failed to lauch Nexus devices in India, LG caught this.
A mobile with vanilla OS is needed in every part of the world..
39. Bugalho97 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
The specs are delicious but the back of the phone is just awful!
40. guest (Posts: 76; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
I will put a case asap on mine so it won't really matter. I accidentally drop tested the GN a couple of weeks after I got it :-( Not making that mistake twice!
52. VJo003 (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
It's good that as a user u only have to c the screen to operate
47. rusticguy (Posts: 2700; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
>> multiple accounts for tablets.
So we have multiuser stuff coming in on Android ... ?
iOS anyone? Where even true multi t5asking doesn't work?
50. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
key lime pie... doesnt sounds delish! :)
53. The_Innovation (Posts: 508; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Remember, remember the 29th of October.
55. Nikolas.Oliver (Posts: 1260; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
will my gnex get androis 4.2 update ?
its kinda pathetic to see nexus devices constantly getting upgrades to the latest and greatest android version in just 6 months whereas another android phone like gs3 has to wait over and over again just to taste the new android version
in fact. there are still android phones with gingerbread os....its 2 years behind !!!
this is the reason why i bought gnex in spite of the fact that it doesnt have the latest and greatest hardware
56. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Why won't the Gnex get the 4.2 update?
57. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
galaxy nexus? maybe coz nexus device will have easy updates coz they are not skinned by manufacturers!
the reason why s3 and others have delayed updates coz of the skinned UI they got!
59. ChafedBanana (Posts: 313; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Non-removable battery is weak. What is with all these phones not having a removable battery? Unless the battery is 3300 mah, batteries in phones need to be removable. I burn through 2 1850 mah batteries per day on my VZW Galaxy Nexus. What a disappointment this phone is.