LG and Samsung now confirmed to announce curved display smartphones as early as next week
0. phoneArena 02 Oct 2013, 03:44 posted on
Nerdy at heart, the idea of flexible displays speaks to our inner geek in a way that most 'new' tech simply doesn't...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. tech2 (Posts: 3450; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Never miss a chance to fire up a fanboy war ! Nice going
21. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I'm sure looking forward to them, but I still struggle to see how the tech will benefit smartphones.
23. Birds (Posts: 1156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
If it wasn't for the fanboy wars this site wouldn't have as much traffic, which means less adds being viewed, and means less money... So instigate the battles.... lol...
33. McLTE (Posts: 819; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The most significant benefit is with durability. A flexible screen will flex a little on impact, eliminating (or greatly reducing) shattered screens.
Don't get your hopes up for a bendable phone - that's not going to happen for a long long time.
We could also see some new design ideas with the screen wrapping around the edges of the phone also.
40. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Yes, Samsung has already displayed the wrapping screen around in a press release earlier this year.
Think the new Motorola active features on the side of your phone or device where the display wraps around the edge of your device.
68. Fernmar (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Jan 2012)
Yeah, Samsung have already showed us the design possibilities at CES 2013. It's on youtube, search "samsung flexible display at ces 2013 youm"
Bendable phones isn't neccessary....think flip phones, but instead of opening to a screen on one half and a keypad on the other it will be a complete screen on both halfs. Check the Youtube link out
67. Fernmar (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Jan 2012)
The last paragraph mentioned how it will benefit smartphones; the screen won't break if the phone is dropped, because of the screen thin profile bigger battery can be fit in the phone without compromising the phones thickness and looks, also the thinner and flexible screen means even better designs.
36. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Oh PunyPoop, just hope that this Flexible Phone of your Beloved LG will sell great. LOL. Just look at their Sale Figures/Numbers for how many years they are like you, Poop! LOL
43. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I understand you kid, I've been there before.. Don't worry, don't cry, everything will be alright..
54. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Hahahaha Oh come on, I did not cry. Why should I Poop? Hahaha! Yes everything is Alright on me. How about you Tons of Bitterness and Boredom in your small brain? Hmm! hahaha
2. JMartin22 (Posts: 1969; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Am I the only one that doesn't care about this in its current form? Unless they change the form factor in a way that's no longer considered standard for a smartphone, this will have limited use inanything practical.
13. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
True that. I would be pretty happy with a shrunken LG G2 with a 4.7" screen and slimmer bezels below the display without the LG Logo.
14. vincelongman (Posts: 4404; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
The practical uses are very limited at the momentum.
There only one that I've heard of, which is:
Since flexible displays won't shatter, if you drop it only the Gorilla Glass/DragonTrail/Sapphire layer may shatter.
Therefore the cost of fixing it will be far less, because your not replacing the very expensive screen.
29. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The glass only cost $5-$20 depending on your smartphone so it will be a lot cheaper.
3. Daftama (Posts: 619; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
The problem here is they are going to rush it. It will be underdeveloped. It won't be a premium like s4 or note 3...rather a test in the waters first bendable screen in the market test the crowd see what they say
20. structureman116 (Posts: 139; Member since: 14 Sep 2010)
Samsung was working on flexible screens in 2007. It doesn't seem like they've been rushing it to me.
25. DONUT (Posts: 423; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Samsung had a "smartwatch" in the past too. but look at the Galaxy Gear
30. Daftama (Posts: 619; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
They themselves are admitting it's missing features and that it only works withN3 seriously... I'm not hating on them. That watch won't sell average user won't buy a note 3 just so they can use the watch and even when it gets an updated to work with s3 n2 s4 cost for it is to high and demand isn't there... I would agree with donut.. Let's wait
6. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Jmartin22 your very right, I don't care anymore about better displays or more useless features and so on.... I want BIGGER MORE LASTING BATTERIES THAT CAN CHARGE IN LESS THEN FRICKEN 10 MIN. Like a battery that can last u 2 whole days of Hardcore gaming non stop.
31. Daftama (Posts: 619; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Your right they should. Make a heavy duty battery that's last a day at least or more than 8 hours... Don't give your phones last whole day or 10 hrs your not an average user... Ask am average user first complain is battery no body done it right...
10. sharifsumit (Posts: 22; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
CHRIS : your header : flexible is a wrong word chosen...it should be CURVED...
17. tech2 (Posts: 3450; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
The phone is curved and the display is flexible !
51. sharifsumit (Posts: 22; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
hahahahaha....how is it flexible ? can you bend it ? finally Chris changed his header :p
65. tech2 (Posts: 3450; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
The display, yes. He changed,the title, as it might draw some confusion but he wasn't incorrect first time as it said flexible 'display' smartphone and not flexible smartphone.
BTW, he still mentions flexible displays several time in the article.
45. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
same guy with two account praising each other.. i'll make sure my vomit is nice and clean..
46. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
His name and his love for Sony are enough to make me vomit.
47. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Have you read my comment above? I love LG too, oh and by the way, I love Apple, SONY, NOKIA, LG, HTC, I hate shiny shimmering plastics, fake metals, fake leather, fake benchmarks, fake cores!
49. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Oh and by the way, you love Sony, there you said it. My only regret is that Elop didn't smash a Sony Phone on the floor instead of the IPhone.
57. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
yeah and I love NOKIA too, do you have a mind problem kid?
66. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Don't be calling me kid, kid. So what if u like Nokia, doesn't mean i have to agree with u on the Sammy hate and bashing.
48. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
nah I don't think so, you and Smurf are the same, same mindset, so NVM..
52. DONUT (Posts: 423; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
lmao u joke i dont even know who punypoop is in real life and im sure as hell not from e same country as him. u need to get your life together boo
18. Topcat488 (Posts: 1396; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Can't wait for that "YOUM Foldable Note Max" from Samsung!
28. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Iamgine the battery life with a flexible IGZO display!
34. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Can't wait for this Samsung! LG? No Thanks Never Mind! That will not sell good what ever they do with it. I hope Samsung can make this Flexible screen phones useful and amazing. LG? Nah, I'm sure they are waiting for Sammy to finally announce their Flexible phones and After a week or two LG will announce their. The Copy Cat Way. LOL! Way to Go Samsung!
37. DONUT (Posts: 423; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
lmao thr are so many things that LG released before Samsung. you know tt thing Samsung calls TouchWiz? yeap, its actually a LG copy contrary to popular belief. a simple research on the history of both UIs would show u who came up with tt look first. and lets not forget so many other things LG have done first (first dual core, first quad core, first 2mp ff cam, first with S4 Pro, and e list goes on), oh and u know tt pattern samsung has on the back of their phones now? it debuted on LG first. started with the Optimus G and it was also present on their plastic devices like the F7 and F5.
39. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
DONUT, Ohhh? I see. But nobody cares about those crap that you mentioned about your beloved LG. Nobody cares about those, Just look at their Sales Figures for how many years they are still struggling. And I think You are the only one who knew that your LG, made TouchWiz, quad core etc. Optimus G what ever. Haha Keep buying LG products specially their phones and that might help them to improve their revenue and income. LOL
41. DONUT (Posts: 423; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
lmao LG alr turned a profit u dimwit. if no one cared about all that, than why did more phones come out with dual core, quad core and etc? of cos everyone knew and everyone cared. oh and tt touchwiz thing? im not the only tt is saying it. im sorry to burst ur samsung bubble, samsung isnt as great as ud like think.
ur beloved samsung is starting to fall lmao, stop hiding behind sales figures. S4 sales have been declining and thr are reports tt preorders for the Note 3 aint good. every company has highs and lows, and now Samsung is at its high.
oh and get off ur imgainary high horse cos ive been reading all ur comments and all u do is just come across as an incredibly basic bitter fanboy
55. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
DONUT! Please check your Dictionary. It seems that you are the only one who Understands your Spellings and Grammar. Lol OK Fine, ANY PROOF that LG Introduced those First and other companies Srated copying them?? And DONUT, How sure are you that Samsung latest flasghip phones are not selling Good?? Hahahaha S4 and Note 3 Sales are going up since last month. Do some research before posting your Sad Comments. And How's the Sale numbers of LG G2? The COPY CAT FROM S4? Did anyone tried to buy that Crap? Hahahaha DONUT, CHILL DUDE! CHILL. Hahha Don;t be so BITTER FANBOY! LOL
61. DONUT (Posts: 423; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
lmao e king of bitterness calling other ppl bitter. yea of cos thr are loads of proof. a simple Google search would yield all the proof u need. but clearly, someone as dumb as u wont know how to do a Google search. oh G2 is a S4 copy? hahahaahahahahahahaha does the S4 have super thin bezels? does the S4 have back buttons? does the S4 have OIS? oh lets see what LG copied from the S4 for G2... hmmm oh! choice of material!
hahahaha dead at u thinking S4 sales figures are going up. time for u to read more articles, S4 sales havent been as good as expected and SS shares are dropping lolol. oh and the Note 3, what i said was stated in one of the articles on this very website. but its ok, continue to be delusional hoe :) im done talking to ur basic ass
35. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
To anyone who does think its practical and pointles 2 things:
1. these screens will most likely be unbreakable so no more cracked screens
2. if all phones just stayed the same shape and stuff and only got bigger or smaller then there is no point and no innovation, flexible displays are the only next logical step!
38. oOps.. (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Jul 2013)
just wait and see how curve this amazing screen when I put it in the back pocket pants and imagine my a** added features :)
44. nctx77 (Posts: 1957; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
I'm still not understanding the point of curved displays on a phone. It's not the screen that breaks, it's the glass. I guess the only other thing that makes since is if it saves on battery life. The tech is cool, but not practical for anything. What problem does it solve? I can see this in a watch. I think the curved tv's are pointless to. As far as viewing angles go, they need to come out with a better screen, not a curved screen. I just feel like these companies have this great tech, but have no idea what to do with it.