LG Optimus 2X not getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
0. phoneArena 28 Oct 2011, 07:39 posted on
The LG Optimus 2X is not going to get updated to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, LG has confirmed via its Facebook page…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
This takes LG completely out of my consideration for any future purchases.
This seems like a decent sized mistake for them.
10. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
LG has made some phenomenal featurephones (I've owned 3 and loved them) and used to be my top choice, but smartphones seem to be an afterthought for them.
17. remixfa (Posts: 14059; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
they used to make all the best phones on VZW.. they are just sliding.
Sorry but that phone is what.. 8 months old? its never gotten any support.
Now what about the G2X??
20. Snapdude (Posts: 128; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
this is a shame becuase the 2x has more than enough horsepower to run gingerbread and ICS.... i think LG is really struggling in the software development department. they seem to have finally gotten the hardware down
22. raunak (Posts: 505; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
well if they're struggling in software department, they should just provide an vanilla android update without any modifications but atleast provide the latest update and specially when the phone is perfectly able to handle it...
24. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
LG started out stock with the Ally, and that was one of its better qualities. Why do they feel they must keep up with TouchWiz?
27. Snapdude (Posts: 128; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
they use that stupid modified bing interface
30. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'm pretty sure bing is gone from Verizon's new phones. The LG Enlighten and Samsung Stratosphere both use Google apps. It's LG's TouchWiz-alike Optimus skin that's the problem. So perhaps there is hope for the G2X.
33. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i was legitly interested in the LG Revolution when it was thought to be a Verizon 4G LTE version of the G2x but they ruined it in every possible way.
40. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Remember when the LG Voyager and LG Dare were the best phones on the market?
43. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
even the enV Touch had it's days in the Sun.
remember the Versa?
44. remixfa (Posts: 14059; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea i worked for VZW when the voyager launched.. that phone sold tons and tons.
they may indeed be having software development issues. If thats the case then they need to stick to stock sets and update them quickly with the latest updates. Give themselves a reputation of a fast stock alternative to a nexus phone. If i was the head of a struggling company, thats what i would do. Especially since so many android users complain about update drama from the other big 3 manufacturers.
Google gives manufacturers all the tools they need.. they just dont seem to want to use them for some reason.
26. raunak (Posts: 505; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
yeah, but good for us as now LG is out of competition so less confusion about which phone to buy
2. bigboss (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Really. LG is not in my views for any future purchase. Who wants a new phone with old os when he is paying a lot for it?
3. redmd (Posts: 901; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Anant, your question should be:
"Will Optimus 2X P990 ever get official Gingerbread from LG?"
LG = great hardware, crap software.
23. raunak (Posts: 505; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
hardware isn't that great either, 2X is worst among dual cores
31. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Isn't the current pecking order Exynos > OMAP 4 > Tegra 2 > Snapdragon S3?
Although Qualcomm has leveled the field a bit by upping the S3 clock speed to 1.5 Ghz.
34. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the S3 clocked at 1.5GHz is more powerful sure but remember higher clock frequencies also equal badder battery life. let's hope that MSM8960 is a week away.
36. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
We'll see... but judging from the girth (yes, I said girth) of the Rezound in spy pics and benchmarks showing an Adreno 220, it'll be an upclocked 1.5 Ghz 8660. I think all the LTE-imbedded chips are for next year.
37. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
well it's going to be really bad then.
45. remixfa (Posts: 14059; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the amaze clocked at 1.5ghz scores no better to slightly better than a Tegra2 at 1.2ghz... your just getting even worse battery life than the already battery guzzling S3 at 1.2ghz.
Samsung is just pulling some tricks on the Hercules.. im 99% sure of it.. lol
4. c.hack (Posts: 519; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Welcome to Android, where you get a 2 year contracts on phones that are obsolete in 3 months.
8. PhoneArena Team (Posts: 238; Member since: 27 Jun 2006)
13. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
By the logic of Michael's article, being a ~1 year old high-end device the Optimus 2X should absolutely be getting ICS early next year. The fact that it isn't supports my claim that LG is at fault.
14. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Nothing to do with Android,its just poor from LG who really are useless in the smartphone sector these days,fairing only slightly better than nokia.
Most other top androids are getting ice cream especially samsungs ranges so LG get a thumbs down for treating their fans like this
18. c.hack (Posts: 519; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
The problem is not just LG - its also the carrier who has to clear all updates. Its also the fact that Android provides no assurance, and has no connection with customers. If you use Android you get the worst of the phone maker and carrier. Either one can screw up the phone - and usually do; either with crapware or a hopelessly buggy release (I suffered with the original GB from Moto on a DX and DX2 for months of daily random reboots). Android/Google is hands-off and does not care about the consumer.
25. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
But again, you're blaming Google directly for Verizon & Motorola's software/bloatware decisions. True, Google's hands-off policies allow provider/manufacturer abuses, but I'd rather it remain open for the manufacturers who do it well.
41. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Welcome to PhoneArena, where you get annoying trolls spamming every article with nonsense.
7. imkyle (Posts: 1018; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I'm surprised. This phone is fantastic. Even months after the release its still good. LG this is dissapointing and sad.
9. redflag_rising (Posts: 20; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
LG still couldnt keep up to the competition....
12. a961009 (Posts: 116; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
Hello I am korean. I am spreading this news to korean optimus 2x users. They say that really LG is fu**ing hell.. You know what? Even I am shocked when I saw this news
15. saiki4116 (Posts: 358; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
this makes things easy for me,i would never consider LG for my next phone
16. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
does that mean the G2x won't get it? it doesn't have LG's overlay and it's gotten Gingerbread so it might be an exception.
39. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
the lg g2x P990 is a different phone than the 2x P900. even if lg doesnt update to ics the developer community will. i dont hate lg. lg does the right thing, they release a phone with great specs, unlocked bootloader, make the stock rom available and then they step aside and let the developers have at it. i would rather have an unlocked lg with developer support and no lg or carrier support, than have a locked down moto or iphone and have to wait months for a decent rom or update anyday.
46. remixfa (Posts: 14059; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
im hoping the G2X gets it for that reason.
Problem with the XDA theory is they need a working beta rom to go off of, unless they build one from the ground up. very few people outside of cyanogen's Team Douche do that. Its not impossible, its just improbable without something from LG to go off of. (needs drivers, ect ect ect)
19. Epic09 (Posts: 12; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I might not own the 2X but WTF..LG is just being a lazy ass..seriously it took the threat of lawsuit to get gingerbread on it and now this..
Oh well..XDA got your back 2X owners.
21. Irad123 (Posts: 32; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Very disappointing... this phone will never get to put it's full potential to work. too bad...
29. roscuthiii (Posts: 1863; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Ugh, WTF?! Having a UI requires a team to put it together and maintain it. That costs a company money. Does LG not realize how many people would take a stock ICS Android?
That's increased sales without the cost of the UI!
Poorly done LG. Poorly done.
32. roldefol (Posts: 3106; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And with ICS coming, LG could swoop in with their HD IPS screens and give us a great looking stock experience... if they aren't too proud of their own UI.
35. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
This is a mid boggling decision from LG, are they about to exit the smartphone business or something? They released a beast of a phone but hamper it with muddy UI over Android, then of course get it muddied some more with carrier useless crap. LG really needs to rethink this, even if your phones are on the decline in popularity to hasten it's downfall by basically ditching one of your bests smartphone designs in a long time. I hate the fact that Verizon decided to Bing the crap out of that LG X2, dude don't tell me what search provider to use, that is my choice. Sorry LG 2X owners guess it will be XDA for you guys.
38. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
thank goodness the developer community is more reliable than the phone industry. i cant wait for CM9 xD.
42. ParaSky100 (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Aug 2011)
LG are turning into the new Sony Ericsson with this poor support for their phones. Good thing I'm going for a Xperia Arc S soon, seeing as it will have ICS.
48. pkingduck (Posts: 9; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Should I get AT&T galaxy s 2 or galaxy nexus? And will nexus ever be available to AT&T customers on contract?
51. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6678; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
You should at least wait till Nexus is available for AT&T. I would love the SII but since NEXUS will be on all carriers. But as for me I'm waiting next year for the SIII always wait for better hardware.
53. remixfa (Posts: 14059; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
They will both be in stores this time around.
As far as which, its your preference. The SGS2 has better hardware in every category except screen. The nexus comes with ICS and the better screen.
54. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the only thing with AT&T's variant of the Galaxy S II is it uses AT&T's HSPA+ network which is lacking quite sadly and it's clear that AT&T's attention is on broadening their LTE network with no considerable plans for their HSPA+ network in the future. it's not future proof in a very important aspect and i'd say to wait and see what AT&T has in store for the holidays.
49. Carlitos (Posts: 340; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I thought the the Atrix was the first Dual -Core phone, or was it just here in the U.S.
50. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it was the first one availiable in the States.
52. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6678; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Just glad I don't buy LG phones. They never support their hardware for update software. It kinda sucks for all the LG owners that have the 2X won't get ICS. I just hope my Atrix gets it
55. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
if this is true, it is really disappointing.. i hope they will update the Optimus 3D to ICS.
btw, on GSMarena, someone commented on the article (about O2x not getting ICS), he posted a link to a LG Facebook page. it was after this comment made by LG. this ''confirmation'' by LG was done on 17 Oct, however tt link shows 23 Oct and it says '' Hey Rahul, We do have a plan to update Ice Cream Sandwich.Now we are working on it! When the date is set we will let you know through Facebook! Please check our wall regularly! Cheers''
here's da link:http://www.facebook.com/LGMobi
56. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5633; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
THIS CALLS FOR AN UPDATE! o:
great find guy.
57. toaster (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
Hey PA, I've read recently (can't remember if it was at Mobile Syrup or Engadget) but it seems LG has had a change of heart and are working on bringing ICS to the O2x. Seems the public outcry of LG users got to them. I'll look up the source.
Hopefully this means that the O3D will at least get Gingerbread, if not ICS, since that one has an OMAP (same basic SoC as the GN albeit slightly older)
58. toaster (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
Crap, someone beat me to the punch. Ah well, take this as a second confirmation that LG is bringing ICS to the O2X. Keep hope guys, would hate to see the first dual core phone left behind in the most important Android update.
imus_2x_will_not_be_getting_a_and read the update. taste_of_ice_cream_sandwich-news-3328.php