LG Nexus 5 (2015) renders and video claim 5.2-inch screen, rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
1. CoastCity (Posts: 247; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Is that a usb2 masked to look like a usb type c, as we have seen before? Or it's the real deal?
14. vincelongman (Posts: 3980; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Type-C is just the connector
USB 2.0+Type-C+QC would still be far far better than using USB 2.0+microUSB+QC
Unfortunately there's no SoC right now that supports USB 3.1 Gen 2
If its the 810/808 it COULD be USB 3.0 OR 2.0
If its the 620, then it will be USB 2.0
19. buccob (Posts: 2495; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree, but right now having "microSD" has a lot of commonly used standards, such as USB OTG, MHL, etc... and even though they CAN and WILL be implemented in Type-C connectors, the current crop does not have those features...
So I will patiently wait for it to become more ubiquitous... I recently started using my MHL 3.0 adapter...
29. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
They could add support for USB 3.1. I'm sure it would be fairly difficult, but it could be done. Intel's X99/Z97/Z170 chipsets don't support native USB 3.1 either, but manufacturers are giving them support by adding an ASMedia controller to the motherboards.
31. vincelongman (Posts: 3980; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
True, they could do that
But pcb space is much more limited in phones
Also extra costs, since the Nexus 5 is rumored to be cheap again
So I don't think that's likely unfortunately
2. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1981; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
a infrared sensor next to color spectrum & LED that's a plus....sale sale!
3. bur60 (Posts: 821; Member since: 07 Jul 2014)
Release ittt!!!! If it has lg g4 camera and or Camera api2 I'm sold. (either rip lg g4 camera app via xda or just manual camera app)
4. mr2trce (Posts: 33; Member since: 27 Apr 2015)
I loved the nexus 6 and tho I like what this is offering, I can't go back to having smaller screen
8. CoastCity (Posts: 247; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Huawei will build the bigger screen version
23. Niva. (Posts: 417; Member since: 05 Jan 2015)
I haven't gotten the Nexus 6 due to the big screen. So glad to see Google coming back to a Nexus phone rather than a phable Don't get me wrong, I like the 6 too, just not my idea of a daily driver.
5. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2017; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I really hope it has no curved back. The camera looks ugly.
7. carlemillward (unregistered)
Not sure I like this type of plastic, looks generic.
10. Feanor (Posts: 663; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
One thing that harms the Nexus line is the lack of design identity and the fact that they are always so generic looking. Google realised that they needed a design identity for Android UI (and we got Material Design) but they are far from achieving something similar with their Nexus hardware. All Nexus devices have always been design nobodys suited mainly for developers. I think a good idea would be to try and get some Material Design hardware, with sharp edges and similar colour palette and a feeling of two-dimensionality.
20. surethom (Posts: 589; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
The main thing that harms the Nexus line is poor Battery & untill the Nexus 5 The cameras were rubbish The designs have never been a real issue.
11. osbert (Posts: 125; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Yaaaay useless stereo speakers taking up sh#tloads of room and creating huge bezels....
12. vincelongman (Posts: 3980; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I wish they squeezed the 5.2" screen into the 2013 Nexus 5's body
Or kept it at 5" and squeezed it down to the Nexus 4's size
21. buccob (Posts: 2495; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well I do like Stereo Speakers... and my phone has a decent 71% of stb ratio...
It gives a slightly better experience for music, a much better experience for casual movies or shows and a vastly better experience for Gaming, since having stereo allows you to know where the noises/shots/sounds come from and you can react accordingly...
27. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Google hasn't learned. If both Apple and Samsung think front facing speakers is a bad idea saleswise, then that's most likely the case.
Sure Apple is cheap and outdated but Samsung would have included it in one of their handsets by now if it was a smart thing to do.
13. tokuzumi (Posts: 880; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
If it really is only a 5.2" screen, I'm going to get one. "Normal" sized phones are now in the 5.5-6" range, which is huge, and hard to manage with one hand. I have a nexus 6, and while I like using it, I hate carrying it around. I'm not a skinny jeans type person, but trying to carry this thing around is very difficult. I actually prefer to carry my Galaxy S4 around.
33. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
You do know those dimensions are 5.5 inch size and up right?
15. Cyberchum (Posts: 660; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
"Reversible USB Type C". Please is there a USB Type C that is not reversible or do they enjoy making redundant remarks?
16. Af1rPA (Posts: 657; Member since: 12 Jun 2014)
I was really hoping it would look a bit like the original nexus 5 with the slight top and bottom curve.
17. ibend (Posts: 3195; Member since: 30 Sep 2014)
dear LG, now is the perfect time to make "Nexus 5 note" with spec slightly better than LG G4, bigger screen, and something like S-pen
(and dont forget about microSD, bigger and removable battery, IRblaster, and maybe snapdragon 820) with that u can beat samsung
18. jessyi (Posts: 324; Member since: 08 Jan 2015)
Just make the bezels thin all around..LG hurry to bring out the G4 pro/note.
26. yonith (Posts: 142; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
You can kiss that dream goodbye...look at the size specs. It's nearly the same size as the LG G3 which has a 5.5in screen. Very disappointing.
22. Swordylove (Posts: 159; Member since: 27 Jun 2015)
Doesn't look too thin, but still bulging camera? -.-
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 19471; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No more such thing as leaks, simply pre previews.
25. Mass88 (Posts: 56; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
If they're going to have two different phones this year, why not have one that's 4.85-4.9 and then the other be 5.5-5.7?
36. ahs8225 (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Aug 2015)
I truly agreed with you ... I want a phone that is smaller than 5"
they should have made phones that is smaller than 5" and bigger than 5"
28. tarek1980 (Posts: 278; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Cool design & simple .......... with the perfect mat plastic .... I like it & I'm waiting for it.
I hope it will come in September 2015
32. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
With those dimensions it sounds dead on arrival. Nobody wants a phablet with a 5.2 inch screen.
34. o0Exia0o (Posts: 893; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
There are still a few people that don't want to carry around a 6 inch screened phone. I am one of them and while I may be in the minority I will likely buy 2 of the Nexus 5 (2015) when I receive my Project Fi invites.
On another note I wish they would bring Project Fi out of beta, I'm tired of Verizon's crap. I've been a VZW customer since 2005 and all they have done is crap all over me. Now with the new "Verizon Plan" if I want to keep the cellular plan I have I have to pay FULL price for a device. Is this how a company is supposed to treat loyal customers that have religiously paid their bill on time for over 10 years? After I get my fi invites back Verizon will be kicking rocks outta my wallet and life. I hope Alphabet (Google) brings fi out of Beta so we can quit with this invite system....
35. ahs8225 (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Aug 2015)
ahhh damn... I was looking for replacement for my iphone 5s...I was waiting for this device but new nexus 5 is bigger..... 0.2 inch bigger... maybe I should stick with iphone 5s..