LG, Lenovo and others announced as new Windows Phone hardware partners
0. phoneArena 23 Feb 2014, 08:41 posted on
There are a total of eight new Windows Phone hardware partners, and all are working with Microsoft to manufacture and launch WP handsets soon...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
27. aksa123 (Posts: 274; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Perhaps they just got bored with android :P
8. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3502; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I'm hoping Sony will start making Xperia devices similar to Vaio Tap 11 now that we won't see any new Vaios anymore :( And I would definitely want it to run full Windows 8.1
25. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 406; Member since: 07 May 2012)
i was wondering the same thing, Sony would make great WP with their awesome designs
3. lucid.brat (Posts: 104; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Look at the irony everyone will try their luck with windows phone while nokia try with android...
21. sip1995 (Posts: 1285; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Yeah an android device with Windows Phone ui, so the android users will switch easier to Windows Phones. The perfect attack to Google from Nokia/Microsoft.
23. Dastrix (unregistered)
Yeah lol, also Lenovo as a new Windows Phone partner, after acquiring Moto from Google is just as ironic.
26. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 406; Member since: 07 May 2012)
they are trying to expand their portfolio
4. aditya.k (Posts: 492; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
When Nokia can bring devices like Lumia 525, I don't think Lava and Karbonn can do any damage! But then there are fanboys of those companies too, to buy them!
5. xperiance (Posts: 44; Member since: 22 Oct 2013)
So all those sony windows rumors were fake!!
22. snowgator (Posts: 3350; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Nah, I don't think so. But there has to be some "Playstation VS. XBOX Live" concessions for Sony to jump in. Sony sold their laptop business to concentrate on smartphone and maybe tablet sales. No reason to think the WP Sony isn't going to happen. Only that they haven't been announced.
At least, I hope. I love me some Sony hardware. Would LOVE to see what a WP from them shapes up as!!
31. chocowii (Posts: 387; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Yes I think what hinders Sony from making WP devices is the Playstation-XBLA thingie. You cant have PS and Xbox side by side in one device. It can have conflicts.
6. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1333; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Folks it's the Windows phone 8.1 update that is doing this. not only does this update give MS
Windows 8 smartphones a lot of great new features but it also give Windows 8.1 smartphones the drivers to work on a lot of new low end and high end hardware. Microsoft has cut the price of it's Windows 8.1 license fees so low now we can see it on low priced Tablets. so get ready to be able to buy a windows 8.1 tablet as low as 250 dollar$. WOW that is what I see Microsoft needed to move Windows 8.1 Tablets. there will also be a new range of cheap 100 to 150 dollar windows 8.1 smart phones running Snapdragon and QUALCOMM ARMS CPU's
32. elitewolverine (Posts: 3346; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
You technically can.
I got a refurbished Lenovo Lynx 11.6in with a 1yr warranty from Lenovo for 250 from newegg. Full blown windows 8, now 8.1 and loving every second of it. Especially since it has full dock support and hdmi out and sd card. The only thing it is 'missing' is a back camera. Has a front but I don't see me pulling out a 12in tablet to snap photos, I have my 925 for that.
7. papss (unregistered)
Between this announcement and the one about the onscreen buttons this is an easy transition for OEM's it seems.
9. alterecho (Posts: 1095; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Either these manufacturers have seen something the public hasn't, or Microsoft is throwing aroung cash.
14. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, they see the market for WP is growing - but, you are always taking a chance with the unknown - the key for these companies is CHEAP...that is how ANDROID did it at first, and that is how Microsoft has to do it, as well as their OEM partners...but, Microsoft is a bully, so idk if I would want to be their partner...
24. Dastrix (unregistered)
I said it countless times that Samsung is Android's top dog, and that situation isn't changing anytime soon. It's kind of sad for those other Android OEMs. So, unless these OEMs resort to other options, the only feasible one being, Windows Phone, they would most likely go the the Blackberry way because Samsung is slowly killing them, one by one, HTC being the first. Windows Phone might just be their saviour.
33. elitewolverine (Posts: 3346; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
You mean...wait you mean like every company out there that has cash to throw about? Like Samsung, or wait goooooogle? please you act like only MS uses cash incentives. You must live under a rock or something.
11. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 209; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Did ZTE launch any WP devices? Or did you include WP7?
13. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, I am in the process of buying a 7 inch phablet, soooo...maybe next round I give someone else a try....
15. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 903; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Errmm are PA forgetting that LG did launch a couple of WP7 handsets before giving up? Do the Optimus 7 and Optimus 7Q not ring a bell??? -_-
17. Florin.T (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
You are right, those run WP7. Article updated, thanks!
16. QuadFace (Posts: 116; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Wow, WP is the next big thing. I love Microsoft.
18. BesnikRrustemi (Posts: 44; Member since: 08 Jan 2013)
im waiting for a lumia 1020 successor upgrade with a snapdragon800+ or a 1520 with a smaller display like 4.7-5 inch.
most of the apps that i use on android are there,except 5-10 of them but i can surely survive that and they will be on windows phone store soon.im loving wp unique design,live tiles.and the new features on wp 8.1 really closes the gap on features between ios and android.
19. corporateJP (Posts: 2340; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Nice to see LG back. Maybe I'll try another one of their phones once Nokia is officially done in the handset business. Always had good luck with LG...
30. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Were talking about WP here.. You hate WP!