LG G3 Wireless Charger (WCD-100) hands-on
0. phoneArena 11 Jul 2014, 08:56 posted on
Here we have the LG WCD-100 Qi wireless charger. This is LG's accessory that's meant to power up Qi standard-compatible devices, such as the LG G3's European version. Owners of US and Asian models must procure either LG's official Quick Circle case, or another replacement back panel with support for wireless charging...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
15. sgtdisturbed47 (Posts: 250; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
This article states that the US versions don't support wireless charging without the Quick Circle case, but every VZW rep I've asked says it has wireless charging capability out-of-box.
2. fistigons (Posts: 269; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I love standing qi chargers. Too bad I own 4 Nokia fatboy chargers.
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In my opinion LG G3 is the best smartphone in the market for today but official LG G3 wireless charger looks cheap and not ergonomic. And maybe it just me but so far I didn't saw black version of this charger only white models.
4. matty1323 (Posts: 31; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I agree with PAuser, you would think that they would have been going for affordable with this style but apparently not. I like to go OEM for accessories when I can but this is hard to swallow. I'll definitely have to try and fins this cheaper in the next couple !months or so. I would like to hope it works landscape too if you're using it as a desk dock? Confirmation would be great tho.
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"I agree with PAuser..."
Thank you matty1323.
"I would like to hope it works landscape too if you're using it as a desk dock? Confirmation would be great tho."
I was watching LG G3 wireless charger review on YouTube (don't remember the channel) and as far as I remember author of review tried to charge LG G3 while phone was placed in the horizontal position but charging didn't worked. I assume that coil which is inside of LG G3 back cover in horizontal position didn't cover most part of charger's coil which is in vertical position. So induction is to low to start charging process.
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In theory since charger can lay flat, it should be able charge phone in both horizontal and vertical positions but I'm not 100% sure, this info still should be confirmed.
9. TheGenius (Posts: 339; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Article clearly says that it supports potrait and landscape modes.!
16. luis.d (Posts: 292; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
This is a mistake that has been corrected now. The LG G3 won't charge in horizontal orientation. I apologize for the incorrect information.
5. dmh0284 (Posts: 28; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
How is this more convenient or practical than wired charging? I mean, if you were able to hold it in your hand and use it while it wirelessly charged then that would be one thing. But the fact that it has to sit in a cradle in order to charge means that you will have to leave your phone alone while it charges. This isn't the case when you charge your phone with a traditional cable.
As far as I'm concerned, this whole cradle wireless charging thing is a gimmick. I'm not bashing the G3, BTW, just cradle charging. I am a G2 owner.
6. TruthSpeaker (unregistered)
$60 seems a bit much, especially if you're in the US & Asian markets and need further accessories to make it work.
Although I'm a big fan of the "magnetic charging dock" on the Z2, very convenient. Works a treat and was less than £5 delivered on ebay.
11. scy1192 (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 May 2014)
Can anyone recommend a similar one that isn't so expensive?
12. eric0668 (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Jul 2014)
I don't really think it looks that cheap at all. But I haven't seen or used it. You may have thus the opinions of some.
I am wondering 2 things:
1. I am with T-Mobile fwiw. What is needed to make it work with the charger, the Circle case? Maybe nothing? Or is there a regular case or battery cover it will work with?
2. If when I were to get that back cover that may or may not exist, is it like the Nexus one where it works with a case on it.
Thanks so much
13. luis.d (Posts: 292; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
1. You need either the QuickCircle case, or a replacement back panel with support for wireless charging. LG sells both, but you'll have an easier time finding the case. Before you've asked, I'm not aware of third-party accessories that support wireless charging.
2. Wireless charging usually happens through cases and covers that aren't very thick.
14. eric0668 (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Jul 2014)
Not fond of any portfolio case. Can't find just the back cover. If anyone can, and they could share a link, I'd be most grateful
17. imjcmr (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
This will not work with the AT&T variant of the lg g3 at all. They opted to go with PMA charging. And does anyone make a PMA charging back cover for the Lg G3? Of course not!
18. joelks (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Sep 2014)
I have the LGG3 with ATT. I wanted wireless charging really bad for just the geek value. Use quick circle case from ATT, bought duracell powermat, waited 15 days to get it. Plugged it in and it worked twice. TWICE! and never again. After checking into it I find lots of posts from people with the same problem. Turns out ATT's jacked up control that won't allow Qi has a phone that rarely works well with the PMA. It's the phone thats screwed. I really hope someone can find away to fix this. I would by a new back if I could find one, but it would be awesome if someone could find away to get out from under ATT's thimb and switch the phone to QI like Verizon's phones. What a pisser!