LG G2 price revealed, slightly more expensive than Galaxy S4
0. phoneArena 08 Aug 2013, 07:34 posted on
The LG G2 is the new Android flagship on the block and new here means best in terms of performance as it packs the Snapdragon 800 chip…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tech2 (Posts: 3427; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
lol, since when 80 euros is SLIGHT ?! Thats about 15% more
...just saying :)
15. boosook (Posts: 1430; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
it much more powerful, why should it cost the same? :) the additional specs and features are well worth a 15% increase in price IMO.
19. tech2 (Posts: 3427; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
because with great powers (SD800) comes great responsibilities (UPDATES) ! ;)
24. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
So Qualcomm 800 costs 80 euros more than 600??
S600 was around $20 for OEMs per unit. Do you think 800 is like $100??
25. justsayit (Posts: 256; Member since: 09 May 2013)
this time lg has make some ads
may add little bit price compare to old lg phone
44. robcar (Posts: 109; Member since: 18 Jan 2011)
Better camera, bigger battery, better and bigger display, LTE advance, Wifi (ac), nicer desgin with less deadspace, quality (maybe better)....
Samsung S4 is not i same class, maybe S5.
2. dickwyn (Posts: 621; Member since: 07 May 2012)
no google edition g2, no worries just wait for the nexus 5
4. roldefol (Posts: 4178; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Which I'm betting will have G2 hardware (5.2" 1080p, S800) but in a more traditional nexus body. I doubt Google is on board with the funky rear button placement.
17. bucky (Posts: 2491; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I hope not. I already have a tablet at home.
20. roldefol (Posts: 4178; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Seriously? If you call the G2 a phablet, you're also calling the One, S4, Droid Maxx and any other ~5" phone such.
26. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
barring the button placement, even the G2 is a traditional plastic body
I really wonder why they ditched a good build/design like that of the Optimus G and replaced back with plastic!
27. roldefol (Posts: 4178; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
They had a lot of hardware to cram into the G2. The rear button placement allowed them a minimum bezel, and the 3000 mAh battery necessitated sealed plastic construction. And since people continue to buy cheap plastic S3s and S4s in droves, why fight it I guess.
30. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
thats true .. but that was a definite advantage the G had over the S3.. the build quality and construction material
3. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
As expected, but still LG's prices are not so high as compared to HTC, Sony & Motorola. Sammy and LG prices are almost same. iPhone? Well it leave behind everyone in this...
5. Ninetysix (Posts: 2340; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Good luck with your 4.3 or KLP OS update whoever buys this phone.
6. lallolu (Posts: 462; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
There will be a lot of support for this one in XDA.
LG will not make the Google Edition because Nexus 5 will be based on this.
8. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
judging from the new approach LG have taken with the G2 then maybe they have taken a new approach with updates
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If LG won't keep updating this phone, this phone will be BS.
7. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
i choose this than s4. i held an lg smartphone before and it feels great in quality
9. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
and the upcoming sony device will surely surpass that device...
that device's price.
sony will surely be more expensive!!!
especially now with the yen appreciating again.
11. bubbadoes (Posts: 837; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I guess my wait will continue. Was waiting on Verizon to get off of its duff and release the One now I will pass and wait until this is released.
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I want it, but I'm worried about updates. We all know that LG is bad at updates just like HTC.
LG, you better make this update guaranteed.
21. tiara6918 (Posts: 2034; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Only Samsung and Apple are the companies I trust when it comes to updates
Even though there is fragmentation on some cases, you will still get an update and support from the manufacturer since they do not easily forget the consumers who bought an older model
14. justsayit (Posts: 256; Member since: 09 May 2013)
this price still ok
i pretty sure it will be more cheap when come to here
16. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Ouch for the price tag with out contract. Well my desicion still comes down too the X PHONE or the up coming SONY HONAMI phone
18. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Before end of August on all carriers for release? Now that is a bold statement.... Hard to believe that... Seeing as droids 23, me HTC one 29th. Not much room there... Knowing Verizon's tendency also. Damn I never wanted a phone so bad. Android 4.2 is as updated as things get I don't know why people keep whining about slow updates. 4.3 is nothing new And I'm sure it won't get new till 5.0 which will never exist.... Soooooooo yeah.
22. roldefol (Posts: 4178; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It only says US release. It might actually be available this month on AT&T and/or T-Mobile. GSM carriers can launch brand new phones pretty quickly.
23. tiara6918 (Posts: 2034; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
It is no surprise that the g2's price is higher considering the fact that it had just been released and Samsung already had a price cut on the s4
28. pyradark (Posts: 831; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Expensive for a company who doesnt bring a lot updates to a lot of their phone!!!
29. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 474; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
Updates lol tell that to galaxy 2 owners
48. joey_sfb (Posts: 5548; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
My friend S2 already got jelly bean 4.1.2 from Samsung. My optimus 3D which bought during the same period is still on ginger bread.
I love LG other stuff which I bought like their passive 3D TV, their sound bar, their health plus air con. So I am not LG hater just that their phone update track record its lacking. I will still buy LG other stuff just not their phone.
32. papss (unregistered)
I had a nitro and it got updated timely but yeah I agree regarding the poor G.. I believe its still on ics
36. freebee269 (Posts: 537; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
lg optimus g has android 4.1.2.
49. joey_sfb (Posts: 5548; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Not every market. The will abandon their update effort as soon as the product disappear from the selves.
33. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
buttons at the back??? looks stupid to me..
34. ChafedBanana (Posts: 380; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
End of August for all major U.S. carriers, end of September for Verizon.
35. ryan5609 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
Pending reviews, I am considering selling my GS4 and picking up the G2. The G2 seems to have more useful unique features that I could actually use. I never use any of the gimmicky features on my GS4. The GS4 is still a nice phone, and I love the developer support. But if $599 holds true, the upgrade from my GS4 may not cost that much.
37. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10443; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If you want updates, stick to the GS4. If you don't care about them and rather root, go with the G2. Vanilla Android + S800 = blazing fast.
38. freebee269 (Posts: 537; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
the best thing about having my optimus g was the xda community brung 4.1.2 to it alot faster than lg did. since this is the top android phone spec wise that's out, i'm sure there will be xda support and it will get 4.3. not sure about 5.0. it depends on how much the kernel changes from 4.3 to 5.0. the optimus g was easy to root. i suspect this will be also. and if it's anything like the optimus g was, when the next nexus comes out it may share the same hardware as this g2 (like the optimus g did with the nexus 4) so bringing 5.0 from the nexus 5 to the g2 may not be that hard.
43. ryan5609 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
I want to root and unlock my VZW GS4. But I am currently stuck on the VRUAME7 build, which has successful root, but does not yet have an unlock method. So as of right now, I cannot install a custom ROM. I am getting a little worried, even though their is a $5000 bounty on finding an unlock method. I am sure it will only be a matter of time, but I am impatient.
39. gentleman559 (Posts: 22; Member since: 08 Aug 2013)
Do people seriously wait on carrier updates when places like XDA exist? I dunno but the first thing I do with my phones when I get them is root it and figure out which rom is going to be slapped on it.
40. roldefol (Posts: 4178; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It would make buying phones easier if I didn't care and planned to root all along, but I need my phone to work flawlessly as a phone. A stock rom is useless to me if I can't talk, text, use bluetooth, etc. without fail. I still trust the phone company to assure my smartphone is a phone.
41. kanagadeepan (Posts: 920; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
520Euro for 16GB + microSD slot S4 and 629Euro for 32GB G2... So the price difference is 109Euros, imho...
47. volcano (Posts: 347; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
these android oems are useless they can't create anything they can't innovate they just copy
learn something from microsoft and nokia
50. skyline88 (Posts: 456; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
LG Optimus G Pro and Samsung Galaxy S4 are both having the same price tag in my country (both base model).